Greetings from Utah

Greenhead_Slayer

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
First time poster, long time lurker from Utah. I’m booked for my first Africa adventure for May of ‘24 and couldn’t be more excited! My son and I will be headed to SA for plains game, possibly a cape buffalo too if the stars align budget wise.

I’ve spent most my life hunting waterfowl, elk, deer, antelope, and other big game in Utah and the adjacent states, but have never done anything comparable to an Africa trip. My 9 year old son drew a ewe Rocky Mountain sheep in New Mexico last year. He made a great shot and is hooked. I lucked out and also drew a Wyoming bison tag and harvested in January. For the cost of those 2 non-resident tags we could’ve had a pretty long harvest list in Africa! I’ve got a few data points for some stateside hunts, and am looking forward to swapping them for some Africa advice.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to the site, let us know what part of Utah. I grew up around the Provo/Orem area but have lived, hunted, fished and worked all over the state before I headed to Colorado 35 years ago.

Welcome to the site, let us know what part of Utah. I grew up around the Provo/Orem area but have lived, hunted, fished and worked all over the state before I headed to Colorado 35 years ago.

Nice. I'm a bit further north up around Ogden. Colorado is also beautiful! Looking forward to hopefully drawing a good deer tag around the Dinosaur area this year.

Welcome to the dark side. Congratulations on booking your "First" safari. You picked a great place to start your journey to hunt Africa, lots of knowledgeable people here.

Welcome aboard Greenhead_Slayer, hunting Africa with your son will be an experience unlike anything you've ever known before. Play your cards right and no doubt it will be just the first of many. You are correct about the costs; it was cheaper for us (Easterners) to hunt Africa than to hunt Elk out West. Be aware that Taxidermy fees can cost you as much as the hunt, that is if you get everything mounted. Choose your mounts wisely. What caliber rifles will you and your son be using? Are they yours or will you be renting? What animals are on the menu?

Welcome to AH.
It is a great feeling to have a countdown clock set and ticking towards a hunt, but especially your first trip to Africa. Enjoy all the prep and planning as well as the hunt. Looking forward to your first hunt report.

Welcome to AH Greenhead_Slayer! Well done on booking your first African hunt and glad to have you join the conversation.

Hello Greenhead_Slayer,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome aboard Greenhead_Slayer, hunting Africa with your son will be an experience unlike anything you've ever known before. Play your cards right and no doubt it will be just the first of many. You are correct about the costs; it was cheaper for us (Easterners) to hunt Africa than to hunt Elk out West. Be aware that Taxidermy fees can cost you as much as the hunt, that is if you get everything mounted. Choose your mounts wisely. What caliber rifles will you and your son be using? Are they yours or will you be renting? What animals are on the menu?

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is getting absurd for the cost to find a good bull elk anymore. I've been really fortunate with drawing some good tags throughout the west and have been able to DIY most of them. I drew a random San Juan elk tag in Utah a few years ago, which is arguably one of the top 3 units in the state, and it was brutal. I'm still licking my wounds from a tough hunt. The full moon, heat, and drought all combined at the same time to make the hunt really tough. Ended up passing a few average bulls and eventually ate my tag. Africa is part of the healing process I think!

I'm a bit torn on what calibers we will be using. More than likely, a 300 win mag with a 180-grain TTSX out of a Sako Finnbear. That's been my go-to combination for elk and bison for the last decade and really enjoy shooting it. That packs a lot of recoil for my son though, and I plan on surprising him and letting him shoot an animal or two (impala/blesbok/warthog/duiker/baboon?), so I may bring the 6.5 PRC for him to shoot some of the smaller critters with. The 300 win mag is just a bit too much for him still recoil-wise. May see if the PH has something we could line out as I'm not thrilled with the idea of taking 2 guns.

The current contract consists of nyala, kudu, bushbuck, zebra, golden wildebeest, springbuck, and gemsbuck. A big kudu and big gemsbok are the top 2 wishes. If the opportunity arises, probably will add some of those above mentioned for my son. I'd really like to add a sable, roan, or even a cape buffalo, hell let's be honest, I want one of everything haha. Trying to take the advice of others and just enjoy the first trip knowing that I will likely be back again. The wish-list and budget are having some trouble staying aligned.

Any animals I should strongly consider adding? We will be around the Limpopo area.

Welcome to the forum. There are several of us from Utah on here. Some of us even get together and do a big bore shoot once a year. Normally at the Price range.
Good luck on your hunt I’m sure you’ll have a good time. Cant wait to read the report

Welcome from Wyoming! I have been to Africa once about 7 years ago and am going back this August.
Like others have said, once you go to Africa it won't be a matter of if you go back, but when!

Greenhead_Slayer, sounds like a good plan. However, I'd recommend you going to a 200 gr. bullet for your 300 Win Mag. My youngest grandson has been shooting a 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser for a couple of years now. He started doing so at the age of 9. Bringing two guns to Africa isn't a problem. They can both be put into one Double Case.

Sorry to hear San Juan was unkind to you-elk ridge is one of my favorite places on earth. I would add waterbuck to your list, again one of my favorites. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross