Feral cats in Australia

More than fifty years ago, I got the regular job of clearing feral cats from a chicken farm in the Transvaal. At the risk of being run out of town by you serious powder burners, I admit I used my old Walther PP Sport target pistol in .22 (shades of James Bond). I could slide it under my jacket if the children or visitors appeared.
It was pretty easy to sort the farm cats from the feral - the farm cats ignore you but the ferals get snarly straight away and don't back down. You could walk almost up to them and they just snarled louder.
I drilled my .22s with a 3mm drill bit and packed them with vaseline...those were the days. Needs must. They worked well and never needed a second. All head shots, mostly straight on.
A word of warning. Don't try to pick up a freshly dead feral cat, even by the tail. I swear the blighters can come back from the dead for a last go at you. They are seriously tough creatures and amazing ambush predators.

Took an African Wildcat in Namibia ..... My PH was thrilled beyond belief ! ...My response was why we shoot cats in Canada all the time ? ...LOL ! No pressure
DSCF1605.JPG
?

Central QLD is over run with them, they can survive nearly anywhere with barely any water but plenty of native wildlife. Growing up I shot them, live trapped them, had pig dogs kill them, ran over them, baited them etc. I've seen them kill and eat wallabies and young kangaroos, they kill and eat every available food source from tiny insects through to carrion. Most memorable one ran up a hollow log, I chased it out with an skk starting at one end of the log and moving along and as it came out two browning a5's with sg's rubbed it into the dirt. Hate them with a passion

I am with you on your dislike for them. I have lost a couple of deer I was stalking on different occasions. One was a cat I saw on another a feral dog. The ferals were shot and deer got away. I have not shot a great many but have used, 22LR, 270, 30-30, 35Sambar, 375H&H and 416 Rigby on them. In other words what ever firearm is in my hands.

the process is called "finding them a good home".
bruce.

The process has usually been politely referred to here as "relocation", Bruce.

In the case of reptiles, said "relocation" can often be to two or more separate locations.

My grandparents had a dairy about 2 miles outside a town of about 5000 in central Alberta. It was amazing how many cats accumulated there. We had moved to Airdrie/Calgary and when I returned for visits, Grandma began telling me to get my gun (intended for ground squirrels) and shoot some cats. I didn't want to, but she was my grandmother and she was quite insistent. So, for several years, anytime I went to their place, I was the designated cat whacker.

Interestingly, when you start shooting cats, the first 2-3 are pretty easy, but they become pretty wary very quickly and are often a challenge to get a good shot opportunity. Always have to be careful of the farm equipment, buildings and livestock. I once got a double with my shotgun, one went left and one went right, both clean kills, I even had to let the left one clear the bailer before I could shoot.

I usually used a 22LR HP. Some of the cats amazed me with their tenacity to cling to life. Much tougher than I would have thought.

One thing I did learn, when on a church young persons/college/career hayride, don't mention to the young ladies that you have shot some cats for your grandma. Apparently urban young ladies did not share my rural sensibilities (I had only been in the city a couple of years by then.). Oh well, they weren't that attractive anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.