Good Gun Deals This Week

The pictures and history make this one. Good luck!
I don't know. I am with @Mark A Ouellette on this one. The rifle has no collector value at all due to the rechambering. The excessive recoil of the Weatherby is the likely culprit behind the damaged stock. You are essentially bidding on a barreled action.

I don't know. I am with @Mark A Ouellette on this one. The rifle has no collector value at all due to the rechambering. The excessive recoil of the Weatherby is the likely culprit behind the damaged stock. You are essentially bidding on a barreled action.
This is 100% correct. This rifle would not be particularly to my taste, but the OP said he liked the velocity of the Weatherby.

It’s a nice barreled action (presumably) and stocks are relatively cheap and plentiful. If a person liked this chambering, this wouldn’t be a bad purchase at mid 1000 money. The rebarrel job alone would cost that.

See it had a reserve on it... for the life of me I don't know why they won't start it at the reserve price and save bidders the hassle of chasing the damn thing and then not get it with the top bid!

See it had a reserve on it... for the life of me I don't know why they won't start it at the reserve price and save bidders the hassle of chasing the damn thing and then not get it with the top bid!
Yeah, when I see reserve on something for sale I keep on scrolling. I bid on a reserve once or twice and for me it's a waste of time and effort.

Entire A-Square collection coming up in 5 days on Proxibid.
Screenshot_20240212_214244_Chrome.jpg

Not a bad deal when you look at what the new ones are going for

Attachments

• Mauser 98 Expert In 7X57 for sale.pdf
    332.8 KB · Views: 26
Not a bad deal when you look at what the new ones are going for

I've been fascinated by the fact that Mausers and Rigbys are built in the same factory in large part, and are at parity on pricepoint, but the Mausers finish quality is a lot lower. The example above has mediocre wood for an $8000 used gun, and the finish is quite poor with open pores, it doesn't have express sights on a quarter rib, it has a matte bluing, and the checkering looks unimpressive.

Not trying to offend modern Mauser buyers, I just don't get it. For the same money the same gun can be finished in British dimensions with Rigby engraved on the action and has a lot more value over time?

I've been fascinated by the fact that Mausers and Rigbys are built in the same factory in large part, and are at parity on pricepoint, but the Mausers finish quality is a lot lower. The example above has mediocre wood for an $8000 used gun, and the finish is quite poor with open pores, it doesn't have express sights on a quarter rib, it has a matte bluing, and the checkering looks unimpressive.

Not trying to offend modern Mauser buyers, I just don't get it. For the same money the same gun can be finished in British dimensions with Rigby engraved on the action and has a lot more value over time?
So the Rigby equivalent of this rifle would be the Highland Stalker in 275 Rigby which doesn’t have a quarter rib either so there’s that..

Rigby’s seem better finished at virtually the same price and of course it bears both names and is obviously more desirable. The checkering is better on the HS and I do favor the sights more. The Prince of Wales grip is nice as well. Also, I thought that Rigby received barreled actions in the white from Germany?? However it seems MOST (not all) of the wood on the base level HS isn’t anything to write home about either, although there are obviously exceptions. An unimpressive example of a HS:

The “matte blueing” you refer to on the Mauser is actually plasma nitride and while almost impervious to the elements is admittedly not very aesthetically pleasing. I do like the lines of the M98 better and I like the ebony forend tip.

Mauser is the lesser of the two of course. New at $14,457 usd. The Rigby HS at $14,665 usd. The Rigby will retain more value over time and is also the better buy new IMO.

That said, none of that has to do with the rifle in question really. The rifle I posted is $8,225. It’s listed as “like new”. You could have the stock refinished and still be money ahead. Not to mention the fact that that they may be open to a lower offer. The second most affordable one I’ve seen posted for sale anywhere. What would you value it at? If it’s less than around $7.5k I’d say that’s unrealistic and the evidence doesn’t support it. They may go cheaper in a private deal if the buyer is a fast talker and the seller is desperate.

There is an HS on GI that is priced at $8900. It’s pending. It’s a.30-06 though which I have no interest in whatsoever. I think you’ll have a hard time finding one in 275 Rigby that’s priced around that.

Attachments

• Rigby Highland stalker 275 for sale.pdf
    248 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
This auction also has some Holland and Holland 8-bores plus a double-bridge Mauser made by H&H in .465 H&H Magnum.
.465 H&H Magnum? Wow, I guess they do actually exist. After many queries here on AH by myself and @Pheroze nobody here seems to have ever seen a bolt action rifle chambered for one in person or ANY rimless cartridge or brass case for one? Amazing! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.