Gear loadout

Should have mentioned earlier, get a course of CIPRO from your doctor. I went to Haiti without CIPRO once. That won’t happen again! In 30+ trips I’ve probably needed it 3 or 4 times. But when you need it, you really, really need it!

The vast majority of PH's outside a few of the lodges in SA use tripod sticks. I have seen and used more bipods than quads (admittedly not real hard - I have yet to be in a camp where any PH employed a quad of any brand).

I personally have no use for them (and yes I own a set) - They are indeed stable, but so is my benchrest and lead sled - I don't take them into the bush either. With a little practice, a tripod will insure superb accuracy as far as your PH will let you take a shot. I have easily killed game to 250 yards off of them in Africa, and right at 300 here in the States (nilgai).

Your PH will likely be very comfortable using a tripod (particularly his own). The last thing I would want to do is incumber him with something new and unnecessary - particularly on my first safari in Africa.
It’s unfair to compare quad sticks and tripods the way you have. Tripods have been around a long time, commercially produced quad sticks are relatively new and are gaining popularity. Every time I’ve brought mine with me since 2017 has been the first time that PH has seen quad sticks and all were impressed. With a little practice with quad sticks you can get nearly as quick as a tripod and place a much more accurate shot. They are not immovable like a lead sled or a bench. I can pick up and swing with them easily because I practice. However, in a situation less than 100 yards I would rather have a tripod. It’s slightly quicker and the PHs and trackers are more familiar with it.

It’s unfair to compare quad sticks and tripods the way you have. Tripods have been around a long time, commercially produced quad sticks are relatively new and are gaining popularity. Every time I’ve brought mine with me since 2017 has been the first time that PH has seen quad sticks and all were impressed. With a little practice with quad sticks you can get nearly as quick as a tripod and place a much more accurate shot. They are not immovable like a lead sled or a bench. I can pick up and swing with them easily because I practice. However, in a situation less than 100 yards I would rather have a tripod. It’s slightly quicker and the PHs and trackers are more familiar with it.
I get it. I bought a set. I just don't get the need inside 250 yards. That said, were I a PH taking out a first timer on a PG hunt, I likely would be wishing I had a set. But for an experienced hunter, a tripod, or even a bipod, is extremely effective and very quick. They just require a modicum of dedicated practice (on something other than a game animal).

It is relatively cheap to buy the same set of shooting sticks the PH uses and then practice with them.
This June/July I only put on pants once (for dinner!) Shorts are much more comfortable and quieter. Leather Courtney gators are a big help.
+1 for a leatherman.
Bring an extra headlamp.

Will ot be warm enough for shorts in the june July time frame? I like cool weather and it doesn't bother me to wear them when it is fairly cool. I may have to look harder at the shorts than I thought

Will ot be warm enough for shorts in the june July time frame? I like cool weather and it doesn't bother me to wear them when it is fairly cool. I may have to look harder at the shorts than I thought
Depending on hunting location. We started out days on the Waterburg plateau at around 35 F, but it warms quickly (and a lot!). When stuck with the dilema of too cold for shorts or too warm for pants, I opt for shorts, but then add layers up top. (But, I am a child of the northern US climate.)

I agree completely on that. I would rather be a little cool for a couple hours in the morning and then be more comfortable later when it warms up.

I don't hunt in shorts, but being too hot later in the day is way more uncomfortable than a cold start to the morning. First stalk and I am warm, doesn't matter the temp.

The truth is your PH and camp staff will have virtually everything you need, right down to meds too, but it is huge fun preparing and buying stuff, so go right ahead. The only thing to swear by after that is to leave it ALL in camp whan you go out each day - it is only going to be for hours after all. Rifle, ammo, cell phone for pics and all in pouch pockets.

Hi
All of the above is fine, if you have a large budget. However if your budget is limited I suggest the following
A rifle you shot well with
Binos
Quality bullets (Barns TSX - Nosler partition)
Set of quad sticks
Well worn in boots
Ankle gaiters
3 shirts suitable colour
3 long trousers suitable colour
Smart wool socks
Gloves (Taken never used)
Shoes for around the camp
Medical kit
Warm jacket

May be the most important communication tool for PHs in Arica, Whatsapp. See if your PH uses it. If so, he's your best resource for clothing to wear, sticks he uses, meds in camp and weather to expect.

Makes sense. Those danners are not insulated and were gonna be going in June/July so it'll be cool over there any way. The shooting sticks are for practicing here at home but I may take them with me.
I completely understand the packing deal, believe me. I have over packed for some hunts, my first elk hunt years ago I found something in my pack everyday when we got back to camp that I didn't need for the next day
One guy told me not to wear 5.11 pants that they are too loud? It would have to be a pretty quiet place to be able to hear those pants but if anyone has any reccomendations on pants let me know. Me and the wife are going to the DSC so I plan to pick up a little gear there if I identify anything that I'm gonna need.
5.11 pants are not more noisy than my bush camos. Stryker pants are very thorn resistant. As for boots please ensure they are comfy and worn in. Consider the modern hiker shoe/boots like the ones made by merrel as a back up. Most Phs will have stocks and binos. Bring your rifle, ammo and a good attitude!

2F6CB607-F323-4FE0-A0D7-50B117DFE118.jpeg

Courtney boots , 5.11 pants (the ones that stretch) and a genuine .404 WJ Jeffery on a recent Buffalo hunt.
Sunglasses and hat advisable.

If Mrs Backyardsniper is going, I suggest an extra set of binoculars for her, and a good camera. I've read of a lot of hunters using their phones, but I believe a good camera will give you better pictures. A small pack to take extra ammo, cameras, etc.

I always take a compact bird book. Not a necessity but you will be surprised how much it gets used. I love to observe all of nature’s wonders

It would be helpful to know where in Africa you are headed.
The time of year (e.g., rainy season, summer or winter, etc.) could well affect your choice of gear also.

Last edited:
I have not read rain gear, just in case, specially if it’s cold.

If I had a hunt in the driest climate I would still pack at least a rain jacket. It can also double as a windbreaker if needed.

I have a nice rain suit that I got from Cabela's around 14 years ago and lived in it up in British Colombia on a bear hunt. The jacket has a pocket that it will store in and doesn't take up that much room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg