Feral cats in Australia

@Dinosaur 1080 is an acute poison. It does not accumulate in the body. A non lethal dose may cause sickness and be passed with faeces etc.
A chronic poison my build up in the system.
1080 poison Sodium flouroacetate is naturally occurring in many Australian native plants and most native animals have tolerance to it.
Foxes and dogs have very little tolerance.

Your friend probably has a bio security obligation for the property. It is law just like if you want to drive obey the rules, if you own a house pay rates or if you have. Property control pests. I would think he would be notified if they were expecting. Contribution toward a broadscale program. Let’s not get into that one.

Scientists work out what Lethal dose Is to kill a type of animal to effectively kill 50% of a tested simple 100% of the time. That is a LD50, Lethal dose 50. From that they set a rate of dose for a bait expecting to kill a target animal .
A fox bait has .1ml injected in a fresh bait containing 3mg of active ingredient. A dog bait is double. A pig bait is generally a commercially manufactured long life bait with 72mg of active.
The poison we use is a synthesised version manufactured in the U.S where they do no they use it. It is imported by companies in Australia for distribution or preparation. The science is no secret it could be produced by the same people importing it. Scientists.
Most animals would show symptoms within a few hours and likely dead within 6 after consuming a lethal dose. There are distance restrictions and rate of laying for baiting that are set to eliminate cache in general by individual animals or multiple baits being taken by non target animals like Quolls or Goannas.
It breaks down readily in the environment etc.
There are recorded incidents of accidentally poisoning of humans that resulted in death. The short version is that you would need to eat a lot of unpalatable baits to succumb from poisoning of 1080 or have access to the restricted 1080 concentrate.

G'day CBH

Thank you for your generous, and informative, response, the 1080 information that I read was in a popular at the time in an Australian shooting magazine article, one of the regular writers with his own monthly page wrote the article. His article appeared to me to be of a scientific nature, and I assumed it to be correct, and I now realise that I have been misinformed, therefore I apologise to all the viewers of this site about quoting incorrect info.

Honestly I hate poison baiting, and the original article I mentioned turned me against 1080. Yes, sometimes there is no other option but poisoning, as it can be the only safe measure. But, I even felt guilty when I had to poison mice and rats with bait, as I had no other suitable option to dispose of them at the time.

By the way, you mentioned my friend having a Bio security obligation with the laying of aerial baits, along the dingo fence, yes, you are totally correct there, the local council were doing this legally.

It was just one of the hidden things that pop up out of nowhere when being a new landholder, mining rights beneath your land, together with miner's access rights, being another. A farmer I used to know had huge acreage between Lightning Ridge and the Queensland border. He had a lot of his property dug up by opal miners, the farmer said that it was totally legal for the miners to do so.

CBH, once again, thank you for thoroughly filling me in on the 1080, your notes are extremely interesting, especially when you mentioned that 1080 breaks down readily in the environment, that is a definite plus.

Regards

Rob

@Dinosaur , I can only relay what i was taught as a person authorised to issue it having also worked in bio-security.
I have a pro approach to the use of various forms of control but we are all pro on the shooting front as well.
Its sometimes a juggle to liase with landholders and encourage them to come onboard voluntarily and meet obligations.

Some often have a pre conceived idea but in my role i was there to help and just had to sell the idea and break down the barrier s as some have bee around a long time and think they will influence the new bloke, they forget in NSW they really only own a lease on the land. Most are fine but when asking them for fees for service when they pay rates you need to be able to sell that the rates contribute to a part of the whole thing the fee we charged for extras was nominal and only recovered material, my time travel etc were all a small part of many peoples contributions and government funding.

Dont take it all as gospel that is my condesnsed explanation and i am not a scientist but i dont quote anything that i dont believe or would not try prove as correct but always on here and its good to be able to speak to something that i know about as i read a lot on firearms but there are many here with vast experience and different firearmss. i like bolt action hunting rifles thats my budget but i can see why people appreciate their Blaser R8 and Doubles etc but i do like traditional rifles except when you need stainlees synthetic for low maintenence or environmental conditions.

Well ... Winchester Australia's 12 Bore 2.75 inch 32 gram AAA cartridges ( which hold 42 pellets of 5.08 mm diameter ) are working quite well for me . Civet cats are a massive threat to our chickens and baby goats.
received_684547888988639.jpeg
IMG_20200415_184115.jpg

Bruce moulds
Any thing is better than the 243 even a sling shot. Would love to hit one with the 35 and a 200 grain flex tip launched at 2,900+fps. Should do a dandy job of rearranging it's anatomy.
Bob

Hey I used a 243 for many years on wild pigs and dogs.

Well ... Winchester Australia's 12 Bore 2.75 inch 32 gram AAA cartridges ( which hold 42 pellets of 5.08 mm diameter ) are working quite well for me . Civet cats are a massive threat to our chickens and baby goats.
View attachment 348177 View attachment 348178

Major Khan, shame on you, you should have caught your civet cat live, as there is big money selling coffee beans that civets expel from their rear. Do you have a local coffee plantation nearby ?

Honestly, I have eaten a lot of unusual things, by mistake, and deliberately, but I don't think I will drink coffee beans expelled by a civet. :)

Regards
Rob

Bantai Civet Coffee Kopi Luwak.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Major Khan, shame on you, you should have caught your civet cat live, as there is big money selling coffee beans that civets expel from their rear. Do you have a local coffee plantation nearby ?

Honestly, I have eaten a lot of unusual things, by mistake, and deliberately, but I don't think I will drink coffee beans expelled by a civet. :)

Regards
Rob
I think that I shall just stick to my favorite Black Turkish Coffee , Rob . I have a problem eating anything , that ANY creature expels from their rear ( Excepts eggs , but eggs are not excrement ) .

By the way ... Do keep me in your prayers . I am going after more civet cats , tonight.

I think that I shall just stick to my favorite Black Turkish Coffee , Rob . I have a problem eating anything , that ANY creature expels from their rear ( Excepts eggs , but eggs are not excrement ) .

By the way ... Do keep me in your prayers . I am going after more civet cats , tonight.

Major, you are a classic :)

All the best for tonight's hunt, looking forward to the results, and load a solid in your second barrel, just in case you come across a Shaitan of a leopard.

Take care and enjoy
Rob

I went to a coffee plantation in Bali and sampled that kind of coffee. It was good.

Reminds me if the movie " The bucket list", and the Kopi Luwak coffee.
Can someone explain why they use the ecreted beans?
Does it a tualky impeove the coffee or is just a gimmich?

Can someone explain why they use the ecreted beans?
Does it a tualky impeove the coffee or is just a gimmich?

G'day CBH,

This is directly quoted from Wikiepedia:

Kopi luwak is a coffee that consists of partially digested coffee cherries, which have been eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus). It is therefore also called civet coffee. The cherries are fermented as they pass through a civet's intestines, and after being defecated with other fecal matter, they are collected.

and more:

Kopi luwak is brewed from coffee beans that transversed the gastrointestinal tract of an Asian palm civet, and were thus subjected to a combination of acidic, enzymatic and fermentation treatment. During digestion, digestive enzymes and gastric juices permeate through the endocarp of coffee cherries and break down storage proteins, yielding shorter peptides. This alters the composition of amino acids and impacts the aroma of the coffee. In the roasting process, the proteins undergo a non-enzymatic Maillard reaction. The palm civet is thought to select the most ripe and flawless coffee cherries. This selection influences the flavour of the coffee, as does the digestive process. The beans begin to germinate by malting, which reduces their bitterness.

Regards

Rob

The @Dinosaur thanks Rob, I was thinking I should google it as I was writing the question. When I’m not on this bloody site I am working , renovating or away at work but that is interesting, very interesting .

I wonder what made people go hey let’s sort through the shit and take the coffee beans.

Sounds expensive, I guess the roasting kills germs but the thought of it. People probably eat worse I guess.
Maybe I would try it if it was $1 more than a cafe coffee but I don’t have many of them either.

Last edited:
I actually spent a few weeks in Sumatra, Indonesia on business and learned about the civet coffee firsthand. So the story I heard about the coffee and how anyone would figure out to try cat-crap coffee goes like this:

The Dutch owned the coffee plantations and it was a very valuable crop. So all went to export and none for the locals. The farm workers noticed the civets ate only certain beans, I think it was not quite ripe. The stomach acid dissolves the out layer of the bean, which is actually bitter. So when the bean exited the cat, it was actually a better coffee bean. The locals cleaned the beans and brewed so very nice coffee and the rest is history.

A friend of mine went to Bali and brought back some Civet coffee. It´s good, but nowhere worth what it costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!