First timer plains game hunt

I have only been to Africa once and what others have said is true; you haven't even left Africa and you are plotting how to get back again. I met my outfitter at a local show and I can't impress to others how much I appreciate the choice I made. I chose Hotfire Hunting & Fishing Safaris.

Jac,
A mate and myself hunted with Victor Watson of Karoo Wild Safaris May 2015. We spent 2 weeks with Victor and I highly recommend him. It was extremely satisfying to deal with Karoo Wild Safaris and all the pre-planning communication was answered promptly. We hunted a number of properties that Victor has access to (mainly family ties) so it was a good opportunity to see different landscapes of the Eastern Cape. We saw many game species each day. The lodgings and hospitality was top rate, more than I expected. I suggest you read some of his news archives and look at the good trophies in his gallery. I warn you though, once you have gone for a safari in Africa you will not stop thinking about it on your return. If you have specific questions I am more than happy to answer them via PM.
Good luck with your planning. I wish I was at that stage again.

What has you most nervous?

By the way welcome to AH.
Well I guess just being so far from home where I have some control over things. That's one reason for wanting a trip like this. Is so I can learn to just let go...

Well I guess just being so far from home where I have some control over things. That's one reason for wanting a trip like this. Is so I can learn to just let go...

The difference in culture and sense of adventure is definitely part of the allure. I don't know if I learned to let go, but I do know that I feel different when I'm in Africa, and not just I'm on vacation different, so I know what you mean I think.

I will let you in on a secret though. We aren't really in control at home either. ;)

Reactions: JAC
Where and what are you planning on hunting? When I started, I didn't know a blesbok from a springbuck from a reedbuck. I googled the photos and thought "how will that look on the wall" and "What's the trophy fee?". From there I started contacting PHs with my "dream list" and booked with Marius at KMG. It was a wonderful trip BUT BE ADVISED!!!: There's only 2 safaris, your first and your NEXT!!! Going back 2017, this time ti Namibia and again with KMG.
I want to hunt plains game. In S.A.
Kudu
Gemsbok
Impala
Common springbok
Common duiker
Then female/cull
Red hartabeest
Blesbok
Blue wildebeest
Warthog

Jac,
The list of species you have can certainly be catered for by Karoo Wild Safaris. You will take some fine trophies and have fond memories. Walking around the hills in the Eastern Cape chasing elusive kudu was the highlight of my safari.
Don't be too nervous about your planning and enjoy the experience. You will certainly have no hassles if you deal directly with Victor.

Most of the reason I want all the information in advance is to know whats going on and then you can relax.

Have fun planning.

Welcome to the forum, you will find some interesting people here as well as some useful information. South Africa is a very good option for your first time plains game experience. Something you may want to consider as well, is the Location of your destination in terms of the "feel" of the safari. If you are looking for a "farm" experience or more of a "wild" experience. There are many excellent options for you to consider.

Welcome to AH!

Regards
Jacques

Hello everybody-
I have decided to begin this journey.
I am researching and planning. i know there are a lot of outfitters on this site but i am looking for some folks that can tell me about their plains game safari. i am want to know who you used and why.
i am super nervous about being that far away from anything i know, but thrilled at the same time.
I have emailed with a couple of safari owners/outfitter and feel pretty good about Karoo wild safari.
has anyone been to this place?
i was thinking on doing the dip and pack option and having the taxidermy work done here at home.
opinions??
Happened upon your request for info on karoo wild safaris. Victor and Lindsay are outstanding. My son and I hunted with them for 10 days May 2014. Lots of game, food and accommodations, staff and service were all outstanding. My son, future daughter in law and I are hunting with Karoo Wild Safaris for our second time in just over 3 weeks. Very private, your group will be the only one in camp.

Hello everybody-
I have decided to begin this journey.
I am researching and planning. i know there are a lot of outfitters on this site but i am looking for some folks that can tell me about their plains game safari. i am want to know who you used and why.
i am super nervous about being that far away from anything i know, but thrilled at the same time.
I have emailed with a couple of safari owners/outfitter and feel pretty good about Karoo wild safari.
has anyone been to this place?
i was thinking on doing the dip and pack option and having the taxidermy work done here at home.
opinions??
On the dip and pack. Victor took care of getting hides and horns to a taxidermist in the eastern cape. made sure you have a import/export broker and taxidermy service picked out before you leave. I used D&L out of Chicago for getting trophies into the US and Wildlife Gallery Blanchard MI did most of the taxidermy.

I would highly recommend reading some of the old threads.

I would start with the hunting reports. Read them all ... you will learn sooooo much. Some reports share more than others, but you would get an idea pretty quick about the diversity of outfitters and options. I took the time to look at the individual websites and then work down to references. Don't just ask if they enjoyed the hunt. Ask how they hunted (e.g., lots of time driving between concessions vs. hunting on the concession that you were staying at or all spot and stalk vs. driving around and shooting from the truck). You will find a number of good references for Karoo Wild Safaris that are active on the site and if that is who you go with .... the time you spent reading about other outfitters will make you a better client.

Check out the Safari Planning sections as well.

I went with Blaauwkrantz Safaris in the Eastern Cape ... a complete hunting report can be found here - http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ris-the-best-kudu-hunting-in-the-world.16423/ ...

And ask the outfitter/PH the right questions about trophy quality, old shootables etc. Also, if possible, use the list for guidance for the PH and yourself, if something else shows up, be open for suggestions especially if it is BIG. Also consider what mounts you want the taxidermist to do (full, pedestal, shoulder, skull mount only, backskin), so the skinners start cutting in the right direction...

I haven't hunted with Karoo Safaris yet, but in a couple months you can ask me about it because I'll have hunted with them by then. Victor was very honest and generous with information about hunting South Africa. I checked out his numerous references, and they all gave glowing reports. I know my wife and I will have a good time.

I would highly recommend reading some of the old threads.

I would start with the hunting reports. Read them all ... you will learn sooooo much. Some reports share more than others, but you would get an idea pretty quick about the diversity of outfitters and options. I took the time to look at the individual websites and then work down to references. Don't just ask if they enjoyed the hunt. Ask how they hunted (e.g., lots of time driving between concessions vs. hunting on the concession that you were staying at or all spot and stalk vs. driving around and shooting from the truck). You will find a number of good references for Karoo Wild Safaris that are active on the site and if that is who you go with .... the time you spent reading about other outfitters will make you a better client.

Check out the Safari Planning sections as well.

I went with Blaauwkrantz Safaris in the Eastern Cape ... a complete hunting report can be found here - http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ris-the-best-kudu-hunting-in-the-world.16423/ ...
This can't be repeated too often.

Even though I had very good friends in the RSA who took care of every aspect of my trip for me finding this website and reading till my eyeballs were ready to fall out was an immense help in getting me ready to go and helping me to be mentally prepared.

This website is an invaluable resource for the first timer.

I haven's been with Karoo and don't want to steal your thread but check out Settlers Safaris also. They are near Grahamstown and have all the species that you have listed. I represent them here in the US and so am somewhat biased. Send me a PM if you would like more info.

Good advice from Scott. Read the hunt reports on here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg