FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE RAISED A SON...!

Miracle any of us survived to adulthood considering some of the damn fool tricks we pulled as kids.
Just thought of another one. We used to go down in the woods and find tall slim hardwoods. We'd climb up to the top, maybe 20 feet off the ground, and let the tree bend and ride it down to the ground. Lots of fun until one broke with us about 10 to 15 up in the air. Fast ride down, hard landing and a tree on top of us. Luckily no one got hurt very bad, a few bruises and scratches.

Miracle any of us survived to adulthood considering some of the damn fool tricks we pulled as kids.
Just thought of another one. We used to go down in the woods and find tall slim hardwoods. We'd climb up to the top, maybe 20 feet off the ground, and let the tree bend and ride it down to the ground. Lots of fun until one broke with us about 10 to 15 up in the air. Fast ride down, hard landing and a tree on top of us. Luckily no one got hurt very bad, a few bruises and scratches.

And there were the ones that were a little too big. Bent over and left you hanging in the air, no way back and only one way down!

Being born in 1990 I was a kid when a lot of people already lost their sense of humour about young boys doing dumb shit.

Still, one very fateful day at the age of 6 or 7 I got a bow for birthday. At first the arrows were made out of reeds with some elderwood tips. They were nice for starting, but if you hit a mouse with them the mouse would laugh and run away...so I one day bought some arrows in a toy store. Those were made out of some real wood and hat very blunt iron tips that of course could easily be turned pointy by a seven year old kid that knew where dad had his files. I was out with that bow every day, hunting for sparrows and mice and all that such and quickly became quite skilled with it.

Long story short...about three weeks later the bow got locked up by my dad for four long and endless weeks. Some city folk a few hundred yards away caught me shooting the goldfish out of his garden pond....

Got my first dirt bike motorcycle on my 8th birthday. Did a lot of trail riding with my dad and uncle before I started racing. There was a time when I lived to ride daily and race motorcycles every weekend maybe even more than I love to hunt. Through high school and college, I had worked my way up to the pro class in 125cc & 250cc with a “support ride” from American Honda with two free bikes and parts. I never made it to a “factory ride” with a salary and staff mechanic. Along the way, I broke my right elbow (2 pins and a figure 8 wire installed), right femur and a lovely double-double (4 breaks) compound fracture of my right tibia and fibula (can you say Tiger Woods?). Now please understand that this was over the course of many years. Before I hung it up and got a real job, my uncle came to one of my races. He hadn’t ridden with me or watched me in years. After watching me that day, he told my dad, “That kid’s got more throttle than brains!” I’ve never forgotten that funny quote and my mom reminded me of it often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.