Electronics on Safari...what do you take or not take?

Cell phone with an international SIM card and a battery pack. BTDT with cameras, laptops, sat phones, two phones, etc. Conclusion was too much stuff, trips now are minimalist.

I take my cell phone and a good camera. I send an e-mail home to let my family know I arrived, and disconnect it after that, and only use it for the alarm.

I sometimes carry a camera with large telephoto lens. I prefer my 150mm x 400mm compact zoom lens. If not carrying a large telephoto then just use your smart phone.

I don't bother with the phone sim card or computer. Enjoy being outdoors and sleep on the flight!

I sometimes take a rangefinder when hunting in the mountains or open terrain.

I pack very simply, very few clothes, not many electronics, and only the necessities. I can pack all my needs in a small carry on and a rifle case.

Most first time african hunters take way to many cloths and stuff. Two sets of hunting clothes is enough on most hunts. They will usually wash daily, check with the PH.

We take our phones for communication via WhatsApp back to family for emergency purposes. Wife has a camera setup that will go along as she enjoys photography.

I take my cell phone and a good camera. I send an e-mail home to let my family know I arrived, and disconnect it after that, and only use it for the alarm.
I forgot about that. We do use our cell phones for an alarm.

Still debating on taking a small laptop for movies on the plane and a journal. It just seems like “one more thing” that I have to be concerned about. Keeping the battery changed, what if it gets damaged, holy crap where is my laptop?!?!

Probably just stick with a cell phone each and a hand written journal/scribble pad. Less is more. Sending an email to let everyone know we have arrived or are departing can be done from a cell phone anyway. Keep it high speed and low drag.

I forgot about that. We do use our cell phones for an alarm.

Still debating on taking a small laptop for movies on the plane and a journal. It just seems like “one more thing” that I have to be concerned about. Keeping the battery changed, what if it gets damaged, holy crap where is my laptop?!?!

Probably just stick with a cell phone each and a hand written journal/scribble pad. Less is more. Sending an email to let everyone know we have arrived or are departing can be done from a cell phone anyway. Keep it high speed and low drag.

Dont the planes you fly on have movies...series....multiple channels of all sorts?.....or get Netflix and download and bunch of films or series on your phone....what we do for when we in Lusaka and the power goes...:mad::E Big Grin:

We take cellphones to stay in touch with the kids via WhatsApp. Use cellphone for pictures and alarm. Take a iPad with some Netflix shows on it in case our seats entertainment system doesn’t work!

FinalPacking_zps357cd005.jpg

That Black Camera backpack is FULL of electronics. It goes everywhere. Sometimes on Hikes, it will be in the truck. It carries the "Big White Gun"; All things Canon SLR.
Quality Photography is the Journal for me.

I'm often on my own so a Cell phone is just as useful in parts of Africa as it is at home. SMS in the field can be handy for getting picked up when required from: blinds, cut off points, etc. Snap shots in the field.
Checking in at home.

GPS: Is in my pocket constantly. I always want to know where I am.

Laptop: Plane/airports movies, internet, Photo Storage/Review, Trail Cam pictures, Notes. Entertaining myself during "Load Shedding".

Depends where in Africa:
Sat Phone(Outside of South Africa)
cell phone
iPad-helps on the long flights or in your tent to have movies you want to watch.
assorted charging cables and power banks
In Reach

Cell phone

2 digital cameras

E-book reader

First trip to Africa coming up in just under two months. (HOORAY!)

I do not own a cell phone and never have. I have a sat phone but don't think I'll be taking it.

I bought a small tablet for this trip specifically, mostly for the long hours in the air; storing movies and books, it just seemed like a good way to go for very little money. I do plan to have a couple of paperbacks as back-ups.

I am shopping for a new small digital camera; I've never totally warmed up to the one I have, and I may take two just in case one craps out.

I also considered - am considering - a nice leather bound journal (I like to write anyway), and maybe a small instant camera, with the idea being I could snap a picture or two in the moment, put the pictures in the journal, and write a few sentences each night. I don't plan on this being my only trip. But I also acknowledge I am 54 and life is never certain, so maybe I should do what I can to take advantage in as much as possible while I am there.

First trip to Africa coming up in just under two months. (HOORAY!)

I do not own a cell phone and never have. I have a sat phone but don't think I'll be taking it.

I bought a small tablet for this trip specifically, mostly for the long hours in the air; storing movies and books, it just seemed like a good way to go for very little money. I do plan to have a couple of paperbacks as back-ups.

I am shopping for a new small digital camera; I've never totally warmed up to the one I have, and I may take two just in case one craps out.

I also considered - am considering - a nice leather bound journal (I like to write anyway), and maybe a small instant camera, with the idea being I could snap a picture or two in the moment, put the pictures in the journal, and write a few sentences each night. I don't plan on this being my only trip. But I also acknowledge I am 54 and life is never certain, so maybe I should do what I can to take advantage in as much as possible while I am there.
That's great! Take whatever you feel you might need. On your second trip, you'll have a good handle on what to take and what to leave home. Good luck hunting!

Thanks Hogpatrol. I don't pretend to believe I have all the answers. I have a plan. I hope it works. I'll surely learn from it. I am very open to suggestions that others who have been there might have.

Thanks Hogpatrol. I don't pretend to believe I have all the answers. I have a plan. I hope it works. I'll surely learn from it. I am very open to suggestions that others who have been there might have.
Probably on one of the first timer threads, but something to consider is a subscription to Global Rescue or Ripcord.

I take a camera, cell phone and laptop. They are strictly for taking and editing pictures. I could care less about communicating with the outside world unless there is an emergency. For that we have a sat phone along and a global rescue membership.

I could care less about communicating with the outside world unless there is an emergency.
My only problem with this statement is I'm not able to give it 2 "likes".

I'll go with what most here have said:
Digital camera and cell phone.
I can email, take photos, and check local weather forecast on my phone and my digital camera takes better low light, and long distance photos/videos than my phone.

Four hunts since 2013. A cell phone on all of them, a DSLR camera on three. I will admit a tablet or laptop computer would have it's moments. Honestly the phone did 90 percent of the work the third (2018) and fourth (2021) trip. Hunting pics, large scale shots, social media, email/texts, google maps and directions on my road trips in 2018, it did it. Kept it simple.

I have taken an Ipad so when in a camp with wifi I could share my hunts with all on AH on a day to day basis. When out of contact, it allowed my short memory to document the day’s events to then share when I got back to a wifi connection.
Equipment:
Ipad mini
Iphone
Lumix 40x zoom digital camera
chargers, power adapters for all

My next trip I don't plan to have any connections, so probably only taking Iphone and camera. Oh yes paper and pen. You guys will just have to wait on my report! :barefoot:

We just recently got kick-ass smart phones in January after holding out as long as we could with flip phones (yeah I know LOL). So they might replace some of what's listed below:

In the past we took the following electrical/electronic items:
  • Laptop computer: for communications (Skype, email), photo uploading & editing.
  • Chargers
  • Cell phone
  • Garmin GPS unit
  • Still and video cameras
  • Range finder
  • Flashlights
Everything but the laptop is a candidate for going into the field I guess.

In the future I'll probably get a Garmin InReach SAT communicator.
We just got a Goal Zero 1500X power station and Dometic 75 liter fridge/freezer. They might go on a trip but obviously won't go into the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg