Fast / First Responders

Hey Guys,

I certainly forgot that there would always be some problems working with affairs and guns... So either than that I know if you have the right outfitter it can be done with no problems at all. Sometimes it could mean a HUGE trophy for you. I got a call this week that a +- 80pound elephant has been seen in a concession area in South Eastern Zimbabwe. If a client could be here in a few days and do not worry about the fees of the hunt he could have shot a BiG elephant.... Also I just had a couple of Australian folks who booked a hunt a week ago and they will be here from the 2nd of July. So it can definitely work for people that would like to do it this way.

SW I am like you and if I want to do something I cannot stand to wait even a month! lol If you need any help in planning the trip don't hesitate to contact me at anytime!

Hope everybody has a fantastic weekend!

I booked a cancellation hunt in RSA this year in mid March and hunted in May so I had two months to prepare. It couldn't have worked out better. I got a good price on the day fees, ended up with reasonable airfare, and had a great time. I'd do it that way again. I should add that I used the ph's spare gun but will not be doing that again unless absolutely necessary.

Not to rain on your parade, because I love your enthusiasm, energy and attitude towards life. Just make sure you have a good taxidermist and shipping agent....and that PH is going to fill out the permits for your hunt....otherwise you will be caught in legal limbo land. Having your outfitter be a member of PHASA or some other professional organization, helps. Check references very carefully. The worst thing you want to happen...if you go hunting, get great pictures and the animals never make it home. There are other problems too....on leopard hunts and other dangerous game hunts. Plains game hunts are a lot easier to plan for in the short term.

Second Wind,

If all the stars align a short notice booking can offer an excellent opportunity. I think what some people don't realize is that if they pick up a cancellation hunt for instance they are buying the hunt and dates that worked for the client that cancelled. They are not buying necessarily the best hunt and dates for themselves. If you have the flexibility to come and go as you see fit from your job than you also can do the research and book the best hunt at the best times of year for the species you want. I think this is the best plan and you could also be ready to take advantage of a really good deal if it came along. You are in an enviable position that few people find themselves in.

Mark

Mark

well stated...

I have stayed out of this one...And like you have said taking over another safari might not be the one you wanted in the first place...

Second Wind,

If all the stars align a short notice booking can offer an excellent opportunity. I think what some people don't realize is that if they pick up a cancellation hunt for instance they are buying the hunt and dates that worked for the client that cancelled. They are not buying necessarily the best hunt and dates for themselves. If you have the flexibility to come and go as you see fit from your job than you also can do the research and book the best hunt at the best times of year for the species you want. I think this is the best plan and you could also be ready to take advantage of a really good deal if it came along. You are in an enviable position that few people find themselves in.

Mark

Second Wind,

You should be looking for hunts right now. There is a hunt special out there for a 7 day buff hunt in Zim for $6,500. As you know, there are several Moz specials right now as well. Now is a good time to be a guy with some loose change in his pocket.

Brickburn,

Do we need an export permit for our rifles? I'm in SW Ontario and didn't know that. What's involved in getting that? I'm thinking Namibia next year?

thanks,

Neil

Thanks Jerome. I wonder what other regulations I don't know about. :(

Neil

Yes, the short answer.
I sent a post earlier but for some reason it did not come through.

I figured Jerome would dump the link on you quickly. Thx

The Canadian government requires an export permit for all firearms, scopes and ammunition except when you are going to the United States (then the USa requires a 6NIA form to be completed for temporary import)

Also, make sure that you have you transit permits in place.

Some additional points to consider. Some outfitters are booked out in advance and if it is high season in sth Africa you may not be able to book a flight on a short notice.

there are some great last minute hunts offered on this forum regularly. to avoid the paperwork hassle, rent a gun, book your flights and ENJOY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross