Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Lifetime NRA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Oklahoma, Kansas, Minnesota, Texas, Spain
Hello all! While I have been hunting only once in my life, I am very interested in learning more and actually experiencing Africa some day! From the little bit I have seen, this is the best place to learn outside of Africa. My boyfriend is on here all the time and got me interested in joining the forum to learn more.

Welcome aboard! There alot of friendly people here , way smarter than your boyfriend ;), with more information to learn from.

Welcome to AH, its great place to learn about hunting.

Welcome to AH Just Gina! And who could this wipartimer possibly be(n)?
Here’s hoping you two make it to Africa sooner than later. Just like the US it is constantly changing.
Get yourself some experience in OK with small game, varmints, deer, turkey and hogs. Practice getting on sticks and shooting quickly. A 22 Rimfire is excellent practice. Get a bolt gun to replicate the gun you’ll use in Africa. Shots in the bushveld will be under 100 yards and out to 200 yards. DG around 30 yards in fractions of a second.
You’ll be ready when the opportunity comes.
Best of luck experiencing your dream!

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to AH Gina!

Welcome aboard Gina. Your boyfriend is a lucky fellow, and you can tell him I said so. The number of women hunters is on the rise as well as the availability of gear including rifles designed specifically for them. I hope you find the time you spend on AH enjoyable as well as informative. Depending on your shooting skills, as an instructor I'd suggest finding someone other than your boyfriend "show you the ropes."

Welcome to the forum Ma’am, enjoy yourself and ask questions, you won’t get ridiculed on this site for asking.
Cheers,
Cody

Welcome to AH.

Welcome to the forum. Always nice to have another Okie. Hope you get to do a lot more hunting and make it to Africa. You’ll never forget it.

Welcome to AH Just Gina!

Howdy!

Welcome to AH! Hope to see you hunting in Africa soon.

Welcome. Love Tulsa, lived in Stillwater for 10 years. Lots to learn here. Enjoy!

Welcome to AH Just Gina!

You must insist on being properly outfitted for an African Safari, don't let your boyfriend off the hook (I hear he has a LOT of money!):

First, you need authentic Safari clothing! A shopping trip to African Sporting Creations for pants, shorts, shirts and a nice pair of Courtney boots! They also have an on-line website so you can save him the cost of airfare to fly to Ohio, just grab his CC! www.africansportingcreations.com

Like others have posted, you will need multiple firearms that are yours! Don't let him talk you into "borrowing" one of his!

You will need a .22 to start practicing with, then I recommend a .223 for more realistic practice shooting off of "sticks" (you can also order those from the above website, don't buy the cheap ones, you need the best for Africa!). You will also need at least 5000 rounds of 22 LR and a thousand rounds of .223. All can be purchased on-line with a CC.

You will need a good plains game rifle, have him get you a nice wood stocked 30-06 with Zeiss or Swarovski scope. Again, don't let him skimp, you need the top of the line models from those companies. There are many choices for a 30-06 but you will need a custom fitted one so it fits you well. Don't let him buy you a Savage, Remington or Winchester.

You will also need a big rifle for bigger African game. Now this is really important, it needs to be a double rifle and custom fitted. Custom fit stocks will greatly help in mitigating recoil. Being such a nice guy and trying not to spend all his money, combine a nice vacation to London England and while you are there, stop by the Holland & Holland factory, they will be able to custom fit a rifle for you and you can choose the engraving while you are there! If he really loves you, they can also make you a 30-06 bolt gun!

If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask! Like @wipartimer stated, we are a smart bunch on this web-site and will steer you straight!

Michelle and I look forward to meeting you some day soon!

Edge

Last edited:
Welcome to AH Gina !

Welcome to AH Gina, along with all the new hunting gear you will need a new house with high vaulted ceilings to display all of your trophies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg