G'day All

chixy

Reaction score
Member of
Aust Deer Assoc, Sporting Shooters Assoc
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe
Hi All,
Have just joined AH, looks like a great community.

I have been hunting in Australia from the top end to the Victorian Alps now for many years, primarily for feral animals ranging from pigs to the elusive Sambar Deer.

Happy to say I am now in the process of planning my first African hunt. I intend travelling with a mate of mine (who has previously hunted SA) to Zimbabwe next year around June and any info or advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.
I am interested in plains game for this hunt, including Eland, Kudu, Zebra, Impala, Wildebeest etc.

Thanks See You In The Bush

Welcome to AH, great to see another Aussie joining up here.

Lots of excellent advise from experienced members who have "been there done that" that will help you weave your way around some of the potential pitfalls.

I hunted Zim back in 2000 and had a wonderful experience, though it was much different times than the present Zim.
The "war vets" were only just starting to make their presence felt.
I'm sure there are members here that can inform you better of the current situation.
Back when I was there road travel was very expensive (in bribes) as you could expect road blocks (military) every few kilometers or so, a situation that I believe has changed.

Apart from the political situation, Zim is a wonderful and exciting destination in Africa to hunt, my main focus would be to check that the outfitter/P.H you intend to book with is registered as a P.H in Zim.

Expect to maybe have to pay slightly more in day rate than the equivilent plains game offering in R.S.A, but in my mind well worth the expense.
Also, if your going all that way consider adding a Buff to your overall budget.

If you would like more detailed info feel free to p.m me at ssahuntinfo@optusnet.com.au

Best regards,
Paul.

Chixy,

Welcome to the world of AH.com , you would enjoy being here. May you have a great & remarkable debut safari . You may contact PH Shlomo Lepar of Maduna Safaris , his email id is slepar@arenel.co.zw, he would certainly cater to your hunt requirement in Zimbabwe.

Happy Hunting !!!!

Monish

Hey Chixy.

I have had a few safaris both in Zimbabwe and South Africa. For the plains game species you are after, I would personally hunt in South Africa or perhaps Namibia. You'll get some good deals in South Africa and you'll save yourself some additional costs for flights. Your daily rate is likely to be cheaper and getting your trophies out of South Africa will be much easier. I absolutely LOVED hunting in Zim, but as an intro, RSA was perfect.

In Zim, I was specifically after a challenging and wild hunt for buff and sable at a reasonable price - I got both. So if you're after dangerous game, you're right on.

Look forward to sharing the excitement of planning your safari. Do you know what area you will be hunting? Have you booked an outfitter/PH? What rifle are you taking?

Welcome to AH chixy! You definitely found the place to prepare for your hunt in Zimbabwe.

Here is a link to a post that you should read HUNTING ZIMBABWE - IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL HUNTING CLIENTS.

For tons of information specifically about hunting Zimbabwe click here.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions...

Hello Chixy,

Welcome to the forum. Here you will find all the info you need on planning your hunt to Africa.

Welcome to the AH. You will enjoy Zimbabwe and its variety of plains game.

Thanks for the replies. No doubt will have some queries as the planning progresses.

Kia ora neighour !! Good to have you on AH. Good pack of jokers on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg