AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
In January, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service imposed new rules that require all those who wish to import lions legally hunted in Africa to apply for and obtain import permits in order to bring their lions into the U.S. The permit requirement applies only to lions hunted on or after January 23, 2016. To our knowledge, the FWS has not yet issued any permits and for that reason the permit requirements, at least for the present, appear to be acting like a complete ban on lion importation.

SCI and SCIF are researching the impact of the FWS’s new permit requirement. SCI and SCIF have been asked by the government of the United Kingdom to provide information to help the UK decide whether to impose a total ban on importation of African lion trophies into the UK by the end of 2017. One of the questions the UK government is asking is whether there is evidence of the impact of increased regulation (such as in the United States) on lion hunting. To help us determine the impact, we need your help.

If you applied for a permit to import a lion into the U.S., we want to hear from you. Please let us know whether your permit is for a lion that you have already taken or for a lion hunt in the future. Also, please let us know from which country you have or intend to take a lion. If you have received a response to your permit application, please share what the FWS provided in that response. Finally, please tell us if you cancelled a lion hunt as a result of the listing of lions and permit requirement imposed by the FWS.

Please provide this information at your earliest opportunity to Matt Lewis, at mlewis@safariclub.org.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

Maybe we should all start making multiple future permit applications

Mekaniks, Interested in your previous comment. What would that accomplish? Just curious, because I don't know.

Mekaniks, Interested in your previous comment. What would that accomplish? Just curious, because I don't know.

We work together to make them deal with the permitting process. IMO the permits are to discourage import. So if we do nothing and no one applies for permits they win. If 10,000 of us start applying for future permits, they will have to deal with it. The worst thing that happens is they finally call it what it is, AN IMPORT BAN. At the end of the day if it doesn't work, at least we tried. If we do nothing I know exactly what happens....NOTHING.

We work together to make them deal with the permitting process. IMO the permits are to discourage import. So if we do nothing and no one applies for permits they win. If 10,000 of us start applying for future permits, they will have to deal with it. The worst thing that happens is they finally call it what it is, AN IMPORT BAN. At the end of the day if it doesn't work, at least we tried. If we do nothing I know exactly what happens....NOTHING.
Would you not have to have at least a potential reservation with a safari operator in which you were going to make that hunt. I would think you have know where you will hunt and who with to apply for the permit. Yes ? No?

Would you not have to have at least a potential reservation with a safari operator in which you were going to make that hunt. I would think you have know where you will hunt and who with to apply for the permit. Yes ? No?

I dunno....but they will still have to deal with each of us and our permit requests. If we keep track of the responses via SCI we will have some horsepower to change the "permit process". People working together is democracy in action....

From the Fish & Wildlife website:

What criteria must be met for the Service to consider issuing a permit for the import of a sport hunted P. l. melanochaita trophy?
The permitting program would allow importation of sport-hunted P. l. melanochaita trophies only from range countries that have management programs that are based on scientifically sound data and are being implemented to address the threats that are facing lions within that country. Such management programs would be expected to address, but are not limited to: evaluating population levels and trends; the biological needs of the species; quotas; management practices; legal protection; local community involvement; and use of hunting fees for conservation. In evaluating these factors, the Service will work closely with the range countries and interested parties to obtain the best available scientific and commercial data. By allowing entry into the United States of P. l. melanochaita sport-hunted trophies from range countries that have scientifically based management programs, the range countries would be encouraged to adopt and financially support the sustainable management of lions that benefits both the species and local communities.

Of course they don't tell you what countries those are or what the criteria is for them to evaluate the management program.

Of course they don't tell you what countries those are or what the criteria is for them to evaluate the management program.

Exactly why we should start applying for permits and make them tell us what their criteria is. The reality of it is that they don't know either, so if we work together maybe we can effect some positive change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of the hunters caught up in this whole permit fiasco. We do however want USFWS to actually take time to review what we have sent in and what the country sent in and not make a rash decision. If they do not make an enhancement finding for Zimbabwe this is a ban and no amount of scientific data will matter. Time will tell but I expect to receive a permit this fall, but of course I am an optimist!
Regards,
Philip

I might have to see what the situation is in the UK

Jerome is there any indications yet on hunting captive bread lions?

Let's face is fellow hunters, the days of hunting lion are still in effect. Bringing it home is another story completely. Unless this country breaks away from its liberal leaning ways hunters will suffer on some levels. But alas we have SCI to help us all out! :ROFLMAO:

SCI has not been able to carry the load. They are not putting out good magazines anymore, less TV show and advertising. Everyone notices changes. I'm not sure they will be as great as they were use to be. But at the same time no one else is stepping up for the battle too. SCI is run by volunteers, they just don't have enough help right now.

From the Fish & Wildlife website:

What criteria must be met for the Service to consider issuing a permit for the import of a sport hunted P. l. melanochaita trophy?
The permitting program would allow importation of sport-hunted P. l. melanochaita trophies only from range countries that have management programs that are based on scientifically sound data and are being implemented to address the threats that are facing lions within that country. Such management programs would be expected to address, but are not limited to: evaluating population levels and trends; the biological needs of the species; quotas; management practices; legal protection; local community involvement; and use of hunting fees for conservation. In evaluating these factors, the Service will work closely with the range countries and interested parties to obtain the best available scientific and commercial data. By allowing entry into the United States of P. l. melanochaita sport-hunted trophies from range countries that have scientifically based management programs, the range countries would be encouraged to adopt and financially support the sustainable management of lions that benefits both the species and local communities.

This was obviously written by lawyers and bureaucrats to ensure no lions are imported, it is a de facto ban.

Let's break it down:
1. As MMAL notes it doesn't list the countries that comply with the requirements.
2. What are these mythical requirements? Well, we don't know exactly, but they are scientifically sound.
3. "The management programs would be expected to address, but are not limited to" This means we can essentially make up whatever standards we want. Oh, you want to import a lion that was shot on tuesday, sorry, lions shot on tuesday don't qualify.
4. USFW will work with "interested parties" i.e. we'll work with all the tree huggers and anti-hunting groups to make sure you never see your lion trophy.

Two courses of action I see. First, people need to apply and challenge the system. Second, we need a new administration friendly to hunting.

I am one of the hunters caught up in this whole permit fiasco. We do however want USFWS to actually take time to review what we have sent in and what the country sent in and not make a rash decision. If they do not make an enhancement finding for Zimbabwe this is a ban and no amount of scientific data will matter. Time will tell but I expect to receive a permit this fall, but of course I am an optimist!
Regards,
Philip
Philip, where is the permit form you filled out to request the import. I looked all through the USFW web site and all I saw is what was posted above by MMAL, nothing said about how to and when to apply. My thinking is there is not a form yet for future lion hunters. Post a link to what forms you used. It has to have info inputted as to who and where you want to hunt and when!

You have to love open ending statements:whistle::sneaky:

We will look into it.................

We will get back to you...........

You can apply............

You have to love open ending statements:whistle::sneaky:

We will look into it.................

We will get back to you...........

You can apply............

Typical bureaucratic red tape government work = total BS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GennieHowe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.