Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, RSA (Limpopo, Eastern Cape), Zimbabwe (Omay North X 2, Dande Safari Area, Dande East), Botswana
New to the forum, although I have stumbled across it several times on searches. Took my family to RSA last year and watched my sons (15, 11) take several plains game animals. I didn't plan to hunt on that trip, but after seeing a few cape buffalo, I couldn't stand it and the hunt was on for me as well. As has probably happened to many folks, I was hooked. Now I'm booked for 2012 in Zimbabwe for elephant and buffalo with Martin Pieters, and I just received my first double rifle a few days ago from Searcy. I've gone off the deep end .... Anyhow, I hunt with a SxS shotgun often, but up until now I've never owned a gun with 2 triggers. I know "practice" will be the answer, but any other suggestions to help get proficient with finding the second trigger when it counts would be appreciated.

Welcome to AH Shakey feel free to share some pics and stories of your hunt in RSA, and be sure to fill us in on you hunt to Zimbabwe.

Glad to have you, welcome to AH Shakey. Congratulations on your new hunting addiction. It's one that many people seem to have on here. What caliber did you decide on in your new Searcy for your hunt in Zim?

some snap caps and dry fire while watching a hunting video should cover you for trigger management, loading, and shot placement.

Welcome to the forum,
Set up 2 targets in different locations. It will simulate taking a second shot on a running buff or ele. This will condition your trigger finger into finding the second trigger without thinking.

Thanks

I appreciate the welcome and the advice. I've been playing with the snap caps, and I don't know why I didn't think of the two targets in different locations. Quess that's why you ask questions. To answer the caliber question, I went with a .470. Long ago I adopted a philosophy of tried and true calibers with plenty of ammunition choices, so my rifles are .223, .308, .300 Win Mag, .375 H&H and now .470 NE. My kids started with a .223, then moved to the .308, and so on. My oldest (15) now thinks he should be the first to shoot the .470 ....

Well, you have certainly jumped into the deep water. Good for you. Those double triggers are hard to wrap your long fingers about on shotguns that I have tried. It is a very methodical process at the start. Always a thoughtful switching to the second trigger until it becomes second hand.
Good luck. Just make the first one count.

Welcome to AH! You sure picked a great outfitter to hunt with in Zimbabwe!

Welcome to the forum Shakey !

Welcome to the forum Shakey. Enjoy your hunt in Zim and post some pictures of your previous hunts...

Best regards,

Jacques

Welcome to AH Shakey! Thanks for sharing your trophy photos with us, your children seem to be enjoying hunting as much as you are. Looking forward to your participation on the site.

Welcome, great pics. Good to see you getting the kids out, Where were you when I was a kid!!! LOL

The RSA safari is the gift that keeps on giving. The capes and skulls just cleared customs a few weeks ago (more money), and the taxidermist is ready to visit (much more money), but I'll keep doing it with them for as long as I can. The whole family agrees it was by far the best trip we have ever had, and they talk just as excitedly about it today as the day we departed. Hopefully we'll do it again in 2013. Do you want a swimming pool which quickly becomes a money pit that no one uses, or a family safari that they'll remember for the rest of their lives ....

Very well put Shakey, and when we get to old to climb the hills we will have the great memories to share.

Welcome to the forum Shakey. Good luck on your hunt.

nd

As they say, practice makes perfect.

Hi Shaky,
Welcome to the forum. I have no doubt that you will have a great time hunting with Martin. He runs a top outfit. Please remember to post some pics when you get back.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegeafricagroup

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois