First safari booked!

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
After years of being a member on this forum and attending many DSC conventions I have finally put the money down on my first Africa trip! I have booked with Jamy Traut safari in Namibia. I plan to hunt kudu, gemsbok, zebra, and Red hartebeast and maybe whatever else I see that I want. Me and the wife are going may 10 for a 10 day hunt. I will be taking my 300 win mag and also my 375 HH. I know both rifles are not needed but a H&H must see Africa and I have sentimental value to the 300 win so both are going! Thank you to everyone who have answered many questions I have had other the past few months! So I will be flying atl-joburg then overnite there at a hotel then off to Namibia the next day. Question is what is a close hotel that’s nice and safe to the joburg airport that we can stay in that nite? Thanks for the info!

Hope you have a great hunt. Be sure to share a report and pictures.

After years of being a member on this forum and attending many DSC conventions I have finally put the money down on my first Africa trip! I have booked with Jamy Traut safari in Namibia. I plan to hunt kudu, gemsbok, zebra, and Red hartebeast and maybe whatever else I see that I want. Me and the wife are going may 10 for a 10 day hunt. I will be taking my 300 win mag and also my 375 HH. I know both rifles are not needed but a H&H must see Africa and I have sentimental value to the 300 win so both are going! Thank you to everyone who have answered many questions I have had other the past few months! So I will be flying atl-joburg then overnite there at a hotel then off to Namibia the next day. Question is what is a close hotel that’s nice and safe to the joburg airport that we can stay in that nite? Thanks for the info!

Congratulations! You've picked an outfitter with a solid reputation. There is a hotel there at O.R. Tambo airport, City Lodge I believe it is called that you can walk to without actually leaving the airport. I believe it's a skywalk from the terminal across a parking lot and into the hotel lobby. I've obviously not stayed there, but I'm sure others will be along that can correct me if I'm wrong.

There are also a couple of nice B&B's that cater to hunters very close to the airport and who will pick you up and take you there. Afton Guest House, been around for a long time and had a great reputation. As I've read recently that reputation has gone downhill a bit. The other is Africa Sky which has a great reputation.

Since you will be overnighting in Joberg and clearing immigration, you will need a transit permit for your rifles if I'm not mistaken. I believe this is easy enough to obtain, not much different than if you were staying in RSA for your hunt. Either one of the B&B's mentioned above can assist you with the permit by the way.

A .300WM and a .375HH make for a great PG two gun battery!

Have a great time.
Lots of pictures and notes for the hunt report

Last edited:
Congrats, we look forward to the hunt report!

These few months will fly by and before you know it you will be in a plane over the Atlantic, pinching yourself to be sure it's real. Take lots of pictures. We did not take near enough. Good luck, Philip

You will love hunting Namibia and I am sure you will have a great trip. Looking forward to your report and pictures.

Travis, I am sure you will have one of the greatest times in your life. Agree with you fully that if you own a .375 HH, it has to go to Africa at least once, because that is where it belongs!

I love the anticipation of going to Africa. You will think about everyday before you go and for a long time afterward. Planning and getting ready is a big part of the trip. I know the calipers you are taking. What bullet you shooting? In addition practice from sticks out 200 yards. You will love Namibia. Congrats

I love the anticipation of going to Africa. You will think about everyday before you go and for a long time afterward. Planning and getting ready is a big part of the trip. I know the calipers you are taking. What bullet you shooting? In addition practice from sticks out 200 yards. You will love Namibia. Congrats

I am shooting 180 gr trophy bonded tips in the 300 win and 300gr A-frames in the 375.

Congrats Travis! You and your wife will have a wonderful trip I am sure (y)
I have stayed at African Sky and City Lodge. Especially for just an ovenight, I would choose City Lodge. Great hotel and super convenient.
I have not stayed at the Intercontinental, but I have heard good things about it too.
Some might say a smart man would get his wife to check out both hotels websites and let her choose. I’m not really qualified to comment on that though... ;)

Congrats on your upcoming hunt. On your question about overnight lodging, City Lodge is the simplest, easiest and probably safest place to stay plus you get a nice breakfast. Have stayed there four times and Afton House once, would not stay there again. The B&Bs are, from my perspective, too much of a hassle versus the City Lodge. One had security issues with a break-in while hunters were there.

Thank you everyone for the response. I will check out these hotels!

Congrats on booking your safari- the adventure begins!

I highly recommend the africa sky guest house. Thier driver will pick you up and drop you off at the airport, delicious dinner, great rooms and facilities, etc.

Here's thier webpage:
http://www.africasky.co.za

Great pick Namibia as your first African hunting destination. That was my choice several years ago and it was my first safari also. I took all of my plains game with a 300 WSM shooting 180 gr Barnes tsx ammo. Fabulous results. Your 375 with Swift A frames is a deadly combination. I just took buffalo and waterbuck with mine. Have a fabulous time! Pictures and more pictures. If you have a video camera take it along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you