Emirates and alcohol

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Chukar, Aug 10, 2018.

1. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    I'm not judging your opinion. Your concerns are with some merit. I was appealing for consistency. I've met remarkable, ethical people in every culture. Highest on my list of moral "good Christian ethics" of the people I've met have been Persian Muslims. They've been an educated society for 4000+ years while our kin were ignorant barbarians. Just one example of a profoundly moral group of people I've had the privilege to know in my lifetime. I've hunted many times with such people and found them to be great friends and sportsmen. I've had similarly favorable opinions of turks, kurds, Azerbaijanis, turkem, tajiks, alawites, copts, and the like.

Not withstanding all opinions on these matters: As a safari traveller with guns I found the service, respect, and tolerance in the UAE to be 5-stars. Much better than the professionalism, respect, and care given at the US airports when travelling with firearms. For that alone, I'm grateful.

2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Whatever the case this thread has gone off the tracks a bit. The thread started with a concern of flying Emirates and through Dubai in so doing. The concern was raised due to a "news" story. The story has an element of fact in that the woman in the story was detained. This much seems to be certain.

What is certain in my mind is that anything having to do with being arrested for alcohol consumption is completely false. You have those here in this thread who have been there and done that. If the woman's detention had ANYTHING to do with alcohol, it was that she was drunk and acted in such manner to prove it. I.e. she acted like a jackass. Act like a jackass, you may just get treated as one.

If you don't want to fly Emirates because you hate all Muslims and the countries they come from, so be it. While I disagree with your opinion on that issue, I'm not going to bother trying to change it.

But if you don't fly Emirates as a result of this "story", you're being swayed by what I consider nothing less than propaganda.........a nice word for bullshit. Personally I abhor those who try to sway me to their side using lies, regardless of their political position, for or against my own.

Erny, sierraone and Buff-Buster like this.

3. Countrylife

Countrylife AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, New Zealand, Namibia
    That was my plan too. However, to get from point A to point B, I had to transit one of the Muslim Countries (Qatar). It turned out to be quite interesting and changed my opinion of the country when I had a couple hours to talk to one of the local Arabs - not sure this would apply to the UAE, but I suspect it would. I found out that not everything I'd been told about them was correct. The individuals I met and had interactions with were quite pleasant people - a bit different attitudes, but more tolerant of other views than I was led to believe.

I took a picture while I was there - it should have been a 10 second video. I showed it to my church when I got back and explained the circumstances around the picture - they were just as shocked as I was. In other words, if you've not been there, don't believe everything the news media and other propaganda outlets want you to believe.

In spite of my original plan to never transit a Muslim country, I've changed my mind and have decided that's they way I'll go in the future.

sierraone likes this.

4. Brent in Az

Brent in Az SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
    An Emirates flight was just quarantined in New York, after a bunch of passengers fell ill. A few were transported to the hospital.

Conspiracy's are brewing.

5. Johnny reb

Johnny reb AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA- buckmasters
    I do not have near the amount of time in the Middle East as some on here. I had some thoughts going in to the area after 2001. I was actually scared shitless and Ramadan was coming up. I was scared I would do something to disrespect someone or worse yet get caught up in some terrorist activity. But guess what after a couple days I actually felt rather comfortable. I minded my business and actually began to feel pretty damn safe in a country I really new shit about. That continued in several middle eastern countries some of the places I had to pay a little more attention to certain aspects of life. But in all honesty I felt safer in those places than my redneck ass did in Atlanta ,lots Angeles or several other cities in the us.

6. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    I've been through qatar a couple times, i didn't drink while i was there nor did i fly with Emirates (used qatar).

Mt wife and i tried to respect their customs so no drinking, no public displays of affection etc. And had no worries at all.

My concern was having my binos in my backpack, had fears of being pulled aside and interrogated for being a spy which turned out to be as you would expect unfounded.

7. Waldo2382

Waldo2382 AH Member

The quarantine was probably because of a hiccup in the chem-trail machinery :D

8. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    I read this entire thread. Proving I have no life. Now, I must get back to reading about African Hunting..............FWB

Hogpatrol and sierraone like this.

9. Brent in Az

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Maybe they spilled too much Fluoride into the cabin.

10. Brent in Az

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    CDC says the Emirates flight was a giant petri dish of Flu virus. Originating in Saudi Arabia.