Has Delta lost their minds?

Delta is not always expensive , last year my wife and I got round trip tickets from Missoula mont. for $ 1,411 it was the about the cheapest we could find anywhere. It was advertised as a major carrier non stop from Atlanta but wouldn't tell who with, but since that was was the only non stop I knew it had to be Delta and booked them.

What site was that? What dates?

We flew out on the 19th of July and back on Aug. 12th. I found the tickets on Booking Buddy.

Heard some good ones regarding Delta....

Don’t Expect Luggage To Arrive
Doesn’t Ever Leave The Airport
Delays Expected Landings Thru Atlanta

Do you mean the airlines have a way to track you and raise prices ? Please explain to some one who is not real computer savvy.
This is true and I have seen it happen on AA.
Philip

Put your mind at ease. Book with Lori at Travel Express. Best deals. Can't be beat. Forget the rest.

Although I'm not planning a trip this year, my friend and his family are looking to make their first safari. While at the DSC show, we had a travel agent check a few prices. For late July, she pulled up $3,400 for a coach seat ! Skymiles is over 400,000. That is ludicrous and a $1,000 more than the quoted price last year. At $2,400 last year, I had to make the move to Emirates. I can't see how Delta will keep the plane booked at those prices. Is this what others are seeing for Delta? I know Phil mentioned he is going Qatar this year- but I heard from an SA outfit that flew Qatar over for the shows and they were disappointed. I didn't get to the exact issue they had, but all in the group expressed the same sentiment. I'll be interested in Phil's report later.

On another positive note, Delta did fly over my crate last week that is in transit from Atl to Hou as we speak !! It was only $700- maybe I'll pack myself in a crate next time :D

I am going to East London, RSA in April 2019. I am flying KLM from Calgary, AB through Amsterdam to Johannesburg and East London. $2007.54, all fees and taxes included.

I am going to East London, RSA in April 2019. I am flying KLM from Calgary, AB through Amsterdam to Johannesburg and East London. $2007.54, all fees and taxes included.
I've looked at a few flights through Amsterdam but my understanding is that they are not weapon friendly , even archery equipment so I have avoided that stop .

I've looked at a few flights through Amsterdam but my understanding is that they are not weapon friendly , even archery equipment so I have avoided that stop .

Not true. You have to apply for a free transit permit. You will require an US export permit. The thing they will not let through is broadheads. All other archery tackle is allowed I believe.

As a firearms hunter, it really is no issue.

Not true. You have to apply for a free transit permit. You will require an US export permit. The thing they will not let through is broadheads. All other archery tackle is allowed I believe.

As a firearms hunter, it really is no issue.
Since I bowhunt and I've read that arrows with broadheads are confiscated besides just broadheads , that's enough for me to steer clear!

Just ship/mail your broadheads to your outfitter or buy some in South Africa. Just spoke to a bowhunter from Calgary last weekend. No issues with bow equipment on KLM/Amsterdam, except his broadheads were not allowed. He bought some in South Africa.

Just ship/mail your broadheads to your outfitter or buy some in South Africa. Just spoke to a bowhunter from Calgary last weekend. No issues with bow equipment on KLM/Amsterdam, except his broadheads were not allowed. He bought some in South Africa.
That would work for some people, but my wooden arrows for my traditional bow the broadheads are glued on to the shafts, and as for just buying heads when you get there for modern arrows you have to arrive early enough to go shopping and then you don't have the opportunity to put them on a spin tester to check them on your arrows. It is kind of like a hand loader who works up a load but can't take them but can buy ammo off the shelf in SA it will probably be ok just not optimal.

Then you should avoid KLM/Amsterdam at all cost.

Just curious, why go through Amsterdam with any hunting stuff? Are the flights super cheap through there?

Just curious, why go through Amsterdam with any hunting stuff? Are the flights super cheap through there?
Chicago - amsterdam - joburg round trip $880.00 . This is leaving the end of may and returning the middle of june . Last year I paid 100 more. The online gun permit application is no problem. I wish South Africa would do the same thing and save us all some time in the police station at the airport in joburg. Klm staff is very friendly and professional. Last year 7 bow hunters got on the flight I was on. I asked them " Are you buying broad heads in South Africa? " they looked at me puzzled. When we landed in joburg they checked their packs and the heads made it with no problem. My guess is the transfer of flights in amsterdam doesn't include a separate scan of baggage already checked in the states. That being said I in no way would bring broad heads in my luggage after reading the rules set forth by the Netherlands. Another nice thing about the klm flight landing in joburg at 9pm is I have been the only person getting my gun cleared at the police station. I have waited in line for hours when I used to fly the delta 200 flight and 30 guns get cleared each flight . I will continue to use klm. I in no way see why I need to spend 1200 more to fly delta. Klm in my book is better.
My best tip for traveling to South Africa is to wear a springbok sweatshirt through the airport. Blend in and no one bothers you.

Chicago - amsterdam - joburg round trip $880.00 . This is leaving the end of may and returning the middle of june . Last year I paid 100 more. The online gun permit application is no problem. I wish South Africa would do the same thing and save us all some time in the police station at the airport in joburg. Klm staff is very friendly and professional. Last year 7 bow hunters got on the flight I was on. I asked them " Are you buying broad heads in South Africa? " they looked at me puzzled. When we landed in joburg they checked their packs and the heads made it with no problem. My guess is the transfer of flights in amsterdam doesn't include a separate scan of baggage already checked in the states. That being said I in no way would bring broad heads in my luggage after reading the rules set forth by the Netherlands. Another nice thing about the klm flight landing in joburg at 9pm is I have been the only person getting my gun cleared at the police station. I have waited in line for hours when I used to fly the delta 200 flight and 30 guns get cleared each flight . I will continue to use klm. I in no way see why I need to spend 1200 more to fly delta. Klm in my book is better.
My best tip for traveling to South Africa is to wear a springbok sweatshirt through the airport. Blend in and no one bothers you.

That's a VERY good deal!

Sundays you'll find fares generally a bit lower I think just because of lower web traffic to the airlines and 3rd parties who book flights.

I don't actually write the software, I try and keep our software and the networks free of bad guys.
I know this is an old thread but I have a question. How do you get around the algorithm that raises the prices on tickets when you continually are searching for fares? I have this happen to me a lot on AA.
Thanks,
Philip

You will need to clear your cookies. Or use google flights or ITA Matrix to search for your flights. Google flights is easier to book it will take you to the fare. Matrix requires a cut and paste.

I know this is an old thread but I have a question. How do you get around the algorithm that raises the prices on tickets when you continually are searching for fares? I have this happen to me a lot on AA.
Thanks,
Philip

Set your browser to Incognito mode. You can simply Google how to do it.

Just fly business and pick airlines on the basis of service. :unsure:

Thanks,
Philip

The only thing you can really do to dodge the algos, maybe, is to use different browsers, and clear the cache (delete all cookies) after you go to a given website. That won't be fool-proof, of course, as they're almost certainly capturing/storing your public IP address when you connect to them.

How ISPs issue IP addresses to customers (how DHCP works)

ISPs use DHCP (Dynamic Host Communication Protocol) to issue public addresses to their customers' routers. The way DHCP works is you get a "lease" for whatever period of time the ISP deems appropriate for their circumstance. It could be as few as 12 hrs or as many as 2 weeks, though I think 5-7 days is normal.

If your router is still connected at the midpoint of the lease, the ISP's DHCP server will renew your lease automatically (using the same IP address). If you've turned your router off for whatever reason, once the midpoint of the lease is reached, the DHCP server will keep reaching out for the remainder of the lease to re-issue that same IP address to your router. If your router doesn't come back online before the lease expires, your IP address will be put back in the pool. If you come back online before that IP address is re-issued to another customer's router, your ISP will re-issue that same IP address back to your router (because the ISP knows your router's MAC address and knows which IP address it had assigned to that MAC address).

Since IP addresses are so reliably linked to a single user, or at least to a single household with no more than 2 adults, the algos can make assumptions and mostly be right. So there might not be a cookie that the client-side can send back the data for, but your IP info, and all info related to it, is stored in that web server's DB (or it is if the developers know what they're doing, which at my former employer, was a dead lock certainty...those dudes are some smart mofos).

The only way to beat that is with a VPN. I use Nord VPN a lot, not really to dodge those kinds of algos, though I am dodging algos. I am in security, after all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you