French Foreign Legion

My son wanted to join the British army but that door seems closed to him. He is now looking at the Legion as an option. Does anyone have any info, experience or opinions?

Applicants are accepted from any country in the world. The days of murderers etc running to the Legion to escape justice are long gone but you do get a new identity when you join so it seems some undesirables do make it into the force.

It would seem that speaking French is not a requirement. I would think that it would be a hinderance for a non French speaker. How do they give instructions / commands to recruits that may speak 10 different languages??

Is the Legion a viable option?
A respected and capable fighting force?

Any feedback would be welcomed.

I was in Dubai airport two years ago waiting to fly through JoBurg. Smoking a cigar in those little phone booths that purport to keep the cancer fumes inside. In pops a very attractive late 50’s South African woman crying and smiling that she just heard from her son for the first time in six months.

Over the course of 30 minutes I get the full story from her. He joined the legion. No French prerequisite. No murderers with assumed names. It was his ticket out of RSA. Learned valuable skills. After X many years in place you get a French green card and then citizenship. (EU citizen for work purposes)

The only downsides is that they make them take a new name, speak only French until they learn it, and cut off all ties to family for a period of weeks until postcards are permitted, then a period of months until phone/email contact may return.

You meet the neatest people on your way to and from safaris.

several good videos at youtube on the legion.

PM @One Day... He can give you very informed information.

I too am curious what the requirements are for foreigners joining one of the U.S. military branches. I would think it would be doable.
I remember when I was in the army we had a Cuban kid from Miami, whose father had been a university professor but resided in a Cuban prison, was in the Coast Guard Reserve but got drafted into the army. Another kid was a South African, he joined, both were in my platoon. But that was fifty years ago.

What about the Spanish Foreign Legion?

Not anymore, it´s been many years since the Spanish Legion is a regular Army unit, where the enlisment conditions are the same as in the rest of our armed Forces.

Not anymore, it´s been many years since the Spanish Legion is a regular Army unit, where the enlisment conditions are the same as in the rest of our armed Forces.
If memory serves, when I was in the US Navy back in the 1960s we had people from different nations joining, mostly Filipinos. If they did a 6 year enlistment they were granted US citizenship. I retired in 2000 and at that time we had foreigners joining. I don't know what the enlistments requirement are now or if the US military is accepting foreigners.

I saw a number of foreign nationals in the US Air Force but don’t know what it took to qualify.

He could start at 7 Medical Battalion Group, do his Bats course do Special Forces Minor Tactics Ciurse and then move.....

c
I saw a number of foreign nationals in the US Air Force but don’t know what it took to qualify.
Just spoke to a recruiter and I sent this to the OP.

All they need to join the US military is a I-555-1 visa.

They become naturalized citizens in boot camp now.

I retired 8 years ago, in those days you had to serve 4 years or serve in combat.

Thanks for all the replies!

When we checked (about 2 years ago) one could not join the US army unless you had some form of residency status. I will check again.

As for joining the SA Defence Force... not a chance will I allow my son to fight along side a bunch of gooks that I was probably aiming at 20 years ago. The discipline and culture of the current bunch is laughable. It's not like back in our day unfortunately.

Rookhawk, according to the website etc it would seem that what the woman relayed to you is very close to what they say, with the exception of the communication to family etc. The website says that you can phone, email etc... but then again I don't think they would tell you anything different.

Hello Zambezi;

Sorry for a delayed answer, and thank you for your PM as Red Leg, Wyatt Smith, VertigoBE suggested. I am posting my answer to it here, because it may be of interest to others :)

The days of the French Foreign Legion being a refuge for criminals are long gone. They were already long gone in the 1980's. As a matter of fact, criminals generally make poor soldiers because they are mostly not courageous, often recalcitrant to unit cohesion, and generally undisciplined...

The PERMANENT change of name when joining the French Foreign Legion is optional if I remember well (it has been a while since the 1980's...) and is more a tradition than anything else, EXCEPT in cases of political refugees or folks who have legitimate - but not criminal - reasons to be discreet. Technically, if I remember, the rule of anonymity applied at enlistment (hence a new identity being issued), but Legionnaires could return to their true identity after one year of service (it may be 6 months now I think) which few did. This is a very simple question to ask. I would not be surprised if the Legion official website had an answer to such questions. One course of action could also be to contact the military attaché at the French embassy. If (s)he does not know, (s)he will get the answer for you.

1643495664106.png

Yes, Legionnaires can now receive the French citizenship "par le sang verse" - the blood spilled in combat operations - as opposed to "le sang reçu" - the blood received from parents being French and their kids being automatically French. This was a concept that started getting traction in the 1980's and 1990's and which became law in either 1999 or 2000 if memory serves. As to receiving a "carte de séjour" (Green Card) upon serving, I do not know. I do not think that this was the case in the 1980's. But then again, France has always had very generous immigration policies, so I do not recall any exiting Legionnaire having an issue to receive one then. Now may be different with the tidal wave of emigration North from the exploding demography of Africa. This is another easy question to get an answer to from the military attaché at the French embassy.

As to your son becoming a field medic, the Legion, like any other force, needs and has field medics, of course, therefore the possibility exists. However, I do not believe that one can join the Legion contingent upon being made a medic, as, I believe, it is possible in the US military forces where recruits enlist directly into a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS). At least, it was not the case if memory serves in the 1980's. Your son certainly CAN become a medic, but he would have to qualify, AND the Legion would have to need him to become one. No guaranty (at least there was none in the 80's if memory serves...).

The Legion continues to be one of the, if not THE, best fighting force in the world because - this is my own analysis based on experience and certainly NOT an official representation - the average age of the troop is significantly older than that of most other forces. Allow me to expand a bit: it is no mystery that both physical and psychological strengths increase with maturity. A 28-year-old football player is stronger and more resilient physically than an 18-year-old football player. As to psychological strength, an 18-year-old soldier is barely out of adolescence, while a 28-year-old soldier is a man. This translates in the Legion in a force among which there are very, very few issues of "combat morale" or "combat fatigue" etc. A clear historic example was the absence of such issues in the Legion in Indochina, despite conditions being far, far worse compared to issues the US military experienced in Vietnam. Ah! the legendary overwhelming material superiority of American fighting forces... hence the difference of outcome between Dien Bien Phu and Khe Sanh........ It certainly does not reflect on the human quality of many of the young GI in Vietnam, but 10 additional years of maturity, and often in those days 5 additional years of tough combat experience (many Legionnaires in Indochina had served in the Waffen SS (not to be confused with SS-Totenkopfverbände (SS-TV), the SS organization responsible for administering the Nazi concentration camps) on the Eastern Front, translated into the Legion being essentially impervious to issues of drugs, morale breakdown, self wounding, fragging of officers, etc. etc. etc. This characteristic of the Legion continues to this day I believe, or at least it continued into the 1980's. By the way, I am not stating that there is an average 10 year difference, I do not know the exact number, but from memory it was in this range and in any case very significant.

Not everyone qualifies to be a legionnaire (this was discussed in other posts) and the crucible is indeed the Marche du Kepi Blanc (White Kepi March). While it is physically trying, it is not much different I would expect from the training American Green Beret or British Commandos, or for that matter French Commando go through. Legends about frequent deaths or cascades of accidents happening during Legion training are just that: legends. There is no more, and no less, than in any other "committed" force.

As to the fabled "marche ou creve" moto (walk or die), it never referred to training or even discipline. It is historically based on the fact that early Legion units during the conquest of North Africa French colonies (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, etc.) suffered assassination of laggards by rebels during the strenuous and days-long marches in hostile country between frontier posts. Then, and to this day, becoming isolated in the "sand box" was/is never a great recipe for long and prosperous life...

What is different though is the level of specialization training the Legion offers. These were memorable in the 1980's and continue to be. The green hell of the jungle warfare training at The Equatorial Forest Training Center in Guyana continues to be THE world reference, and receives trainees from the entire world, including US special forces. The Centre d' Aguerrissement et d ‘Instruction au Désert (Desert Hardening – you have got to love the understatement of the word – and Instruction Center) in Djibouti was the first stop for all US special forces on their way to Afghanistan. And of course, the underwater and HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) parachute jump trainings are among the very best, and often welcome trainees (at least in the 1980's) from US Navy Seals and British SAS.

There is no question that someone emerging from 5 year at the Legion is one of the best trained, and often best small-unit-combat tested, soldier in the world, with an unsurpassed and rarely equaled, but amongst the very best, code of honor.

The one thing is that if the Legion resembles today what it was in the 1980's, I expect that they do not suffer fools and are unlikely to be overly impressed by the type of, shall I say, sloppily - or not at all - raised, whining, self-righteous, chose-to-be-offended kids and their shenanigans, as my son who is a Combat Instructor in the US Marines tells me he sadly starts to see on a daily basis. Of course there is no inference on Zambezi's kid, but there are enough top quality volunteers for the lesser one to be weeded out. No, they are not beaten to death, killed on "training accidents" and other such lah lah land BS, they are simply kicked out...

Last edited:
One Day,

Interesting reading.

I spent 20 years in the US Navy (in Aviation units, not on ships) and have worked for the US Defense since retirement 8 years ago.

In that 28 year period I only met legionaires in Afghanistan.

They were all Romanian, and they were trying to buy boonie hats and the PX in Baghram wouldn't sell them to them. So I went inside and bought 10 and handed them to them when I walked out.

There is joining the military and there is joining and elite unit.

Any unit in that commando unit will be totally different than any regular unit.

If you want to see E6's with 42 inch waist lines you will see it in all branches of all militaries of the world. But it is highly unlikely to see a 42 inch waist line on a commando.

We have a commando unit on the base I work on, and we have an artillery unit. There are fat and lazy artillery kids.

When I was in aviation we had F-18 fighter pilots, these people had to be fit as the rigors of flight demanded it. In P-3's not so much.

I think we tend to only remember the good parts of our lives. I remember myself in Afghanistan as a fit warrior. I usually wax over the bullshit.

One thing is true more than anything else. Your military career will end very quickly. 20 years will pass in minutes, 30 years if you get to be a E9 or Warrant Officer and you'll be done. It isn't important that you gain experience in a profession or trade that will equip you financially for the rest of your life. It is important to get something out of the military, that equips you to get a trade or profession that will help financiall for the rest of your life. For me it was work in safety and hazardous materials. I went on and got a wildlife management degree, but I decided I didn't want that kind of a pay cut when I retired. So I work in safety.

The American GI bill will pay for 36 months of state college, and a living stipend while you are going after you serve your 4 years.

You can also go to college for free every year you serve (possibley with the exception of the last 3 past 17 years). I knew people that had finished a PHD while they were on active duty and not paid a dime for it.

There are officer programs in the United States Military that do not exist anywhere else. Someone who is motivated could get into a military academy or a ROTC program within 2 years or joining.

Base pay for new recruits is $1650 plus housing and 3 meals a day. An E5 who makes it within 4 years will make $3500 a month plus housing allowance (dependent on location but normally $1500-4500).

the legendary overwhelming material superiority of American fighting forces... hence the difference of outcome between Dien Bien Phu and Khe Sanh........ ..
The tactics of the VietMinh aka NorthVietNam army were the same for both Dien Bien Phu and Khe Sanh. The tactic was to surround the base, set-up a siege and over-run the base when the defenders were weakened. The solution to both were the same, except that President Eisenhower chose not to involve the US further by bombing the fixed positions of the Communist troops/artillery. Khe Sanh was handled differently- the siege was offset by air resupply accomplished by C-130s making touch and go landings where supplies were pushed out of the plane during to touch phase. As the plane was doing this a series of F4 Phantoms would make napalm runs parallel to the airstrip where the NVA were attempting to fire on the supply planes.

the second and final phase resulted from the troops hearing the sound of digging. NVA were tunneling under the wire in the hopes of gaining entry and over-running the base. It was estimated that several regiments, possibly a division of NVA were poised in the underground positions. The situation was resolved when several flights of B-52s dropped delay fuse 500 lb bombs on the circumference of the wire, 50 feet from the wire to a couple hundred yards out from the wire. It collapsed all of the tunnels, killed those waiting to attack and ended the threat. What was left of the NVA retreated to the north. this was the last aspect of the attempt to rally the peasants of South VietNam as part of what became known as the TET offensive. the results of which virtually ended the war for two years in which the NVA rebuilt and retooled.

As to the claim about discipline problems in the US military- they are much more common in Hollywood typewriters than in real life. Actual incidents were VERY few and far between.

As One Day correctly says....ex-Waffen SS joined the Legion and fought at Dien Bien Phu.. I knew one of them briefly in the 70´s, a local norwegian (sadly we had many joining the Waffen SS in WW2..) He told me he was force-marched about 600km to a prison camp...his boots dissolved in the jungle and he suffered from damage to his feet as long as he lived..

I am not a military person.
But as a ship captain, I had contacs and visits, naval support, or sometimes inspections of various navy, coastguard or police. Sometime at sea, or at anchor, or in harbor. or at deep sea, in pirate infested waters
Looking back at those experiences, the french uniformed personnel, was in average most mature and serious by age of attending armed officials, I could see.
The other personnel, was always within spread of age: lets say from 18 to 40 or more. All kinds of mentalities, and personalities but french of them all, most serious: not a smile, pure business.

I consider myself anglophile.
It so easy for me to make the contacts, say with US coastgurad officals, or navy. i make few jokes, offer soft drink or coffee, and conversation start to flow. (if in private life, they are hunters or their dads are, the conversation never stops)

We had boarding drills, by.... swat? coastguard? emergency boarding the ship underway (with previous approval by me) from chopper, full gear on. they come by chopper, land by rope, and get winched back by chopper.
in a matter of minutes, full gear on.
i would give them to winch up, a case of beer, if opportunity arises. always welcomed.
I dont think it will work with french

Brits, are proffesional, polite, soft spoken, and with english humor. Americans are friendly, joking if opportunity arises, friendly and open.

But french? mature age uniformed french armed personnel? Just over 30?
They are pure business.
Another world.
My impressions.

Never heard of it....

Thanks for suggestion, will check it out.(y)
They stopped recruting foreigners in the mid 80s, but it is possible for Spanish influenced regions, Americas and so to apply to be either a Caballero or Dama de Legionario, they accept ladies also.

Same way the Arab Legion do also.

Looking back at those experiences, the french uniformed personnel, was in average most mature and serious by age of attending armed officials, I could see.

Ask anyone sailing in the shuttletrade of the Persian Gulf during the tanker wars what navy the trusted. They will all say the french.

Totally OT.

Zambezi, if possible joining the US Military would give him the most successful opportunities in life and an American passport.

Having spent a lot of time living on the French border as recently as March 2019, I can only say that France like most of Europe has taken the lions share of war torn Islamic immigrants. While the vast majority are there to have a better life than they had in Syria, a lot of the younger men make living in Europe a pain in the ass.

I know Germany took over a million of them while we were there. It was a dramatic change. There were already over a million Turks from the 1970's and 1980's and they are not the problem.

We had serious problems in France almost every time we went, even if we just went for groceries. We ended up driving another 45 minutes north to get to Luxembourg to do our shopping for French groceries at the same stores they had in France.

This is just our experience living on the French border is and is not indicitive of the entirty of France. Your son will deal with the same assholes in the French military.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg