Ghost Ring Rear Sight?

Fiber optic front sight, whole different story....then I could see no problems for most hunting conditions. Most guns don't have them unless you customize~
 
docman
I was just looking at a CZ 550 American and thinking it would be perfect for a peep and fiber optic in 9.3 :-)
It is at the top of my list right now. I can't build one for the price of that one.

i like the cz550 kevlar carbine in 9.3x62. nice short barrel and nice light weight. i had a look at one at sci and if i could have taken it home i would have done.
 
spike- I've researched the Kevlar/carbine and boy I'm with you-I like it. I thought of trying to build one up in the garage ( I have a lathe, etc) but for the price, no way. Now, with a fiber front sight and my idea of a ghost ring ( I can't find one yet that is exactly what I want so I'll probably make that) I think I have found what I may take on my next trip. Start the piggy bank :-)
 
Still filling the piggy bank and looking at back ads for rifles sold and saw an FS CZ 550 set up with what looked to be a Williams WGRS rear site that was mounted onto a low clamp that attached right to the scope ring groves at the rear of the receiver. I'm thinking that this is just what I'd like to try. Probably would require a higher front sight and I'd look at fiber optic ones just to see what it might turn out to be. At first the "hump backed" FS stock gave me pause but it is working on me from a nostalgic European point of view. I do like the 20" barrel and I have no intentions right now of shots over 250 yards. Never have taken a shot longer than 220 in Africa. 9.3x62 is the round of choice still. Too bad I didn't think of this 2 years ago. Prices were WAY lower then!
 
cliffy i dont know if you have tried the droopy euro stock, but if not then do so before buying. it has a lot more drop than the american style cz stocks. i have one sitting at the gun shop that i ordered without thinking about this, and as i need a fairly straight stock with not too much drop to use iron sights i had them try and bend the stock up a bit, but i still had a hard time seeing the sights properly. it is sat there for sale. i tried to get the kevlar carbine mentioned earlier but it was only available in the uk on special order and delivery was too long, so i went for a sako black bear in 9.3x62, just got to get around to paying for it now........
 
spike I did some more looking and found that the stock has the same drop as a Weatherby Mark 5 or Vanguard stock. It seems that the fit is hit or miss with some but those like me who are not vertically challenged (6'2") may not have a problem. Found one write up where the author really liked the rifle and bought another one. I sure don't need another rifle but then why do I need a reason. I've got several scopes laying round lonely and depressed because they are not out working :-) I need to find something for them to do! I need to survey the market a while longer though. The 9.3X62 just keeps calling me for my next Namibian trip as my PH there does most of his shooting with one. I like my 338/06 but just like tools, man can never have too many rifles!
 
Cliffy maybe i have low cheekbones or something :D but its a problem i have had with a few rifles... not too vertically challenged either, though slightly shorter than you.... go for the 9.3x62 you wont regret it, its what i use mostly as well on the reserve in zambia.
 
Still filling the piggy bank and looking at back ads for rifles sold and saw an FS CZ 550 set up with what looked to be a Williams WGRS rear site that was mounted onto a low clamp that attached right to the scope ring groves at the rear of the receiver. I'm thinking that this is just what I'd like to try. Probably would require a higher front sight and I'd look at fiber optic ones just to see what it might turn out to be. At first the "hump backed" FS stock gave me pause but it is working on me from a nostalgic European point of view. I do like the 20" barrel and I have no intentions right now of shots over 250 yards. Never have taken a shot longer than 220 in Africa. 9.3x62 is the round of choice still. Too bad I didn't think of this 2 years ago. Prices were WAY lower then!
Take a look at NECG Ghost Ring Peep Sight.
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4731&ST=CZ 550 Ghost Ring Peep#.WFcYrlUrK00

Screenshot (67).png


With this front sight.
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4841&ST=CZ Patridge Sight#.WFcZW1UrK00

Screenshot (68).png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Like others have already said using any type of iron sights probably costs you a few minutes in the morning and in the evening. But like a lot of old timers (I'm 73) I still enjoy heading off into the woods on a nostalgic hunt with a an iron sighted rifle. For me it is a Winchester Mod. 71 made in 1936 chambered in 348 Win. I figure if it was good enough for guys old enough to be my grandpa, it is good enough for me.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,272
Messages
1,571,243
Members
169,306
Latest member
darrickhoppe
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top