Ever drop big bucks on a rifle and just not bond with it?

NDWoods

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
USA, South Africa
I am so stubborn I just could not admit since last year what I am admitting now. I dropped $5k on a custom bolt .375H&H and I just think it is OK. I bought a 550 in same caliber as a back-up, and I like it just as much if not better.

I am not one to waste money so it just makes me sick. I ordered a set of CZ 34mm rings yesterday to move the Zeiss over and confirm if I really do like it better. The CZ has only worn a left over 1-4 VXR Patrol so far and it would get the job done just fine even with that glass. I hope to have rings this week and shoot the 550 with the Zeiss 1-8 next weekend.

Sick I tell ya! I do not know why it is such an emotional thing other than waiting 6 months for a rifle build and spending more on it than any rifle I have ever owned. I should be able to just say "win some lose some" but it sure is hard.

Anyone else had this happen to them?

Had a similar experience except we got divorced, I decided I liked my rifles much more after that.

Hahahahaha!!!

Been there. I call the rifle "Rodney". Took almost a year. I was at the shop once a month, to ensure things were going right and on track. Still several setbacks. Once in hand I went Ehhh...

I put 70% of the blame on the Smith. His heart wasn't in it, and should have not taken the job. I also place blame on me and the caliber. Poor decision/platform.

It sits in the cabinet, and has a place of pride, but also sadness. It functions flawless, shoots sub-moa, but is not exciting.

So yeah, it's "Rodney"!

Yes sir has happened to me on several occasions. Ones I have had made and ones I have bought. Sold them all and have their replacements. I'm confident when behind the replacements. The great part is all those rifles I sold went to people who really enjoyed them.

It hurts more keep something around that never gets used than taking a little loss and replacing it with something that you enjoy.

Sorry for you, it’s a tough lesson to learn. Happened once to me and I vowed to never use anybody that is a one man operation, yes there are a few people that can do it all and do a fine job. But not in 6 months in my opinion. The really good ones are backed up for years and if you want fine craftsmanship that is the cost along with the financial outlay. I know it’s a hard thing to go through. I stick with well known names and reputations and just bite the bullet so to speak. And yes firearms are very personal items that we have a emotional attachment to so I would feel the same way you do. All we can do is move on, it’s hard though.

JP

LOL… thanks for sharing. This is great, well not for you, and I’m sorry for that….but now I know I’m not alone or crazy.

I’m that way with many things, rifles, knives, etc. I have a rifle right now that I’m not loving because of the color of the wood and the finish on the stock. I’m going to refinish it and see if that completes the bonding process. I made a custom knife for myself the other day and when I got done with it my reaction was the same… ehhh, it’s okay.

Is there anything in particular you don’t like about it or is it the whole package?

AT the end of the day we are all just custodians of these pieces of wood and steel for a time, then someone else and so on. Find the right person for it and they will perhaps give it a lifetime of use. I've had to cut my losses more than a time or two just to move on.

I do think there are certain items I definitely develop an immediate bond to. I travel quite a bit for work and while away I truly miss fiddling with my Highland Stalker and driving my Land Rover Defender. When I get back home I immediately look over the Land Rover in the driveway, high-five the kids, then walk up to my office to check on the rifle. When not away I would guess I pull the rifle out of the case five times a day and admire it. I spent some money on AHR builds and they are ok but I definitely do not pull them out as much. I have sold off most all my firearms except for a few (one rifle per kid, a bad weather rifle, Highland Stalker, AHR 375 H&H, shotgun, AR platform, one pistol) because they truly do not bring joy or are redundant. I definitely think much fewer firearms but ones I am attached to is my way to go.

The best way to bond with a rifle is to drop a big buck with the rifle, not on the rifle...

I dreamed of a Parker gun for years. I finally got one that checked all my boxes...I never bonded with the gun and eventually sold it. It's the only gun that I have sold that I never regretting selling...go figure.

I purchased an MRC 404 Jeffery. Had the matte finish removed, receiver and barrel blued, NECG installed. Total investment was north of $4500 but I absolutely hated the rifle when compared to my Ruger RSM. Sold the 404 here on AH. Lesson learned.

Almost.
I ordered up a custom stock for my left-handed M77 in 375 Ruger from a maker who promised it done in three months. Perfect, exactly what I wanted and it should have arrived before the summer here in Alaska to give me plenty of time in warm weather to work up a load, sight in and get comfortable with the rifle. That arrival date was also a year and a couple months from my first trip to Namibia. Nine month later I got an email with pictures of a very wrong rifle stock. Wrong laminate wood and wrong handed (right handed) cheekpiece. I tell him he botched the job. He says I owe him for the work and he can just sand the cheekpice off, they aren't really needed. I reply that I'd only pay for the custom work I ordered. If I paid him for the wrong work I'd be reminded of that every time I used it and I would have hated it. It took a couple more weeks to get my barreled action back. When I did I put it in a left handed laminate stock i found while waiting. It's not quite the color I'd have prefered but I knew what I was getting and it is the stock I needed. It has worked out great for a giraffe, buffalo and a handful of other species.

Last edited:
While I haven't spent big bucks on a rifle and ended up not liking it I have purchased a rifle on a impulse and then ended up wondering just why I bought it.

It was a sporterized Japanese M99 Arisaka that had been rechamberred in 257 Roberts. At the time I had been looking for a 257 Roberts for quite a while and jumped on the first one that I saw. I have only shot around 10 rounds through this rifle and just never really bonded with it

I am commitment phobic and have a real problem. I want to play the field and I fall out of love quickly. I recently bought a Blaser R8 in 6.5 CM, 300 WM, and 375 H&H. Put Swarovski scopes on them all. We have been dating but no magic yet.

I don't seem to be able to commit to the Blaser R8. I bought them new cases and still nothing. Maybe if I get a Grade 7+ wood for my R8 then I will love them or maybe we will just get divorced.

More than once, however they have moved on to guys and gals that they are their favorite rifles. So take the lesson and find a home where it is their favorite and move on to getting your favorite exactly how you like it.

I am commitment phobic and have a real problem. I want to play the field and I fall out of love quickly. I recently bought a Blaser R8 in 6.5 CM, 300 WM, and 375 H&H. Put Swarovski scopes on them all. We have been dating but no magic yet.

I don't seem to be able to commit to the Blaser R8. I bought them new cases and still nothing. Maybe if I get a Grade 7+ wood for my R8 then I will love them or maybe we will just get divorced.
Get some grade 9 wood. You might fall in love....
20211206_155541.jpg
20200727_132513.jpg

Sometimes, no how pretty a woman or gun is, it's time to just move on...

I have experienced the same feeling with a custom knife I gave instructions for but what I got was utterly wrong - wrong size, wrong shape, wrong wood. So I just gave it away there and then and hope never to see it again. Next up was my new car, a little Suzuki Jimny. I insisted on the colour and spec and they eventually found one. Come delivery it was covered in a sheet and ribbon etc and as the salesman removed that my heart sank - he had done me a huge 'favour' and fitted anti smash and grab film for free - almost black like a gangster special. I just gave him back the key. Apparently they can take it off, which will happen next week. But the feeling is there now, the wow moment was spoilt by an idiot not asking a simple question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillianPet

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.