Has anyone booked or flown Delta to JNB and back through CPT lately?

Arctic97

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia, R.S.A., Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Michigan, Missouri, California, Florida
Just wondering if anyone has booked or flown Delta's ATL-JNB-CPT-ATL route lately?

They have yet to even fly that route.
I see that now that I look into it further. I see they are taking bookings on it in about the second week of July. SO has anyone booked on it yet? Is there any faith in it, is what I guess I am asking our fellow enthusiast on here?

Qatar Airways is flying and is what most of us are booking at the moment.

To properly plan any of these big trips, best to have maybe a year's head start. Delta has accepted bookings and then cancelled multiple intl flights beginning in 2020 continuing into mid-2021. So only a fool would have any faith in booking a Delta flight to JNB right now at this late a date for any kind of 2021 trip to Africa. If looking into booking to JNB from US, I'd forget Delta and get assistance from a US based travel agent familiar with Africa like Travel Express, Gracy or TWG for booking. Consider Qatar, Emirates or even Ethiopian Air. To he!! with Delta- let them continue this US taxpayer bail-out masquerade shell game without me and hopefully without anyone else. Additionally, why support a company like Delta that apparently has gone all in on this WOKE crap!

Last edited:
I see that now that I look into it further. I see they are taking bookings on it in about the second week of July. SO has anyone booked on it yet? Is there any faith in it, is what I guess I am asking our fellow enthusiast on here?

We are booked September 15. If they don’t start flying by June 1st we are going to book Qatar as a insurance policy!

To properly plan any of these big trips, best to have maybe a year's head start. Delta has accepted bookings and then cancelled multiple intl flights beginning in 2020 continuing into mid-2021. So only a fool would have any faith in booking a Delta flight to JNB right now at this late a date for any kind of 2021 trip to Africa. If looking into booking to JNB from US, I'd forget Delta and get assistance from a US based travel agent familiar with Africa like Travel Express, Gracy or TWG for booking. Consider Qatar, Emirates or even Ethiopian Air. To he!! with Delta- let them continue this US taxpayer bail-out masquerade shell game without me and hopefully without anyone else.

Yeah delta is canceling now but last fall Qatar said they were going to start flying into Namibia 0n October 1st so we booked a trip with Qatar. They canceled our flights twice then said nope not going to fly into Namibia!! All airlines will cancel flights If not enough people fly or government changes rules. Having said that we will look into booking with Qatar June 1st as an insurance policy if delta is still not flying to South Africa in September

Last edited:
If forced into Plan B, C or D, as remaining carrier flights fill up closer and closer to travel date, you may lose seat choices, money and even available date choices. But hey, forums like this one are replete with examples of dust up travel issues that are usually avoidable. Good luck :)

The above sentiment is kind of what we are feeling also, but wanted to get a pulse on the subject.
I just look at the ability to have only 2 flights, Boise - ATL - JNB and done in 24 hours, and I like it. Plus we are going to depart from Cape Town, so it would only be 2 flights back to Boise in less than 24 hours. I have flown a few different routes down there and in the end I like this one the best. Plus I have some American Express card credits sitting there for delta burning a hole in my pocket. Just not sure if I have enough trust to book with them yet......

Just got back from SA flying Qatar the only surprise is they only allow 1 checked bag unless you pay extra. Having flown Ba, SA, Emirates, and Delta internationally, Qatar was the only one with a one bag allowance.

Just got back from SA flying Qatar the only surprise is they only allow 1 checked bag unless you pay extra. Having flown Ba, SA, Emirates, and Delta internationally, Qatar was the only one with a one bag allowance.
Thank you. Good to know, but no firearms this time for us for a change, so baggage is no issue. I HATE not having my own gear, but there is enough other hassle this year and we have a weeks other travel planned that will be easier without the guns.

Reached out this week to Travel Express about October plans. Their reply to inquiry: Thanks for the email regarding your trip to South Africa. We regret that we are unable to help with your trip as we are not taking on new clients at this time. Our top priority is to provide the best all around service to our travelers and in order to do this we have made this tough choice. We remain dedicated to serving our current and previous clients.

I'm really sorry that we can't take on your reservation and hope you have a great trip to South Africa.

Might look into United as another option. By looking at several of their flights in June to Joberg you will see they are 98%+ booked. In my opinion they will fly starting in June compared to Delta just kicking the can down the road.

That’s weird. I just flew Qatar 4/9 back 4/19. Two checked bags, they were very adamant about carry on weight though

Qatar canceled my flight to Windhoek. Rebooked on Ethiopian. I would choose either one over Delta. They frankly disgust me and I have had a bad experience with them before when flying to Egypt .

That’s weird. I just flew Qatar 4/9 back 4/19. Two checked bags, they were very adamant about carry on weight though
My flight was also 4/9 and back 4/23. They never looked twice at carry ons or personal items.

It was a $100 bucks extra each way

I’m leaving in 2 weeks on Qatar, flying economy and my ticket allows 2 checked bags. Looking at the seats there probably aren’t 30 seats filled on the entire plane so leg room shouldn’t be a problem. However, if you are taking firearms I’d highly recommend a travel agent, that is if you can find one that’s taking clients right now. The process is insanely difficult with firearms if you don’t have a travel agent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg