Greetings from New Hampshire

Weebs

AH member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Greetings from the great state of NH. I'm a deer hunter but over the last couple years I've developed a fascination with hunting Africa.

Now that my daughter's college is paid for (as well as her recent wedding) I'm starting to put away some $$ for my first trip. It's probably a couple years away still, but I'll get there.

AH has been an invaluable source of info for me. Thanks for all the great posts.

Weebs

Welcome to AH Weebs! Glad you found us! What do you have in mind for your first?

Plainsgame in SA I think. Something I don't have to buy all new equipment for.

Welcome Weebs...

We have many great PH on AH that should be able to help you out.

Most deer hunting rifles will work for a plains game hunt. No new equipment is needed, unless you have the urge to splurge...

So you have Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe to look consider.

Welcome Weebs...

We have many great PH on AH that should be able to help you out.

Most deer hunting rifles will work for a plains game hunt. No new equipment is needed, unless you have the urge to splurge...

So you have Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe to look consider.

Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated.

My main deer gun is a Savage in .308. I don't see a lot of folks on here using that caliber. Is it unpopular for Africa?

Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated.

My main deer gun is a Savage in .308. I don't see a lot of folks on here using that caliber. Is it unpopular for Africa?

Welcome to AH Weebs! A .308 will be just fine for all the PG species, but a bit light for Eland. An Eland is a big critter and something that hits harder would be better. That said, my son killed an Eland with his .308 last year. Proper placement of a stoutly built bullet will get the job done.

Welcome and I hope you get your dream.

Welcome!

Be careful though. This place is contagious. You think you have a fascination now? Just wait! :)

Welcome to AH, Weebs!

Welcome Weebs! You are so screwed now! Contagious is almost an understatement. Wait until you start dissecting the deals section!

Concrats on the life accomplishments and the beginning of this new endeavor. The 308 will do just fine if you shoot it well and use well constructed bullets. There are lots of animals to take before you need to worry about eland anyway. And I would bet that if you got there and wanted an eland, you can either take it with your 308, or your PH might have something bigger to borrow to you. Don't allow yourself to fall into the trap some of us may lay out there with our enthusiasm for new and different guns as well as pet calibers and equipment... Recognize the huge difference between want and need. I have a couple dozen guns because of want. I "need" them all because...... Well just because! But you will do fine with the 308.

You have good plan in not buying new equipment. Absolutely nothing wrong that plan. A couple drab colored tee shirts, worn blue jeans, hiking boots and a pair of tennis shoes, a light jacket that would shed a little rain in case of an odd sprinkle, one long sleeve shirt for early morning, late evening. A reliable bolt gun and a good scope. If you want any new equipment, a good pair of binos might be the first investment to make, if you don't have a pair. Don't need a range finder but if you have one, take it. You will need a good lockable hard travel case, as well as a lockable plastic ammo case, but if you own a pistol with a lockable case, use that for the ammo.

Save your money for more critters on the hunt!

Don't allow yourself to fall into the trap some of us may lay out there with our enthusiasm for new and different guns as well as pet calibers and equipment.

Ha! You've never seen my gun collection. The Savage in .308 is my "main" deer gun. The Rem 760 in .30-06, my .30-30 lever action and a couple others are "back-up" deer guns.

Plus my shotguns and muzzleloader if I need them.

Did I mention my obsession with AR-15s? Got 7 or 8 of those. And I just bought a new lower in 9mm that I'm building as an SBR. It will be suppressed with a folding stock.

Let's not talk about handguns either. I could go on an on ...

Ok ok, you have to keep the 760 and lever guns, and a few of the AR's... But if you've got that many, better start figuring out which ones to part with an go shopping for a 375! Find a Winchester M70 Safari Express in 375 H & H and jump into the trap I just mentioned! Oh and start shopping for double travel case while your at it.... But mainly save up for the hunt!!

Ha! You've never seen my gun collection. The Savage in .308 is my "main" deer gun. The Rem 760 in .30-06, my .30-30 lever action and a couple others are "back-up" deer guns.

Plus my shotguns and muzzleloader if I need them.

Did I mention my obsession with AR-15s? Got 7 or 8 of those. And I just bought a new lower in 9mm that I'm building as an SBR. It will be suppressed with a folding stock.

Let's not talk about handguns either. I could go on an on ...

Weebs, welcome to the best forum,

As others have said, check the "Deals" section from time to time.

There are some excellent Safari Companies and PHs, advertizing some excellent deals here but, be sure to speak thoroughly with their references before booking a trip.

Fair warning, once you have seen bush Africa, you will be anxious to get home and sell those ARs, and some of those other misc firearms, in order to help pay your way back over again (even though I did not have a cord of ARs, that's the sort of thing I did).

I agree with others here that your .308 will be fine for most non-dangerous African animals, provided you use a rather tough/heavy bullet and more importantly, that you place it in the right spot.

A PH I know (John Luyt of Duke Safaris) uses a .308 and 180 grain Swift A-Frame bullet for so called Plains Game.

He is often quoted by me as saying: "I have never seen an A-Frame fail."

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH Weebs! The .308Win is a very popular caliber in South Africa and you will need nothing more for a plains game safari. For the last 6 years or so, I've been loading mine with 130gr expanding solids , running at about 3000fps. This has become the rifle I rent out to my guests, and they will attest to its killing power. That rifle is tack driver.
If your .308Win is the rifle that you are comfortable with, and it seems to be the one that you use most and know best, I think you already have your answer on which one will be joining you on your safari.
All the best for your planning.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH, Weebs

Glad you've enjoyed AH thus far. Look forward to your participation.
Welcome.

Welcome to AH Weebs! SA is a good Choice a lot of great Outfitter on here from RSA. I have taken my .308 to RSA and it worked fine for most medium size game but a little light for larger game like Wildebeest, Eland and Gemsbok it was even a little light for those tough Warthogs. I would reccomend a .270 as a minimum for a light rifle on your first huntand if you see a really large Animal that you just can't live without then you can get the loan of a proper size rifle for that animal from the PH or Outfitter. Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg