Favourite quotes - Here's mine, Quite a long list. What's yours?

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." - G.K. Chesterton
"Masculinity is the glad assumption of sacrificial responsibility." - Douglas Wilson
"A nation that makes a great distinction between its warriors and its scholars will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

Sounds about right, I heard or read it somewhere and it stuck with me.
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"
"You can do anything you set your mind to, therefore I can and I will." My philosophy.

I don’t need to shoot farther, I need to hunt closer.
- Gary Sitton

The light at the end of the tunnel is the front of an oncoming train.
- David Lee Roth

There is a difference between valuable and expensive.

“That kid’s got more throttle than brains!” Said my uncle, an experienced motorcycle rider himself, to my father after watching me at a motocross race.

“I am the rock you will break yourself against.” Can’t remember who.

Rule Number 9: Never ever go anywhere without a knife.
Jethro Gibbs

I'm in a hockey mood, so three from Herb Brooks:

"The legs feed the wolves."

"You don't have the talent to make it on talent alone."

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

Oh, and a couple of others from my personal list of rules, collected over time:

"If the zamboni is on the ice, you're not." Said by the team captain correcting one of his players.

"Any dog that weighs less than fifty pounds is a cat, and cats are pointless." Ron Swanson

"Never run aground with the anchor in the pipe. It upsets Lloyds." I forget who first said this, but it's really good advice

"Respect the Good Idea Cut Off Point." A Staff Officer of my acquaintance who shall remain nameless for his protection

"There is a high cost to low living." I forget who first said this, it might also have been Herb Brooks. But it's important to know

Another good quote I just remembered:

“Every man has two deaths, when he is buried in the ground and the last time someone says his name. In some ways men can be immortal.”​

- Ernest Hemingway

There comes a time in the lives of all men when your semi-annual erection becomes your annual semi-erection

- older colleague of mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Saddlemaker wrote on Never Been's profile.
Thanks for getting back to me, I'll pass, Great luck in sell it . I don't think you'll have it long
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.