AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC; DSCOK
Hunted
Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
One thing that I have learned/regretted with very limited experience is about set animal wish lists. I had always wanted a Kudu and Gemsbok, so on my first trip -to Limpopo- I was focused on those two animals. I didn't realize seeing all those animals I never had on my list would change my opinion once I was over there. The Limpopo is great for Kudu and I got a great bull. I got an average Gemsbok and had a great hunt and memories from it. But I now have the bug big time for a Bushbuck, an animal I was in a great area for and never even hunted them. I have since been to the Northern Cape and am trying to get to Namibia (dang Coronavirus:Rage:). Both great areas for trophy Gemsbok but no Bushbuck available. From now on I will do a better job at studying all available animals and pay special attention to animals that are native to, and potentially better trophy areas for where I am.

chashardy

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Use a firearms expediter to clear your rifles in South Africa--saves a lot of time and you get all the paperwork done before you leave the U.S.
Also, treat your U.S. 4457 like your passport. Keep it safe. I had it paper clipped to the back of all the SA police documentation and as I was leaving, the agent kept a lot of that paperwork--including my 4457. Had to get a really nice agent at the Delta gate to go back and get it.

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
Use a firearms expediter to clear your rifles in South Africa--saves a lot of time and you get all the paperwork done before you leave the U.S.
Also, treat your U.S. 4457 like your passport. Keep it safe. I had it paper clipped to the back of all the SA police documentation and as I was leaving, the agent kept a lot of that paperwork--including my 4457. Had to get a really nice agent at the Delta gate to go back and get it.

With this,

I recommend carrying at least 3 copies of:

Your original documents:
Passport,
Visa- if required,
CBP 4457,
SAPS 520,
Drivers licence- any other IDs-especially government IDs,
Letter(s) of Invitation,
Contract(s) and reciepts between you and your outfitter--Booking Agent if used
Birth Certicate (copy notarized)
Shot/Vaccine Records
Airline itinerary
Trip itinerary

Have these items notarized copies of:

Passport
Visa if done here in the US,
Driver licence
Birth Certicate (copy)

All copies of SAPS 520 should have your original signature on them, should the original be inopportune time, lost or misplaced.

Keep originals at hand, place 1 copy in check baggage, 1 copy in weapons case, 1 copy in carry-on.

Should you misplace or anything happen to your original paperwork, this information can very well hope you in obtaining replacements through an embassy, or lessen any disruption in your travel, and having copy of your contract, especially if a booking agent is involved, could come in handy should any conflict/dispute arise.

Buffalo1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Pope & Young Club; DSC; SCI; Ms Bowhunters Assoc
Hunted
I am a bowhunter.

Common mistakes:
1. Not booking with an outfitter who specializes in bowhunting
2. Not knowing African animal anatomy and not shooting forward enough
3. Not understanding that the trophies come in last to the waterhole, patience
4. Not keeping an arrow nocked- things can happen fast !
5. Being quiet after a shot, opportunities can follow on other animals after a shot on
the first animal.
6. Never get in front of a tracker or PH when tracking a shot animal.
7. Don't talk to tracker or PH when tracking- be super quiet
8. Always check hides and ground blinds for snakes before entering
9. Take a good camera, enough chips and extra batteries
10. Take a notebook to record the daily events
10. Listen to the PH, but don't be afraid to ask questions

For all hunters-gun or bow:

Never book an African hunt for less than 10 days.

yhc

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA (Alaska, Colorado, Kansas), Germany, Austria
With this,

I recommend carrying at least 3 copies of:

Your original documents:
Passport,
Visa- if required,
CBP 4457,
SAPS 520,
Drivers licence- any other IDs-especially government IDs,
Letter(s) of Invitation,
Contract(s) and reciepts between you and your outfitter--Booking Agent if used
Birth Certicate (copy notarized)
Shot/Vaccine Records
Airline itinerary
Trip itinerary

Have these items notarized copies of:

Passport
Visa if done here in the US,
Driver licence
Birth Certicate (copy)

All copies of SAPS 520 should have your original signature on them, should the original be inopportune time, lost or misplaced.

Keep originals at hand, place 1 copy in check baggage, 1 copy in weapons case, 1 copy in carry-on.

Should you misplace or anything happen to your original paperwork, this information can very well hope you in obtaining replacements through an embassy, or lessen any disruption in your travel, and having copy of your contract, especially if a booking agent is involved, could come in handy should any conflict/dispute arise.

Good morning.

Would you kindly explain what the purpose of having copies of birth certificate is for?

Regards,

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
In my experience, birth certificate was needed for my son (minor) to confirm he is actually my son, this was supposed to be accompanyed with statement from my wife - his mother, verified in notary public office, that she is in agreement for me to take my son to Africa for safari.

I travelled only once with my son to Africa, and this is how it was. I am not saying, in other countries and with other outfitters is actually the same, or different, or required, or not required. But this was in my case.

yhc

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA (Alaska, Colorado, Kansas), Germany, Austria
In my experience, birth certificate was needed for my son (minor) to confirm he is actually my son, this was supposed to be accompanyed with statement from my wife - his mother, verified in notary public office, that she is in agreement for me to take my son to Africa for safari.

I travelled only once with my son to Africa, and this is how it was. I am not saying, in other countries and with other outfitters is actually the same, or different, or required, or not required. But this was in my case.

Thanks for the info mark-hunter.

autofire

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia(2), RSA(2), Botswana(2)
Don't fly out of Jberg to Windhoek on weekends. The trip when I flew out of Jberg on Saturday was a cluster***k in Windhoek. Lots of flights arriving, short staffed at immigration, 2hrs to clear immigration v normal 15 minutes. reserved driver MIA because he wouldn't wait , and more. Same as flying on local holiday.

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
Good morning.

Would you kindly explain what the purpose of having copies of birth certificate is for?

Regards,

Regardless of what country you are flying to criminals exist! Pickpockets to terrorists!, or you just plainly get stupid (a brain fart) and lose your passport. Having certified/ notarized copies of your passport, birth certicate, etc. can help you get through the process of getting a new passport at any US Embassy abroad, and get you back into the USA.

Without certified/ notarized copies of identification you may very well have a very bad and very prolong time trying to get a new passport and getting back to the USA.

You also want to secure ALL of this information and treat it as gold. Because that is what your personal information is to foreign criminals.

Having a copy of your name, address, cellphone number, in your luggage, gun case, etc., can help in getting your lost luggage, gun case, etc. returned to you quicker.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
This is very reasonable.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.