FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE RAISED A SON...!

Thanks for the story @DOC-404, I haven’t laughed that hard since I read the book Spud!

The comments were just as good, I recall those days of boyhood and am convinced I have a guardian angel, or two.

Neighbor kid made a pipe bomb with copper pipe and black powder. He was crimping the end and she touched off. He lost an eye and a nut. Called him Lucky from then on.

We drilled holes in the caps, put in the guts of the old magnesium flash cubes, and lit them with wires off a car battery. Awesome!

Cowboy and Indian fights with capguns until we got BB guns. Some of the neighborhood kids had them, too. Some one of us got the brilliant idea of using them for our fights. All kinds of fun until we got hit in the head or body when we weren't wearing shirts. That stung a little. That episode lasted until my brother got hit in the face too close to an eye. Mom put the big NO on BB gun fights.

Cowboy and Indian fights with capguns until we got BB guns. Some of the neighborhood kids had them, too. Some one of us got the brilliant idea of using them for our fights. All kinds of fun until we got hit in the head or body when we weren't wearing shirts. That stung a little. That episode lasted until my brother got hit in the face too close to an eye. Mom put the big NO on BB gun fights.

LOL, I had totally forgotten about that. We used those crossman BB guns, pumped twice for fights. I got in the door of our hay mow one day and sniped my cousin three times before he figured out where I was. Man those things hurt!

This thread is hilarious!
The first time I got lighted nocks we promptly went into the field behind the house at night and loosed three arrows at once. It was awesome, until the nocks winked out as the arrows flipped and started to come down. Running ensued followed shortly by laughter and a bit of elation for the surprisingly close landing locations. Oh, and this was only a few years ago. Tomfoolery still happens with adults.

LOL, I had totally forgotten about that. We used those crossman BB guns, pumped twice for fights. I got in the door of our hay mow one day and sniped my cousin three times before he figured out where I was. Man those things hurt!
BB gun fights are all fun in games until your buddy is digging a BB out of his butt cheek. We had a stand of cane/bamboo in our backyard growing up and threw them at each other like spears. Also fun and games until someone gets a chunk of bamboo stuck in their wrist

A cousin I grew up with wasn’t the brightest. I’m convinced he would be dead if I wasn’t around to save him a few times. We had BB guns and then air rifles and bows. We killed countless gophers, sparrows, rabbits, etc...

One day when I was visiting the farm where he lived, he showed me a new trick he discovered. He found some .22 cartridges that belonged to his dad. He put them down on the concrete spaced apart and pointing away from us. He grabbed a hammer and started hitting them one at a time! I ran for the hills! God only knows where those .22 bullets went! It’s a miracle he wasn’t killed or wounded.

Another time at my grandparents’ lake house, we were trying to catch minnows with butterfly nets in the shallows to use for fishing bait. He got frustrated at our lack of success and walked over to the boat dock. Next thing I know, he jumps off the dock into 8 inches of water to do a belly flop in an attempt to stun the minnows, not realizing that he would only stun himself! He hit the bottom so hard that it knocked the wind out of him and stunned him as well. He laid there sputtering around in the water face down until I pulled him out by his hair.

I can’t believe it that he is still alive.

Did you ever pry open 20 gauge shotshells to remove the BBs and then have wars with shotguns?? Those wads can really hurt!

With four daughters I have nothing to say - for a change! But my brother and I dug a 'mine shaft' into the tailings heap and then lit petrol bombs down it and rushed out before it exploded in a fireball behind you. This was during the bush war and the village commander sent up a stick to sort out the attack. We had to own up.

At a summer camp cookout a kid threw a half empty bottle of spray on sunscreen into the fire. As it heated up I got a bad feeling and suggested we back up...

The explosion was at least as loud as a 12 gauge going off. The resulting fireball made a sort of mushroom for a brief moment. My guess is it was a good 15 feet tall. Definitely more impressive than videos i have seen of hand grenades going off. Flaming chunks of firewood rained down in a 20 foot radius around the fire. Multiple sleeping bags and our tarp had large melt holes. When the dust cleared we examined the fire pit. There was a ring of hot coals all around the pit for maybe a 5 foot radius. In the fire pit itself there was a new crater and a concrete cinder block (used to prop up cooking pots) had been split in two.

We thought for sure we'd be in trouble but somehow no one outside our cabin group heard the explosion.

For some reason none of the parents made a fuss over all the melted sleeping bags. The counselor in charge shall remain anonymous... but a hint would be that he now lives in Alaska and has a nice grizzly in his profile picture.

A real good, or bad, case of road rash. I used to ride my bike to town. We lived on a dirt road and the last half mile down to the blacktop was a pretty good grade. This one day I was cruising down with a fair head of steam and got this wild hair about switching hands on the handlebars. Fine. I crossed my hands but forgot one crucial detail-- Steer in the opposite direction. I didn't and the bike went one way and I went another, right over the handlebars. Tuck and roll but I still slid and scraped some hide off my shoulders and arms. Two rules. Don't cross your arms on a bike and wear a shirt.

Brilliant reading these again and the new ones...trying not to shake too much laughing silently as morning, and louise still asleep....and she doesn't take kindly to being woken when not ready....still living dangerously :E Rofl:

As a kid we'd buy a bunch of Blackcat firecrackers. We'd light them in out hands and let the fuse burn down and then throw it at someone else. The idea being to have it go off as close to someones head as possible! Occasionally we'd wait too long and it would go off in our hands. Your hand would be numb for a while......
Bruce

I made firecracker guns. Basically a copper tube sized to fit a marble with paper towel for a patch. You hammer one end down leaving room in the middle for the wick to pop through. The whole rig is mounted on a stock with banding. Drop in the firecracker, making sure the wick comes through, tamp down a marble tight on top, and light the wick. Accurate enough to hit your buddies if you can keep it pointed at them while the wick burns down! They tend to run so it’s challenging.

My wife forbade me teaching this to my sons!

I made firecracker guns. Basically a copper tube sized to fit a marble with paper towel for a patch. You hammer one end down leaving room in the middle for the wick to pop through. The whole rig is mounted on a stock with banding. Drop in the firecracker, making sure the wick comes through, tamp down a marble tight on top, and light the wick. Accurate enough to hit your buddies if you can keep it pointed at them while the wick burns down! They tend to run so it’s challenging.

My wife forbade me teaching this to my sons!
I was never that clever. I just had a 6” pipe with a cap screwed on one end. A 20 gauge shotgun hull would fit snug in the other end. Light the firecracker, drop it in, then insert the shell. it would shoot it quite a ways.
I also used to take a 12 gauge hull and a 20 gauge hull. Set the 20 on a flat surface, insert a lit firecracker, the slip the 12 gauge hull over the top of the 20. It would shoot that baby way up in the air.

We always had a bunch of barn cats around the farm. One July 4th one of my brothers hatched a grand scheme-- lets snag a cat and tie a string of Chinese firecrackers to it's tail. So we all went about catching a cat and when we did we implemented our brainstorm. This happened just after dark and when we touched off the firecrackers all we could see was a string of flashing lights zigzagging across the yard and around the corner of the barn. Never did see that cat again.

Another incident was not so funny. We had a big red rooster in the hen flock that delighted in chasing us kids. He was OK til we turned our backs on him then he'd jump on our back and start pecking the back of our head and neck. This was all right until he started chasing my little sisters. That was whole different page in that story. The boys could take it but Daddy's little angels were another matter. Mom put the word out and before long that rooster was a special guest for Sunday dinner. That was one drumstick I really enjoyed.

We always had a bunch of barn cats around the farm. One July 4th one of my brothers hatched a grand scheme-- lets snag a cat and tie a string of Chinese firecrackers to it's tail. So we all went about catching a cat and when we did we implemented our brainstorm. This happened just after dark and when we touched off the firecrackers all we could see was a string of flashing lights zigzagging across the yard and around the corner of the barn. Never did see that cat again.

Another incident was not so funny. We had a big red rooster in the hen flock that delighted in chasing us kids. He was OK til we turned our backs on him then he'd jump on our back and start pecking the back of our head and neck. This was all right until he started chasing my little sisters. That was whole different page in that story. The boys could take it but Daddy's little angels were another matter. Mom put the word out and before long that rooster was a special guest for Sunday dinner. That was one drumstick I really enjoyed.
@Newboomer
Reminds me of one I read in funny insurance claims.
These blokes were out pig hunting and one of them caught a piglet.
The decided to have some fun and tied a stick of gelignite/ dynamite to it and lit the fuse.
Well that little pig ran straight under their BRAND NEW 4X4. I can imagine the devastation .
The insurance claim title was pig blew up my car.
Bob

To any of you who currently have kids, you probably shouldn't tell them that q-tips fit nicely when wetted with a bit of saliva, into a bb gun barrel and make for epic hallway gun fights. Turning off the lights makes it even more of a challenge. Probably more dangerous too now that I think of it.

Ah, the things you can get up to and away with when your parents are just downstairs.

Since we are returning the dead, my biggest stupid is playing with a 20mm round in Kuwait.....

Won't do that sheet again. Still have my fingers attached.....

Wooden matchsticks fit pretty nicely into the barrel of a cross man 760 air rifle-then they popped and burned a minute if you hit something solid. Almost burned down the barn with that cute trick.
neighbor kids would tape a tack or marble to the primer of a shotgun shell and throw it up in the air. Good thing they always landed on the heavy end, never the primer end or one of us would be dead. Dad all but killed me when he caught us playing that game. He also bought a safe right after that.
BB gun fights, paint ball without goggles or padding, air soft battles-I’m awful glad I got this age with all my eyes and fingers! Great story OP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.