Favorite Lubricants 2023?

Breakfree CLP has not let me down in the 45 years that I have been using it.

I use it as a protectant and lubricate, not so much for cleaning.

If it needs lubricating I use engine oil, in my experience it works as good, or better than any gun oil.
For rust prevention I wipe down the outside with Rem oil cloths. I got severe for free about two years ago and I’m still using the first one.
For cleaning I use hoppes #9.
No need to overthink anything.
I use Shell Rotela in the 7.3.. :cool:

I forget the exact recipe, but I was talking with George Hoenig and he made his own lubricant for his rotary rifles - it was a mix of two automotive oils like Mobil1 and redline oil or something.

I use this, lubricant used in food processing machines.

1693093393198.png

I started using grease this past year, I'm in Northern MN, range in my backyard, I shoot whether it's 30 below, or 90. 3 rounds through the 500 S&W testing some 500 and 600gr hardcasts today.

Breakthrough Battle Born gun grease, works from -75 to 500 + degrees.

Run it in my P320s, both have twin port comps on them, my 3.25" 2011, everything, and it has just been great, short barrel 2011s/1911s can be temperamental, 9mms with twin port comps can be temperamental, no issues. Great enough I bought the big 1lb tub, still have 75% of my 4oz jar though, doesn't take much.

Immediately became incredibly impressed with greases, you need to run grease with a proper temp range for sure, but I've fallen in love with this stuff, makes the actions feel smoother... just 100% happy.

Oh, and I use my tools as tools, I'm not a shoot and go clean type of guy, they get covered in sawdust because I carry while I run my chainsaws, they get covered in snow, rain, dirt while I'm planting and tilling, etc... I don't care and I still need them to run.

I have high dollar oils, used them for the vast majority of my life, not anymore.

I use this, lubricant used in food processing machines.

View attachment 553519
WD40 can be used on food processing machines, but it will freeze in extreme temps. My hunting buddy froze up his action on his Browning BLR .30-06 when we we're hunting in 10F after lubricating the action using WD40.

I use Kroil to loosen anything that's stuck and it works great.

Barrel, action, lockwork & etc cleaning is usually Hoppe's 9 followed by a very light coat of RemOil or some type of CLP. I will use compressed air to blow out any excess to prevent over lubricating...very important, especially in semi-autos.

For field cleaning I use Clenzoil and a bore snake. Small can of compressed air. RemWipes for the outside if I have them, if not Clenzoil works just fine.

Completely agree with @rookhawk about the microfiber cloths. Don't be afraid to throw them out.

Last edited:
You don’t prefer “the black stuff”? :D
That would be this one ? But I’m aware that you’re referring to Arthur’s finest product. Never say no to a good Guinness.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
For firearms, I have been using Ballistol since 1975.

Any suggestions regarding the woodwork? Have a brand new M70 in 458WM that i just bought and the stock is a dull oil finish. I would like something to put a bit of sheen to it and protect it at the same time. Looks like pretty nice grain pattern if i can find something to apply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabe

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg