Ever drop big bucks on a rifle and just not bond with it?

Interesting... good thread and read! Could have been the core of an Eric Burdon and The Animals song :)

The most money I ever dropped on a firearm, or rather several, was for slightly different reasons- not for hunting or dedicated shooting, both functions IMO can be described as simple tools. Dropping big bucks for me has meant for investment. For hunting or shooting tools, I start thinking I'm dropping big bucks anything over the $2000- $3000 range. While I do bond with certain firearms I've learned that bonding and investing are best kept separate. Firearm investing for me has been purely mercenary and has run far in excess of any $2000-$3000 tool.

My fine art and folk art which have stand alone intrinsic value are hanging here and there on the walls or in a couple of display cabinets around the house- none are firearms. If anything, with firearms, I can marvel, wonder and appreciate the original engineering that went into their design and how that translates into useful function. Some old ones I wonder at the history of their use. The most attractive engineering to me is minimalist in nature, some call it elegant engineering. And actually that might (or should) translate into less expensive if lucky- all things equal. :)

Last edited:
For me it is a question of form and function. A highly accurate, synthetically stocked rifle will never be more than a tool. Perhaps an indispensable tool, but a tool nonetheless. On the other hand, a beautiful piece of walnut does not make up for poor performance. I am blessed with a number of fine rifles that shoot exceptionally well.

One rifle that I thought would be special was a Remington 722 in .300 H&H. I shot a couple of elk with it but could never get it to shoot better than 1.5 moa. It is long gone.

This thread is gonna make a few gunsmiths worry since a lot seem to like the out of the box factory rifles more. I spent some on a rifle for sentimental reasons. After getting the rifle realized it wasn't I wasn't going to or can't use is and sold it.

I've been further contemplating this question. I'm not sure if I'll regret it yet or not, but I recently purchased a 1976 era 416 Rigby Big Game (London Gun) for what I considered a very fair price until I got it home and went through it with a fine tooth comb so to speak. Bolt face damage, filthy, oil soaked stock in places and over all just mediocre fit and finish....the lines on the express sights were even crooked for crying out lout, but the bore is excellent and it comes up like a dream. Looks like whoever did the work was drunk. It's on a magnum mauser action which make it more desirable. I verified it was in fact an original Rigby, hence the dating. I sent it off to Rigby in TX as I know a contact there and I'm sure after they review what needs to be done for a complete mechanical and aesthetic refurb or refinish--(pick your term), including a restock to my wrist and lop dimensions, I could be consumed with regret. It may cost me a fortune. I couldn't wait to get it packaged up and sent off for the process to start as I couldn't look at it anymore.

So I guess we call this the dating period. LOL. If Rigby gets back to me and wants to charge me enough that the total will surpass a new base model....it will be a real bummer. But if it stays under that price and it comes back to me a well done and rightly done restoration that can be taken afield with pride and used, a win.

I guess the jest of it is we all have different tastes, and are willing to take a leap at times with something that seems really cool,....trick is to realize if it doesn't work out, Your still having fun with your tool chest.

Big bucks is a subjective term. . . I dropped a couple grand once and bought a very custom 7mm stw from a guy in Texas. It showed up and the fancy walnut stock was broken. Seller blamed ups and we worked out an agreeable settlement deal. I bought dies and powders (it loves Norma mrp, impossible to find locally-special order) and bullets for that gun. Bought an expensive Swarovski, base and rings. I had a new custom stock made and then the trigger failed. Replaced that, started having brass issues. Replaced all the brass. Got it to shoot a couple loads really well. Missed a nice Wyoming buck with it that fall. . .
In the spring my gunsmith showed me the throat erosion. Told me it was time to replace the existing custom Douglas barrel-extra long and specific twist.
I bought a new factory nosler 28 instead and it already does everything the stw did and beats it by a fair margin. Had to buy the reloading components again but I just moved the Swarovski from the stw to the 28. Still not sure what to do with the stw sitting in the safe. . .

Nope!!!
Never spent a lot of $$ on a gun. Looks always secondary to function!!
Example? This plain 1886 45-90 TD bought like new for around a grand.
It is a shooter and a killer from Texas to Africa. Friends have sent they lever guns to Turnbull to turn them into collectors items. I buy mine to hunt. Plain with top level functionality. Not for sale as it goes to my grandson.
52608_600x400.jpg

Only exceptions are my Parkers, which have appreciated beyond all expectations AND also stay in the family.
53029_600x400.jpg

If you buy/sell/trade enough guns you'll end up regretting a few and you won't bond with some you thought you'd love. Been there, done that. More times than I want to admit.

I have done exactly what you are talking about. when gunwerks came out with the blastr. a buddy o mine talked me into ordering one and it is so cool with a 12" barrel and suppressor. its a pistol with folding brace. on the bench no problem shoots like a champ. at the ranch i cant hit anything with this quirky little folding stock nothing feels right. maybe need to form 1 it and make a SBR drop it in a good stock and see what happens? definitely a high dollar gun but i aint feelin the love!

One rifle that I thought would be special was a Remington 722 in .300 H&H. I shot a couple of elk with it but could never get it to shoot better than 1.5 moa.
Yes, it's a real problem getting that long H&H cartridge in that short action.:);)

That is magnificent. I have made some negative comments about Blaser R8's on the forum, without real reason. I regret that and apologise to all the Blaser owners, it was unfounded. These rifles are not only clever, but cool, and dress up superbly.

Jeez Kevin you feeling OK?....you can put great dressing on but doesn't change it....what's the saying...mutton dressed as lamb... ;) :E Big Grin:

That is magnificent. I have made some negative comments about Blaser R8's on the forum, without real reason. I regret that and apologise to all the Blaser owners, it was unfounded. These rifles are not only clever, but cool, and dress up superbly.
Thank you. I did have several very nice bolt guns. First handled the R8 at an SCI convention in Las Vegas several years ago. A short time later I found a smoking hot deal on this R8 in 30-06.
After a short time I had 3 additional barrels and sold all my other bolt guns.
All 4 barrels are sub-moa shooters (9.3×62, 30-06, 308 and 6.5x55).

It seems there is very little middle ground regarding Blazer rifles/shotguns. Other than they are a bolt action rifle or an over/under combination gun, I have nothing against them, however, let me know when they have a side by side model in either a shotgun or rifle and I will pay a little more attention to them.

Yep. A lot of them over the last couple years. Pre 64 Winchester model 70 300 HH. Shot it it was ok. Never bonded. Let it go. Can’t really name them all. Have one right now. It shoots great but we haven’t connected yet. Will probably put it on AH in a week or so. CZ 550. 300 win mag. Thought I needed it. But we ain’t clicking togather.

Me too. I paid $175 for a Federal Interarms (FI) .380 semi auto pistol back in the '90s. It wouldn't feed hollow points reliably even after I had a gunsmith polish the feed ramp. I ended up having to sell it for $125.

I am so stubborn I just could not admit since last year what I am admitting now. I dropped $5k on a custom bolt .375H&H and I just think it is OK. I bought a 550 in same caliber as a back-up, and I like it just as much if not better.

I am not one to waste money so it just makes me sick. I ordered a set of CZ 34mm rings yesterday to move the Zeiss over and confirm if I really do like it better. The CZ has only worn a left over 1-4 VXR Patrol so far and it would get the job done just fine even with that glass. I hope to have rings this week and shoot the 550 with the Zeiss 1-8 next weekend.

Sick I tell ya! I do not know why it is such an emotional thing other than waiting 6 months for a rifle build and spending more on it than any rifle I have ever owned. I should be able to just say "win some lose some" but it sure is hard.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
I have to be in love with the firearm before I buy it. I usually start researching 3 to 6 months before I buy.

I’ve never dropped big bucks ON any rifle. But I’ve dropped some big bucks WITH some non-expensive rifles! Haha. Sorry, couldn’t help myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NormanFaws

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.