Going After Indian Bears With An American Client Braver Than A Lion

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Kawshik Rahman, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    WAB
    I believe Hoss Delgado is a better writer than l can ever aspire to be. He is also far more knowledgeable than l on modern fire arms made after 1972. Thank you for your appreciation.

2. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Cagkt3
    I am grateful for your support

3. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Mark Hunter
    Thank you for your wonderful discussions with me.

4. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Cls
    I am glad that you have enjoyed them.

5. Daggaboy375

Daggaboy375 AH Member

Please continue these wonderful glimpses into that time. Your historical perspective is truly unique.
    Thanks.

Kawshik Rahman likes this.

6. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Daggaboy375
    Thank you for your appreciation. I will write more reminiscences as long as gentlemen here keep enjoying them and most gentlemen on this forum are as decent human beings as they are sportsmen.

7. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    This is a fascinating story. A previous comment compared these bears to our NA black bear. They appear to be about the same size. However, I have a fair bit of experience bear hunting, and I don't think that the black bear has been born that would charge under these circumstances. In fact, having messed with grizzlies as well, I would say that it would be a pretty slim chance that you would be charged by a remaining grizzly after having just dumped one of a pair. It seems that the bear that Mr. Rahman hunted were born with an attitude!

The one caveat I would make to my comment would be to those of you hunting Prince William Sound, beware of the brownies on Hinchinbrook Island! These are a mean bunch of bruins! Local rumor is that it was the dumping ground for problem bears for years, resulting in a particularly mean strain. I don't know if this is true or not, but the attitude of these rascals is undeniable!

8. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    Thanks for posting these stories they do entertain and teach a bit of history

Kawshik Rahman likes this.

9. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    WAB
    I have recently taken great interest in the American Grizzly species and and l always listen to bear hunting stories from my niece’s boyfriend, Daniel who hunts Grizzly bears in North America with his father and brings me photographs.
    Regarding these Indian bears , they have been known to be very aggressive, yes.

WAB likes this.

10. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Spooksar
    Thank you so much

11. MAdcox

MAdcox GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC; DSCOK
    Hunted:
    Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
    @Kawshik Rahman , I think you need to be a regular columnist to the forum. I need a couple of these a week. I agree with the other members here that you need to compile these into a book. We happily have an abundance of African literature, but too little from the great hunting in India that we can now only read about from the few men like you who participated. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

rinehart0050 and Kawshik Rahman like this.

12. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    @Kawshik Rahman Your bear may also be the Asian Sloth Bear. It seems to be more widely distributed on the Indian subcontinent and is apparently quite aggressive. The markings of both are similar.

Trogon, Kawshik Rahman and WAB like this.

13. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Red leg
    Thank you so much for taking the time to help me identify the Indian Bears .I have just looked at a picture of the Asian Sloth Bear. You are correct that it is an Asian Sloth Bear. These creatures on the Kudai hills were extremely aggressive and of the nine animals of this species which l have killed , l have been charged by three. However , l should consider myself lucky that it was not an American Grizzly species. Those seem really large and intimidating

14. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    You are an excellent writer. Nothing against Hoss, there are a number of us keen to read his book. However, you clearly have enough adventure to fill a book of your own. Please consider it.

Kawshik Rahman and Wyatt Smith like this.

15. Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I agree. I’m for sure gonna buy Hoss’s book, but would love to have by you also.

Trogon and Kawshik Rahman like this.

16. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Wyatt Smith
    You are very kind in your words . I honestly did not expect that those reminiscences would be so enjoyed by modern hunters fifty years later.

17. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    MAdcox
    Thank you so much for your kind words .
    I feel that by sharing these accounts , l am also keeping the memories of my dead friends alive .

MAdcox likes this.

18. 1dirthawker

1dirthawker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    WAB,
    generally i would agree with you, that the survivor of a pair of bears would run off, but... not always. in our bear hunting camp, we hunt coastal brown bears, the largest one i have seen taken (not by my client or me) in our camp was one 10 1/2 ft bear. in the last 5 years, there have been 2 occasions where a surviving sow bluff charged the hunters, and hung around while the bear was skinned causing the guides quite a bit of distress.

also, it seems that as the evening comes on and it gets dark or nearly so, bears seem to become less fearful and more comfortable around people than they are in full daylight. i have seen this on multiple occasions.

Ridgewalker and rinehart0050 like this.

19. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Fair point Dirthawker. I once had a big brownie harass my son and I for the entire time it took me to skin and bone my son’s black bear. I gave my son, 13 or so at the time, my .375 and told him to grass that SOB if he so much as poked his head out of the alders. Normally a gunshot sends them packing in the other direction, but every once in a while...

On the other hand, I have never seen that type of behavior with a black bear. Dump one of a pair as Mr. Rahman’s client did and the other is making tracks.

1dirthawker likes this.

20. 1dirthawker

1dirthawker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    AGREED!