federal custom shop

I'd like to see the cost of that custom ammo. It may just push more into reloading.

You have to figure that if you are picky enough to want to shoot custom ammo you are quite likely reloading now.

Website shows 99.99 per box of 20
@Areaonereal
100 bucks a,box of 20 tell em they're dreaming. For the cost of a100 custom rounds I could by a lot of powder, primers and projectiles and load better ammo myself.
Bob

I’m sure that they are not targeting the average man for there sales quotas! If you can afford a $100,000.00 plus for a rifle, chances are you are not getting your hands dirty reloading your own ammunition.
Mmm, that takes the fun out of it.
I enjoy reloading and selecting components, discussing loads with friends etc. And of course testing them and firing off a few rounds.
If I was wealthy i hope i would find th ed time to enjoy the whole of the journey of the hunt.

I’m sure that they are not targeting the average man for there sales quotas! If you can afford a $100,000.00 plus for a rifle, chances are you are not getting your hands dirty reloading your own ammunition.

Nope I would have my own ammo factory.... :A Thumbs Up:

Just an FYI...I talked to a marketing friend who gets bulk ammo direct from Federal for special occasions. He says Federal’s annual sales is $2 billion and they are currently behind...wait for it...$2 billion in orders! What a crazy time we live in!

I certainly wish that they would load their 500 grain Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solids ( in .458 Winchester Magnum ) to a velocity higher than the pitiful 1950 feet per second ( which they currently advertise ) .

I certainly wish that they would load their 500 grain Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solids ( in .458 Winchester Magnum ) to a velocity higher than the pitiful 1950 feet per second ( which they currently advertise ) .
They might now for a fee,

I stopped using Federal ammo because it's unreliable.
Not that it won't go bang...but I can't find it ANYWHERE.
Their production schedule for safari ammo is ridiculous.
Contacted them several time to listen to them tell lies...etc.
I'm done with them.

If I need something made, I'll call Hendershot's.
BTW - The 458WM 500 gr TBSS cost $250 per 20 cartridges.

Last edited:
I stopped using Federal ammo because it's unreliable.
Not that it won't go bang...but I can't find it ANYWHERE.
Their production schedule for safari ammo is ridiculous.
Contacted them several time to listen to them tell lies...etc.
I'm done with them.

If I need something made, I'll call Hendershot's.

BTW - The 458WM 500 gr TBSS cost $250 per 20 cartridges.
So for the cost of 100 rounds you could buy a good reloading kit and plenty of components.
I'm not sure they will sell too much custom ammo.
I hope it's worth it but unless you really are time poor and make squillions I'm not sure many would see the value.
I guess a $10 bullet (U.S.$) is worth it if it stomps and bites, but there are endless combinations a handloader could tailor to their rifle for less.

I get it Federal take your rifle, do the load development with premium components and quality brass from a reliable source then sell you ammunition custom loaded to your specific requirements. Now I see the value in that.

What it really comes down to is that if you want to shoot factory ammo and you find the type that your rifle likes and you like it too then you need to stock up.

Most manufactures will not keep excessive ammo in their warehouses just encase you want it. They will make a run of it and then wait until the next run, quite possibly in a year or more depending on how they see it selling or their distributor demands. And dangerous game or loads for the larger caliber cartridges may be even longer between runs at the factory. There just isn't a demand for it.

Now the problem with custom loaded ammo is that you have no idea if it is going to shoot the way that you expect out of your rifle. I load cartridges for a few friends and when I was working up the loads for them I had their rifles where I could test the loads out in. I would then hand them different targets with different loads and ask them just what they wanted me to load up for them. Some would take the fastest load where others wanted the most accurate load.

To achieve this with the Federal Custom Shop you are going to have to purchase a few different boxes of ammo, just like you do with regular factory ammo to see what your rifle likes if you want the most accurate round to shoot. Just telling them that you want XYZ brand of bullet in ABC grain at XXXXX fps just won't cut it. That is unless you get lucky.

@Areaonereal
100 bucks a,box of 20 tell em they're dreaming. For the cost of a100 custom rounds I could by a lot of powder, primers and projectiles and load better ammo myself.
Bob
Oh yeah, Where? None of those things have been available for months.

This may make sense if you generate $15/hr. working, never consider ROT, but by the time anyone who can afford to hunt Africa with any regularity performs all of the tasks to produce good ammo, they lost thier A$$ doing it.

I don't like it any more than anyone else, but at $100 I'm well ahead.

just saw that federal is offering custom loaded ammo.
could be handy for non reloaders.
bruce.
I would certainly consider doing it if the PH/guide had ideas for loads that weren't readily available. But at those prices I would not want to practice much with it. One shot from a bench, then adjust scope to cover the hole and a 2nd shot to confirm. OK maybe a 2nd and 3rd to confirm then practice with cheaper ammo.:cool:

Thought I would revive this thread. They had an advert/article on it in the Safari Times and I am just wondering if anyone has tried to order from them. They claim that "you will not have trouble finding what you need."
Curious if that claim has been put to the test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg