Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
So I've been stewing over matching cartridges to application and I can't seem to find a justification for a .308 caliber like a 300 win mag (for my applications). Below is my list, please help me find a niche!

I hunt in Southern Africa and will be heading to New Zealand, just to give you an idea...

1) Thick bush
Double/short bolt action in either 500/416 or 416 Rigby. Reason being one doesn't need to worry about angles in emergency situations, less chance of the bullet being bumped off its course and it's a comfort having a big enough stick... nuff said

2) Backpack/long range
.338 win mag falling block with 26 inch barrel. Light, powerful enough to provide the shooter with peace of mind and a handy size for long carries and so on.

3) General purpose
Bolt action .375 H&H... Just works for those hunts with a bit of everything.

4) Vermin & culls
Bolt action 6.5x55 with suppressor. Heavy enough projectiles for hunting smaller game up to black wildebeest and awesome as an option for long range on baboon and jackal.

As I'm sure is the case for most people, I'm not really recoil sensitive when the rifle is built properly, so I don't have much issue for using larger calibers on smaller animals (with in reason).

The only spot I see open is for something like a small 6mm for really small game... The 308 doesn't fit!

Why do you feel you must have a .308?

Looks to me like you’re pretty well set up.
NZ a 300WM would reach out well for the long distances on stag, chamois, or thar, but a lighter bullet in the 338WM should do fine.
JMO

Justification for a .300 Win Mag? Knock down power at long distance, 500 meters + on mid to large size animals with heavy for caliber bullets.

Told myself 50 years ago that I should have a 223, 243, 7mm, 300, 340 and a 375 then added a 458 lott.
Did not do the justification as you did. Has filled any need or want that I had over the years. You might say I backed into the arsenal and had a lot of fun doing it. Kept me working and saving my money for the important things.
You can never have too many guns and many times needs will overlap.
Good luck and just buy the 308 when you can

Justification ? I didn't realize I needed justification to own a 30 cal. That would present a problem for me, you see I currently own 4 - 30-06's, and a 300 H&H. I used to own 6 - 30-06's a 300 H&H and a 300 WM, but have recently reduced my arsenal a little bit. I just like 30 cals. and never thought about justifying the purchase of any of them. To each his own I guess, all I can tell you Alexandro is that if a 30 cal. comes your way at a reasonable price buy it, you can always justify the purchase later if you have to.

Your backup or alternate rifle for reasons 1 through 4? A 30 cal magnum would work for all of those situations with the right bullet thusly:

1 - 240gr or 200gr (not dangerous African game)
2 - 180gr
3 - 180gr
4 - 180/150 monumental

:)

Not much you can’t handle with your current battery. So at this point your purchase of a 308 is in no need of justification. It falls into the do I want a 308 catagory. My main love affair with the 30 cal is bullet selection. Mouse to Moose, the 30 cal bullet selection will handle it. Now with that being said, that 338 or 375 are also perfect all around cartridges also. My favorites in the 30 cal mags are the 300 H&H and the 300 RUM, the RUM shoots like a laser and the H&H is just such a cool and wonderful cartridge.
You wouldn’t have posted the question if you were not at least considering a 308 so go ahead and pick one up. You aren’t marrying it, if you find no value in it, sell it.
Cheers,
Cody

A lot of kiwis hunt everything with one gun and often its a tikka t3 7mm08.

I wouldn't bother getting anything else aside from what you have. 6.5 will do most of what you want, the 338 will handle the long range stuff

Justification - you don't have one. Done. (y)

ok 300H&H there is your justification. just because. don't worry about justification till you need couple bigger safes or build a gun room options come up. Then you have a true justification dilemma gun room or two safaris?? gun room or BIG 5 safari. gun room or Kodiak bear hunt. Or Gun room or Romania/Germany/Italy/Austria hunt/vacation. Or gunroom or New Zealand/Australia or gun room or Argentina hunt etc Hope that helps clarify justification question.

If I needed justification to buy any firearm I would not own hardly any of the ones I have. Need never comes into the picture. Want/desire does as does having the money to buy.

As stated by several above, you have little "need" to justify a 30 caliber.
It comes down to what you want and can afford.
Versatility comes to mind when I think 30 caliber and IMO 300WM and 308WIN (one long action, one short) are incredibly versatile.
Good luck with your decision.

Need and want are two different things, with your battery you don't need a new rifle but you may want one. I own a 30-06 and a 300WM but I don't really need the 300WM, I'm not a fan of long range shooting and at 200 yards the 06 will do everything the 300WM will do without the extra recoil.

A 300 of any flavor, in a trim package, would be a great back up gun for everything on your list basically. Popular around the world, it'll do what you need without being task specific. I think its a great idea having a good back up. I myself, have a 270 Win that i take on almost every hunt as a back up. Shoots cheap Federal Fusion ammo sub-moa, is very light, sturdy, and topped with a VX-2 3-9x40. It covers 90% of any hunting I do in the USA in case my task specific rifle has an issue.

"Need" may be the dirtiest 4-letter word of all. That's the word our opponents are using to try and take all of our fun away.

As others have said, if you want it and have the money for it, then that's your justification.

The only spot I see open is for something like a small 6mm for really small game... The 308 doesn't fit!

Yes it does fit.
All you have to do is to stop thinking of utility use of each caliber.
Start thinking about your self as being a collector of useful calibers.
Once you mentally become a collector, then there is no stoppage. The new door and numerous opporunities will open. Then new caliber is always needed. No harm in collecting! Enjoy!

Yes it does fit.
All you have to do is to stop thinking of utility use of each caliber.
Start thinking about your self as being a collector of useful calibers.
Once you mentally become a collector, then there is no stoppage. The new door and numerous opporunities will open. Then new caliber is always needed. No harm in collecting! Enjoy!

Exactly this. The guy buying his first hunting rifle will take the utilitarian view. And probably the guy buying his 2nd and even 3rd hunting rifles takes the utilitarian view. If you stop and think about it, 3 rifles will cover all game species on earth. Everything after #3 is clearly a "want," then, and not a need. But the first 3 rifles are also "wants." No individual "needs" to hunt.

If you are comfortable shooting all on your list you don't need a 30.

I can say I know a lot of people in Alaska who started with a 338 WM as their all purpose and moved to a 30 (usually 308 or 30-06) for everything but bear. All of the 30's are easier on the shoulder and wallet.

So I've been stewing over matching cartridges to application and I can't seem to find a justification for a .308 caliber like a 300 win mag (for my applications). Below is my list, please help me find a niche!

I hunt in Southern Africa and will be heading to New Zealand, just to give you an idea...

1) Thick bush
Double/short bolt action in either 500/416 or 416 Rigby. Reason being one doesn't need to worry about angles in emergency situations, less chance of the bullet being bumped off its course and it's a comfort having a big enough stick... nuff said

2) Backpack/long range
.338 win mag falling block with 26 inch barrel. Light, powerful enough to provide the shooter with peace of mind and a handy size for long carries and so on.

3) General purpose
Bolt action .375 H&H... Just works for those hunts with a bit of everything.

4) Vermin & culls
Bolt action 6.5x55 with suppressor. Heavy enough projectiles for hunting smaller game up to black wildebeest and awesome as an option for long range on baboon and jackal.

As I'm sure is the case for most people, I'm not really recoil sensitive when the rifle is built properly, so I don't have much issue for using larger calibers on smaller animals (with in reason).

@Alexandro Faria
I don't see any gaps apart from a 22 centre fire like a 22 hornet or 22/250. All other bases are covered. Where one ends you have another to take over and a couple of do everything rounds. Save your money and buy Moe ammo, reloading gear or put it towards another hunt.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg