G5 T3 Expandable for Bow Hunting Plains Game

@50by50,

This discussion, as usual for expandables versus fixed blades, will lead to a lot of arguing on any forum. There are a couple of key points to consider when deciding on either. For me, I refused to use expandables up until this hunting season because I tried the first generation 15 years ago with the old O-rings that deployed from the front. Had terrible results with those, and I was soured by the experience. I am going to try expandables again this year, NAP Killzone Maxx, and I'll see if I feel better about them after my elk hunt.

With newer technology, faster and more accurate bows and better arrows, the choice of expandables versus fixed becomes even more difficult.

For fixed blades, the first thing to consider is whether or not a bow is perfectly tuned. And I mean shooting bare shafts through paper and getting bullet holes. The second is whether the arrow is tuned properly. Does the arrow spin straight with a bare shaft? Is the FOC correct? Is the spine? Does the arrow spin straight with fletchings, knock and point? All of these are critical to getting the best flight with a fixed blade broadhead. Also, some fixed blades shoot better than others.
From my limited experience, shooting both two, three and four blade fixed blades, I prefer three blade fixed and have had good success with them, but I typically do not shoot past 40 yards. There is too much that can go wrong with a slight wind that can throw a fixed blade at longer distances.

For expandables, the claim is that they fly like a field point. Even with the first generation of front deploy o-ring expandables that I tried, they all flew just like my field points. Even if your bow or arrows are slightly out of tune, the expandables should hit where your field points do. For most people, this is a comfort since they do not typically practice that much, and rarely does anyone tune every piece of their equipment.

My philosophy is use what works best for you and what cleanly and quickly kills the animal. Don't take shots you cannot make on a less than perfect day. Anyone can shoot fairly well with no wind, no distractions and mild temperatures. Make just one of these factors worse, and many people fall apart.

With that long-winded narrative over, I have many friends who've used the G5 T3 on pronghorn in the US with great success out to 100 yards. Others have told me the NAP Killzone is a fantastic expandable and works well on larger game like elk, which is why I've chosen to try it again this year. My setup is a 2015 PSE Dream Season Decree 70lb draw, 492gr Gold Tips and 290fps. It is a screamer compared to my old bow of 12 years, but is extremely accurate.
Good luck finding the right broadhead!

Lrntolive you summed it up nicely and I agree with with you on most points but my finding is a slight wind will move expandables off target at farther ranges also because it still pushes on the shaft and fletching.

Lrntolive you summed it up nicely and I agree with with you on most points but my finding is a slight wind will move expandables off target at farther ranges also because it still pushes on the shaft and fletching.
Jeff, you are correct. I've notice some fixed blades do not move as much as others, but I've yet to try an expandable that moves more or as much as a fixed blade due to wind. Please understand that this is only at targets and not game. In the woods, under stress, fatigue and a stressed shooting form/position, the fixed blades have a greater chance of being further off than todays expandables for most archers.

Mind you, I still have fixed blades in my archery arsenal that are my go to when I have any doubts, but I'm going to try an expandable this year while hunting to see if it will alter my previous opinion.

You'll have to let us know Lrntolive. Good luck on that elk hunt!

Hey guys,

What do you think about the T3 expandable broadhead in 100 grains for africa?
- is it sharp enough?
-other than the blades wanting to pop out, has anyone experienced any problems using them?
- any good experiences?
- prefer a different expandable?

I'm shooting the hoyt carbon element
My bow shoots 295 ft per second
My arrows weigh just under 400 grains

Background of why I personally prefer expandables- even in Africa.
At home I shoot expandables. My first trip to Africa they wanted fixed blades and I lost two animals. I just wasn't confident with their flight and was constantly feeling stressed and pressure.

My second time in Africa I was shooting the 3 blade rage expandable (that they don't make anymore- now it's the 2 blade) and I was shooting lights out. My confidence was high and my kill rate was close to 100% on the 11 animals I took. I did lose one baboon.

Anyway- any thoughts would be appreciated.
@50by50, so I picked up those NAP Killzone Maxx I plan to try this year and they havea ridiculous cutting diameter. I was thinking 2-3/8" isn't that big until I set it next to my fixed blades. Take a look.

I just hope these deploy like they say they will on the packaging.

20160807_101152.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to list the other broadheads in the picture. From top left: G5 Montec, DRT double bevel 125gr, and on the bottom, G5 Striker Magnum. All are 125 gr broadheads except the NAPs. I'll have to get a 25 gr collar for those.

That picture really illustrates the cutting potential difference! Does it worry you that a 2-blade will let the wound channel close? That was one of the main reasons I've been thinking of the T3.

That picture really illustrates the cutting potential difference! Does it worry you that a 2-blade will let the wound channel close? That was one of the main reasons I've been thinking of the T3.
To be honest, I haven't put any thought into that considering the reviews and the size of the hole it should make. I doubt it would close being that large. If it was only 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" then yes, it might close up. At over two inches with a cutting tip, I doubt any animal's hide will close that hole. I'll find out soon enough and report back.

It'll take a lot of energy to push that bit head clear through the chest if you want a exit wound .

It'll take a lot of energy to push that bit head clear through the chest if you want a exit wound .
Jeff, Yes, I expect it would. I'll let you all know how I do. My PSE is pushing this 492 grain arrow about 290fps. I think that is quite a bit of energy.

Be careful with Mechanical blades the bigger the animal you are shooting the less likely you are to be smiling later. Bar Kudu the other animals in its size class and bigger - I have had a few follow ups on well placed shots and it all came down to performance issues. I personally feel at the distances you should be targeting in Africa the extra accuracy you get from the Mechanical is negligible. However my expertise is getting the arrow chucker close to the buffalo/animal, there are a lot more experienced bow hunters out there that have all the figures -but from what I have seen save a PH's boots and leave the Mechanicals at home.
WEll done on your trophies, looks like you had a cracker of a hunt!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hey guys- back from the hunt yesterday and heading to Disneyland with the kids in an hour. Don't know why I scheduled this all so close together but it's done and done.

So the report will be in a couple weeks but I wanted to jump on here and tell you guys the T3 did AMAZING!!

I took a 59 1/4" kudu with it! -as well as an eland, bushbuck, Nyala, Impala, and a couple warthogs. No problems at all and this is now my go-to broad head for all African plains game.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 190
congratulations on the successful trip, great animals.

Awesome work lad. Amazing critters there. Given my experience with the T3 heads I knew you would have nothing but clean shots. Well done

50x50 looks like you got some fine trophies! That kudu looks great!

View attachment 159436 View attachment 159435 View attachment 159433 Hey guys- back from the hunt yesterday and heading to Disneyland with the kids in an hour. Don't know why I scheduled this all so close together but it's done and done.

So the report will be in a couple weeks but I wanted to jump on here and tell you guys the T3 did AMAZING!!

I took a 59 1/4" kudu with it! -as well as an eland, bushbuck, Nyala, Impala, and a couple warthogs. No problems at all and this is now my go-to broad head for all African plains game.

Wow that is a great Kudu and some very fine warthogs.....and with a bow, great job!

In my first trip to Africa I used VPA 3 bladed (fixed blade). The next one I will try a mechanical (Grim Reaper I think)

Thanks you guys! I appreciate the kind words. It's so much more fun to have people to celebrate with so I value your comments. I'm looking forward to giving a full report when I get home.

maybe you can use a heavier arrow (near 500 grains) and an expandable broadhead to get the best of both worlds (penetration and good flight) ?;)
I'm buying a new arrow setup for my next trip to africa, i'm going to try a 480 grains arrow at 300 fps (I used a 680 at 245 the last trip) with a mechanical head (GR)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!