Favorite Lubricants 2023?

If you're going to hunt in climates south of zero degrees Fahrenheit use dry lubricants such as spray graphite. I learned my lesson long ago in deep snow I think the temps varied from -7 to -14 that day and I lined up on the white tail of a lifetime only for my gun to make a clicking noise when I pulled the trigger. It was lubed very well with one of the many products mentioned above when it should have been completely cleaned with brake cleaner and dry lubed. This comment is especially pertinent to shotgunners because the magazine area is so wide open to the elements. That said my girlfriend has so many products I can't keep track of them. I'll ask her for her opinion and chime back in... I actually think one has glitter but I'm not sure what that's for...

@RockSlinger404
Vaseline should be kept away from firearms. It attracts dust and crud and gums things up.
I was once told Vaseline is only good for battery terminals, things that taste like battery terminals and lubrication of said area as well as some marine applications.
Bob
Bob, mix some Vaseline and Vegemite and "stroke" your synthetic stocks with it. AND, make a video for us showing your technique. Thanks!

Surprised more have not mentioned G96 gun treatment. Wonderful stuff for internal moving parts and OK for outside surface protection. AND it smells good! Won't freeze or gum up in very cold temperatures. But for outside barrel / action surfaces I've recently switched to Ballistol, and like that it doesn't harm wood. In the bore I use Hoppe's #9 or Wipe Out foam cleaner depending if it's a quick clean up or serious job. Seldom oil bores, only for prolonged storage.

I use Wipeout products to clean my bores and Kroil oil mostly but sometimes Ballistol

Surprised more have not mentioned G96 gun treatment. Wonderful stuff for internal moving parts and OK for outside surface protection. AND it smells good! Won't freeze or gum up in very cold temperatures. But for outside barrel / action surfaces I've recently switched to Ballistol, and like that it doesn't harm wood. In the bore I use Hoppe's #9 or Wipe Out foam cleaner depending if it's a quick clean up or serious job. Seldom oil bores, only for prolonged storage.
Never heard of G96? Must be only available in Canada?

I use CorrosionX. Light application, then wipe it off. Great alternative to WD-40…

Different grades for different applications!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.20.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.20.23 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.20.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.20.24 AM.png
    630.9 KB · Views: 30
I have tried most of the above. My favorites are Wipe Out, Patch Out with Accelerator, Slicker and MAXX for Lubes.

Nothing gets copper out better than Patch Out combined with Accelerator. Most of the bench rest competitors I shoot with are using it as well.

Spray your bolts and raceways with slicker and follow up with a thin coat of MAXX and you won't believe how slick your bolt glides.

Any suggestions regarding the woodwork? Have a brand new M70 in 458WM that i just bought and the stock is a dull oil finish. I would like something to put a bit of sheen to it and protect it at the same time. Looks like pretty nice grain pattern if i can find something to apply.
@Earle do you know what Winchester use? You will need to use a boiled linseed oil. The gunmakers here in the UK use a mix of boiled linseed oil and Alkanet, the Alkanet will bring out that lovely red colour that you see on London best guns. I used it when I restocked my BSA came up mint.
Heres a link that might help. https://www.greenfieldguns.com/product/trade-secret-stock-care-alkanet-oil-50ml/
After you have applied that then I use some wax. This stuff is good https://www.bushwear.co.uk/products/gunstock-wax-polish
use a lint free cloth and apply it about across the stock. Leave for 1/2 an hour then polish. Make sure that you keep it out of the checking. Otherwise it will clog it up. Best to take the barrel out.
I usually put a towel across my lap and do it while watching some mind numbing tv:eek:o_O:unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (know what your all thinking and your all sick:ROFLMAO: but to really get a bite out of your neighbors you can leave the curtains open;):notworthy:)
Heres my BSA.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0338.jpeg
    IMG_0338.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 7.43.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 7.43.17 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 7.43.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 7.43.27 AM.png
    681.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Never heard of G96? Must be only available in Canada?
@CoElkHunter
Mate back in te late 70 to mid 80s G96 had a big range of gun products and still makes them today. In the day they made excellent knives as well.
The knive were buck copies but made of better steel than any buck knives. They were made in Japan by a famous knife maker and special steel.
Screenshot_20230830-173537_Chrome.jpg

The knives were marked makers steel and were reputed to hold a razor edge better than any knife.
I have the one in the picture and can assure you it is sharp.
After skinning a deer with it I still cut my left eyeball just looking at it. Now that's sharp.
Bob

I have tried most of the above. My favorites are Wipe Out, Patch Out with Accelerator, Slicker and MAXX for Lubes.

Nothing gets copper out better than Patch Out combined with Accelerator. Most of the bench rest competitors I shoot with are using it as well.

Spray your bolts and raceways with slicker and follow up with a thin coat of MAXX and you won't believe how slick your bolt glides.
@Hififile324
If you reload with hogdon CFE223 copper removal becomes a thing of the past. Stand for Copper Fouling Eliminater and it works .
Bob

Just as you need the right gun for the right shot, I vary lubes/solvents for the application.

Light oil: Kroil
Heavy oil: Rotella
Grease: Lucas red/motorcraft knock off
General solvent: Ed’s Red
Copper solvent: Hoppe’s

I’ve been experimenting with Barnes copper solvent and I’ve turned a lot of patches blue but haven’t gotten as much copper out as I’d prefer.

Having a brass rod and the proper sized jag/patch combo is a must.

Balistol for wood and blueing

For lubrication I use 20W-50 Castrol synthetic motor oil.

Grease - Mystic high temp red

Solvent - Hoppe’s #9

Copper solvent - Montana extreme: Heed the sticker warning “Strong Vapors”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WayneBoone

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?