Double-up

To be honest my purchase of a double recently is because I didn't have one in my collection of rifles, I've always wanted one and I am now at a point in my life where I can comfortably afford a double. Not to mention I also just really enjoy reloading for big bores and shooting them. Having said all this, all my rifles end up out in the field hunting and my double in 470 will be coming with me on a scrub bull/buffalo hunt late June this year. As far as application of double rifles in the field goes, obviously a double chambered in 470 is mostly suited to short range work on big game/dangerous game, so I am one of those people considering another double in a chambering with a bit more versatility such as one of the 375's. If I do end up buying a double in a 375 calibre I will definitely be mounting a low power 1-4 Leupold scope on it for hunting areas that are more open and not really suitable for the 470.

I used to want a smaller caliber double, but now I have decided that a .470NE will probably be enough DR's (unless a super-deal comes along).

To me, a DR is intended for short-range DG hunting. I want to use it with express sights, at distances where the quarry could smell or see me and I could do the same, depending on the direction of the wind.

If I was lucky enough to find a great deal on a small caliber DR, I would probably only use it near home, much the same as I do now with a bow or a muzzle-loader.

For me, as an American of modest income and limited time for African hunting and not, a "method"-type hunter, I want to use a weapon that will give me the greatest opportunity for success. An accurate, scoped bolt-action of sufficient caliber would be what I want in Africa, if game is out of DR range or would require a very precise shot.

The blue-wildebeest with 6 old broadheads in him that was taken on my concession in 2007, taught me that I don't want to pay trophy-fees for wounded and non-recovered game, by being locked into the "method-stage".

Oh, if I had a small caliber DR, I would probably take it out every time I went deer or bear hunting near my home. I would also bet $10,000 that the the trophy of a lifetime would show itself 300+ yards away and the front bead would cover the entire animal!

A couple of years ago I did use a Heym 9.3x74R for PG and leopard and the .500 NE for DG. Rigby I ordered will have a .450/400 scoped barrel for PG and of course the .500 NE for DG.

This coming year I might take the 9.3x74R along with the .500 for miscellaneous PG.

I have “small“ doubles in 318 WR and 280 Ross, both by Westley Richards. I have “large” doubles in 450/400, by Jeffery, and one in 450 NE by Cashmore. I have used both the 318 and 450/400 for sojourns in Africa. The 280 Ross was almost the 7mm Rem Mag of its day - definitely thought to be a longer range cartridge. None wear more than express sights.

The combination of an immediate second shot, and ease of chambering the large NE cartridges, make a double a natural fit for DG, but they were really used for just about everything ahead of the prevalence of bolt guns. And they pack as easy as a take down too!
Please post pictures 318, those doubles sound very interesting.

A couple of years ago I did use a Heym 9.3x74R for PG and leopard and the .500 NE for DG. Rigby I ordered will have a .450/400 scoped barrel for PG and of course the .500 NE for DG.

This coming year I might take the 9.3x74R along with the .500 for miscellaneous PG.
Yes and if I remember correctly you took a baboon at about 275 metres with the 9.3x74R. Any chance of a photo of these two rifles side by side?

Currently have a Chapuis with 9.3x74R & 7x65R barrels as well as a 45-70 Pedersoli. Eventually looking to acquire a 450NE or 450 #2. Might get the Pedersoli rechambered for the #2. I like doubles, they just have a better feel to them. Doubles and lever guns. Starting to find new homes for some of the "extras" around here, to be replaced with doubles and hunts that are more fitting for them.

I went with a scoped french Gaucher SXS in 9,3x74R for the same reason as lvw....not being entirely undergunned if faced with DG. Mine regulates very well at 100m and I suspect to 120-130m...have not tried that out.. 9,3x74R should be spot on for leopard too..

In Europe I use it for hunting moose domestically and the odd driven hunt..

.375 Flanged is wonderful but ammo is scarce...it is more or less a reloader solution. I can by current RWS ammo with soldered bullets that regulate perfect in my rifle..

G3.jpeg

I also own a WW1 vintage double with 2 equally numbered barrel sets in .475NE and .280 Flanged NE..so the idea is not new..

Last edited:
I went with a scoped french Gaucher SXS in 9,3x74R for the same reason as lvw....not being entirely undergunned if faced with DG. Mine regulates very well at 100m and I suspect to 120-130m...have not tried that out.. 9,3x74R should be spot on for leopard too..

In Europe I use it for hunting moose domestically and the odd driven hunt..

.375 Flanged is wonderful but ammo is scarce...it is more or less a reloader solution. I can by current RWS ammo with soldered bullets that regulate perfect in my rifle..

View attachment 521201

I also own a WW1 vintage double with 2 equally numbered barrel sets in .475NE and .280 Flanged NE..so the idea is not new..
Great idea having two barrel sets, the smaller one scoped.

Currently have a Manton 470 double and Iphisi 375, the 375 doesn't wear a scope yet, it may not, its a sales sample. My quandary currently is I have farquharson fever and am about to spend a bunch on a 375 single. For me the ultimate battery is a 375 farq, and a bigger double.

Currently have a Manton 470 double and Iphisi 375, the 375 doesn't wear a scope yet, it may not, its a sales sample. My quandary currently is I have farquharson fever and am about to spend a bunch on a 375 single. For me the ultimate battery is a 375 farq, and a bigger double.
Hi Uplander, please can you give us some feedback on the Iphisi, it is as if this thing is shrouded in secrecy. Why there has not been a field test I dont know. @Tom Leoni , any progress?

I have a couple of 9.3x74R's one of which is an extraordinary WWI era rifle. It has taken hogs, a couple of deer and one black bear. But the one I have used the most is my Blaser S2 with 30-06 barrels in place. It is regulated for the 180gr TSX and it has taken quite a number of plains game animals in Mozambique including Nyala and sable.

9.3x74R Double Rifle

9.3x74R Double Rifle

Nyala and S2 with 30'06 tubes

Hey Kevin....not sure so much shrouded in secrecy as not many have rolled in, and I can only speak for myself as for testing, its a frozen tundra where I live right now so just haven't made it to the range. I fully intend to see how well and "easy" it regulates with handloads, accuracy etc. They are dandy rifles to handle in every way. It is a proper modern double from everything I see.

Hey Kevin....not sure so much shrouded in secrecy as not many have rolled in, and I can only speak for myself as for testing, its a frozen tundra where I live right now so just haven't made it to the range. I fully intend to see how well and "easy" it regulates with handloads, accuracy etc. They are dandy rifles to handle in every way. It is a proper modern double from everything I see.
Thanks Uplander, please let us know as soon as you have done some shooting.

I have done two safaris where I took two doubles.
450NE - Buffalo 9.3x74- eland and sable
450/400 roan and hippo 577BPE- giraffe

Now if I were to take two it would be
500/416 and 9.3x74 or 7x65 depending on what PG was also being hunted

I have done two safaris where I took two doubles.
450NE - Buffalo 9.3x74- eland and sable
450/400 roan and hippo 577BPE- giraffe

Now if I were to take two it would be
500/416 and 9.3x74 or 7x65 depending on what PG was also being hunted
I like your last 3 choices.....
500/416 in sxs
Last 2 o/u interchangeable barrels

Many here own two, or even more double rifles. The category I am interested in here is those folks who have a heavier double for DG, and a lighter one for PG, and I know of at least five of you who have gone that route. The light double has always been around, I handled a vintage Rigby rising bite light frame in .303 the other day. But in this modern age many of the volume manufacturers do a more affordable light frame, Heym and Verney Carron amongst them.
Most of these light frame doubles come with arrangements to fit a scope, or are commonly ordered with scope mounts. They are then well capable of shots out to 250-300 metres. Smaller scoped doubles are commonly used in Europe, typically as O/U's for smaller game including boar.
Then there is the inbetween zone where a light frame double can do it all and you can get away with just the one. The much anticipated Chapuis Iphisi in 375 H&H is one such contender, street legal in big game turf and well accepted on the tiny 10. Heym has this calibre in their light frame version too and one wonders why they didn't make a fuss over it, their loss. In fact they offer the light frame in up to 450/400 as well. One of the pictures below is of a Heym 89b light frame with detachable scope mounts in 375 flanged magnum next to it's big brother in 500NE for comparison.
I went for the middle Africa frame in 450/400 and intend to use it as a one fits all double, time will tell how well that works, but as you know I am putting a lot of effort into regulation and sights to achieve that aim.
So, what are your thoughts, are you a double double person or trying to do the one double thing?
View attachment 521058
Heym 89b 500NE top, Heym 89b light frame below
View attachment 521059
Vintage Rigby rising bite .303 top, Westley Richards .303 below. Both light frames.
Well Kevin, the more you guys talk about doubles the more likely I'll get a second one! Thanks for the discussion and pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg