vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
I am in the final preparation for my next rip to Africa and would really like a new hat and looking for a better sling. I will be headed to South Africa with a plains game rifle and dangerous game rifle in October (warm weather) What is your favorite type of safari hat? What slings do you like to use? Thanks!

I like the Claw sling for plains game rifle and no sling for the heavier bore and the Hat, I have a all leather Rogue hat I got in South Africa many years ago and it has lasted and has many more years of breaking in.

SC, I like the idea of the Rogue packaway hat. Would one of thier leather hats be too hot (not ventilated enough) to wear out and about in warmer weather temperatures?

I wore a $10 boonie hat that I got from Amazon and really liked it. Not only did it keep the sun off, but it kept thick brush from slapping my ears too.

For the sling I didn't use one. The brush was too thick and so I just carried my rifle. I took a sling and it never even made it to the truck. It stayed in my room. There is too much of a chance of having the gun slung at the wrong time and way too much brush to catch on for me to use a sling.

Reactions: lcq
Slings:
+1 with SCJagter on no sling for DG rifle.
+1 with Red Leg on www.traderkeith.com for sling to fit PG rifle.
Specifically, I own the one called "English Leather Sling" and also the one called "Trader Rifle Strap".
Both I have used in Africa with perfect satisfaction.

Hats:
#1. My all-time favorite was purchased in a tourist type small clothing store, Kona Hawaii for 20 or 25 dollars US, about 15 or more years ago.
It is a plain green color canvas, unlined in any way (not water resistant either) otherwise typical 1920s style fedora.
I'm wearing it in my avatar but with front of the brim turned up, as per the camera man's request.

#2. I also have an Aussie style "Boonie Hat" (similar to US / Viet Nam Jungle Hat, except with a bit wider brim).
This 2nd choice hat is always in my Africa kit, in case I need another top cover for any reason - such as if a pride of lions eats my lucky fedora, or in case I need to trade a hat to Tarzan for the hunting rights to his area, etc.

Some of my friends prefer a baseball type cap but those allow the sun to fry the tops of my ears so, I cannot abide them for Africa.
Sometimes I pose with one on that has the Safari Company logo on it to appease the PH but I will not wear any hat in sunny weather for very long that leaves my ears uncovered.

Cheers.

Never liked the bonnie hats. Didn't hear well with them Amplified the noise coming from the ground and hindered the sounds coming from around you. Seen guys cut the brim for this reason. Not much help from the sun with a short brim.

Like Velo Dog I used an Aussie style boonie hat that worked greAt. Just us whatever sling you are comfortable with in the states. Mine had good padding inside to keep the rifle from digging into my shoulder.
Part of the time I just wore a ball cap.

Has anyone tried the "Boonie Packer Safari Sling"?
link http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=3
It sets up to hold the rifle at about chest level - sort of a "port arms" position.
I bought one and it seems pretty good. I didn't take it with me because I didn't want to deal with a new method
on my first African hunt.

On my first trip I wore a "digger" my dad brought back from OZ after WWII. Later got a similar hat from Banana Republic when they made actual safari clothing. Now wear a boonie packer or just a ball cap, the AH hat last two trips. I have taken several different slings over the years. I think one is as good as another as long as it is broken in and useable.

SC, I like the idea of the Rogue packaway hat. Would one of thier leather hats be too hot (not ventilated enough) to wear out and about in warmer weather temperatures?

I have worn that hat all over Africa for the last 8 years and in regards to heat I sported it for 3 months in the Kalahari where it was 115 degrees in the shade and hot is hot no matter what hat you have in my opinion.

plus I like to have a solid hat that will fan good on hi and lo;)

I would have to say it wasn't the most comfortable hats to break in but after a few good rains and some sweats it fits like a nice pair of leather work gloves. I was just never a fan of anything vented just made me feel to much like a birdwatcher... Nothing against birdwatchers!:whistle:

with all that said I always keep a ball cap in my bag.

Last edited:
I always had a problem with my sling sliding off my shoulder and it was always very irritating especially when hiking etc. plus I walk alot with my barrel down on the shoulder because of thick brush always catching the barrel:mad:. I found the Claw to be cheap and extremely effective in the no slip department plus that rubber just molds to your shoulder so you don't have any awkward spots of pressure.
http://www.quakeinc.com/Store-View.php?id=450

I have a lot of hats, been looking for the "perfect" hat for a long time. Finally found it some months ago.
http://www.delmonicohatter.com/Borsalino/IT55.htm

While a bit pricey, it is a hat that will last a lifetime. I wore it at my bear hunt last month, and on my elephant hunt last two weeks in Zimbabwe. Very comfortable, protects one's ears from the African sun, and any branches etc. that happen to drop ;). It is also pretty light compared to the leather hats.

What is the maximum length of the Trader Keith (Trader Rifle Strap)?

I originally asked - "What is the maximum length of the Trader Keith (Trader Rifle Strap)?" and also emailed the company, but no response. A reply would be appreciated if someone here actually has one of these slings. I am looking for a sling (this one or similar) that is at least 37".

I "actually" have half a dozen - by max length assume you mean maximum length it will extend? The one I just checked is attached to a barrel band swivel and is extended to 40 inches with another 3 inches or so of play available. Unless you are fitting it to a Pennsylvania long rifle, I am sure it will be long enough.

I have used many different slings but the best is the Claw sling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross