Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
I lived in different muslim countries during about 16 years, no problems whatsoever if you respect their culture, as anywhere in the world.

Flew with Qatar, and they do serve alcohol.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Per the article from 3 years ago, the booze obviously wasnt the problem, it was attitude. They served it to her after all.
If I got on a plane and they said no alcohol I would be dancing in the aisles!

Gemsbok45

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I just want to get to Africa as fast as possible.I’m not worried about the accoutrements. I would only add one thing than let’s end this.Everyone who travels to Africa deals with the corruption errr politics we are there for the experience. I hope everyone that wants to go can.Nuff said!

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
Even more since I don't drink, I can't understand why people need to drink on an airplane. Can't you control your urges until you arrive at your destination or if you are a hunter until you get into camp??

It shows a huge lack of discipline and self-control

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Even more since I don't drink, I can't understand why people need to drink on an airplane. Can't you control your urges until you arrive at your destination or if you are a hunter until you get into camp??

100%

I can't understand heavy drinking at camp at all either. We had one night of heavy celebrations in 15 days, the rest of the time I was averaging less than a beer a day. I need all my faculties, all my health, and all my healing each night.

I was embarrassed to learn from my PH that he and his business partners cannot have spouses at camp whatsoever (they are biz partners) because drunk clients start acting inappropriately with the ladies.

What is this, some infantile college party, or a hunting camp?

MarkB

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NFA, SCI, DU, CCFR, BCWF, African Gazete
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
100%

I can't understand heavy drinking at camp at all either. We had one night of heavy celebrations in 15 days, the rest of the time I was averaging less than a beer a day. I need all my faculties, all my health, and all my healing each night.

I was embarrassed to learn from my PH that he and his business partners cannot have spouses at camp whatsoever (they are biz partners) because drunk clients start acting inappropriately with the ladies.

What is this, some infantile college party, or a hunting camp?
I'm with you. I also cannot understand the allure of over drinking, on a plane, in camp or anywhere. Being Navy for 34 years I have seen many, many alcoholics. From all the people I have seen getting in trouble probably 90%+ alcohol was involved. I do have a single casual drink but that's it. Honestly don't like the feeling of under the influence, especially next morning.

On a Safari in Namibia I got wise real quick when after the first couple of days and our PH saying, lets go back to lodge, no game moves in the heat of day. Then he and "visitors" closed up at bar at noon and falling over drunk by 3-4, then again as soon as back at 7 pm till midnight, this happened first 3 days of an 18 day leopard/PG safari. I spoke to him daily stating NO camp at lunch, picnic under a tree or in blind. Routine continued for another day, after heated discussion it became clear his alcohol was more important than clients, so we had/took a tracker and the truck, spent 11-4 daily with NO PH, shoot list and out and about. Cannot believe my sisters were driving me around as we hunted PH less for 5 days, then on the mnt zebra hunt he got dehydrated and spent 2 days on IV, after that an assistant PH came in. Unbelievable, but sisters and I had a blast.

So now all future safari questions include, does the PH drink, if yes HOW much daily.

MB

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
Not to belabour a dead horse, but I’m sitting in the Doha airport as I type this. Ramadan is starting soon, so the alcohol is behind curtains, but it’s there if you want it. The wine and cocktail list on the flight over (Qatar) was a small booklet, all of quality stuff.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, this airport is so clean you could eat off the floors, the bathrooms are spotless and don’t smell at all, the shower facilities were (I’m embarrassed to say) cleaner than my own at home, there are staff people everywhere dressed in suits to provide any assistance you might need, everyone is polite, and I’ve not seen one firearm on anyone since I arrived.

So nothing like Atlanta, I admit.

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
A hunter who I went over with on my first trip to South Africa would order 3 beers and slam them right after he got them. He would then sleep peacefully for most of the trip. Some take ambium and others will take another drug to put them at ease or allow them to sleep on a plane. This person just decided that beer was his choice of drug.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)

Seriously? Discipline and self-control? You are somehow worked up (do we say triggered these days?) because I enjoy a wine with an edible meal in business class? I'll let you in on a little secret, if its an Emirates or Qatar flight I'll have a vintage port following dinner as well. I'll sleep well after that meal and the port, and because I am particularly fond of a good red wine, I'll likely even outlive you.

However, if you want to sit at 35 thousand feet abstaining in virtuous non-indulgence over your bottle of water, please feel free to do so. I won't complain, because, if for no other reason, it is none of my business.

I'm with you. I also cannot understand the allure of over drinking, on a plane, in camp or anywhere. Being Navy for 34 years I have seen many, many alcoholics. From all the people I have seen getting in trouble probably 90%+ alcohol was involved. I do have a single casual drink but that's it. Honestly don't like the feeling of under the influence, especially next morning.

On a Safari in Namibia I got wise real quick when after the first couple of days and our PH saying, lets go back to lodge, no game moves in the heat of day. Then he and "visitors" closed up at bar at noon and falling over drunk by 3-4, then again as soon as back at 7 pm till midnight, this happened first 3 days of an 18 day leopard/PG safari. I spoke to him daily stating NO camp at lunch, picnic under a tree or in blind. Routine continued for another day, after heated discussion it became clear his alcohol was more important than clients, so we had/took a tracker and the truck, spent 11-4 daily with NO PH, shoot list and out and about. Cannot believe my sisters were driving me around as we hunted PH less for 5 days, then on the mnt zebra hunt he got dehydrated and spent 2 days on IV, after that an assistant PH came in. Unbelievable, but sisters and I had a blast.

So now all future safari questions include, does the PH drink, if yes HOW much daily.

MB
I have never yet had that experience. That is not to say that it doesn't happen, but I have never been around a PH (or guide) who drank during the day - in the field or at camp - and never one who regularly over indulged in the evening. I know it can be a hazard of the profession, but the ones I have associated with were professional in every way.

I have been in a camps with a drunk client (here and abroad). It is indeed unpleasant. Insuring that I am not likely to be is where I expend much of my energy in planning. It is one reason I do not frequent the large "lodge" operations which cater to bigger or multiple groups.

Last edited:

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
Seriously? Discipline and self-control? You are somehow worked up (do we say triggered these days?) because I enjoy a wine with an edible meal in business class? I'll let you in on a little secret, if its an Emirates or Qatar flight I'll have a vintage port following dinner as well. I'll sleep well after that meal and the port, and because I am particularly fond of a good red wine, I'll likely even outlive you.

However, if you want to sit at 35 thousand feet abstaining in virtuous non-indulgence over your bottle of water, please feel free to do so. I won't complain, because, if for no other reason, it is none of my business.

I have never yet had that experience. That is not to say that it doesn't happen, but I have never been around a PH (or guide) who drank during the day - in the field or at camp - and never one who regularly over indulged in the evening. I know it can be a hazard of the profession, but the ones I have associated with were professional in every way.

I have been in a camps with a drunk client (here and abroad). It is indeed unpleasant. Insuring that I am not likely to be is where I expend much of my energy in planning. It is one reason I do not frequent the large "lodge" operations which cater to bigger or multiple groups.

Careful or I might get you a case of whisky ...:E Rofl:mmmm as for some nice vintage port can only dream.of that here......:(

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
In my 4 flights with them, I drank plenty of alcohol, no issues.

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe

Hmmm, Red Leg, it seems as though YOU are the "triggered" one here my friend....sorry that I triggered you.

I didn't think that what I said would offend anyone and I certainly do not feel morally superior to anyone because I do not drink.
You stated, "I will most likely outlive you." Pretty ignorant statement since you don't know me but I do wish you luck with your longevity.

FWIW: I didn't think that it was necessary to say it because it should seem pretty obvious to anyone reading it BUT my comment wasn't aimed at someone like you who has a glass or 2 of wine on a 17hr flight.....I had in mind the drunk, red-eyed, booze on his breath, loud and obnoxious "Ugly American" dressed in safari gear who makes us all look bad. Imagine the impression that they make on people from conservative airlines/countries like Emirates and even Ethiopian. I had a few on my last flight on Ethiopian to Zimbabwe and they were total assholes.

I feel the same way about alcohol in camp. If my PH drank during the day I wouldn't hunt with him again but a few around the campfire at night is fine by me.

Sorry if I offended any heavy drinkers or alcoholics here, since they seem to be very touchy when the subject comes up

Chukar

Gold supporter
Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC
Hunted
USA, Namibia
So, some three years later I regret posting this....

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
Hmmm, Red Leg, it seems as though YOU are the "triggered" one here my friend....sorry that I triggered you.

I didn't think that what I said would offend anyone and I certainly do not feel morally superior to anyone because I do not drink.
You stated, "I will most likely outlive you." Pretty ignorant statement since you don't know me but I do wish you luck with your longevity.

FWIW: I didn't think that it was necessary to say it because it should seem pretty obvious to anyone reading it BUT my comment wasn't aimed at someone like you who has a glass or 2 of wine on a 17hr flight.....I had in mind the drunk, red-eyed, booze on his breath, loud and obnoxious "Ugly American" dressed in safari gear who makes us all look bad. Imagine the impression that they make on people from conservative airlines/countries like Emirates and even Ethiopian. I had a few on my last flight on Ethiopian to Zimbabwe and they were total assholes.

I feel the same way about alcohol in camp. If my PH drank during the day I wouldn't hunt with him again but a few around the campfire at night is fine by me.

Sorry if I offended any heavy drinkers or alcoholics here, since they seem to be very touchy when the subject comes up

I am a a recovering alcoholic. 24 years sober. No offense taken at all.

I was that large, loud, drunk. Happy and fun, so I thought, but a drunk none the less. I missed so many great trips. By that I mean the experience. I have been on many trips over the past 24 years where I have seen drunks in action and realized that is what I used to behave like. Quite embarrassing really.

I think everyone on this thread is on the same page more or less. There are times for that blow out evening in camp, and I frankly have no problem whatsoever being around that. I do not have problems with folks socially drinking, wherever, or on a flight. I can be around that. That is their choice and freedom. However, when the town drunk starts talking loudly, cursing loudly and MF’ing every other word, disrespecting others, acting the fool as the world revolves around them, I will take the opportunity to say something. It usually works because it is hard to argue(OK, yes they will argue) with someone who has been there and done that, and I can tell them what they are thinking before they can say it.

I do not regret being an alcoholic. I am one of the fortunate ones. I have been blessed to save countless lives, and if by admitting it here, someone should start to look at their own life, then that is an answer to all my prayers.

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe

I am a a recovering alcoholic. 24 years sober. No offense taken at all.

I was that large, loud, drunk. Happy and fun, so I thought, but a drunk none the less. I missed so many great trips. By that I mean the experience. I have been on many trips over the past 24 years where I have seen drunks in action and realized that is what I used to behave like. Quite embarrassing really.

I think everyone on this thread is on the same page more or less. There are times for that blow out evening in camp, and I frankly have no problem whatsoever being around that. I do not have problems with folks socially drinking, wherever, or on a flight. I can be around that. That is their choice and freedom. However, when the town drunk starts talking loudly, cursing loudly and MF’ing every other word, disrespecting others, acting the fool as the world revolves around them, I will take the opportunity to say something. It usually works because it is hard to argue(OK, yes they will argue) with someone who has been there and done that, and I can tell them what they are thinking before they can say it.

I do not regret being an alcoholic. I am one of the fortunate ones. I have been blessed to save countless lives, and if by admitting it here, someone should start to look at their own life, then that is an answer to all my prayers.
+1 and God Bless you brother for overcoming your addiction and for helping others with theirs!

You have allot of class to say what you just said and I respect you incredibly.

PS I’m glad that you understand what I meant by my post

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)

I have no idea what you meant. I only know what you wrote. Read it again. I find no selective targeting in your condemnation of those who can’t exercise self control - and you obviously can. So how else should that have been read? Perhaps you should have written the following post first.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I still think my post about not acting like a jackass is the most succinct, polite and valid response to all of this........someone has to pat me on the back, might as well be me.... :)

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I still think my post about not acting like a jackass is the most succinct, polite and valid response to all of this........someone has to pat me on the back, might as well be me.... :)

You are a hero Phil!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LindsayDix

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?