Double Rifle Barrel Length

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
In my thread about small bore double rifles, there was a disagreement over the proper barrel length for double rifles. Some think that anything under 25" is sacrilege while others think that anything over 23" is unwieldy in the bush.

Anyway, I was flipping around on TV the other day and caught part of an awful Sean Connery movie, but what did catch my attention was that he was using a hammer double rifle with super long barrels, probably 28" or more. Here is a picture of the gun.
13864_0.jpg

So I was wondering, what do you think would be the ideal barrel length for a double rifle? I know a lot of thisi depends on the cartridge as well, and I would probably prefer a shorter barrel for something like a .577 NE because I would be using it to go after elephant and buff in the bush, while a small bore double could benefit form longer barrels like the gun above.
@Saul
The film was called “ League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen “ . Mr. Connery used a .500 Black Powder Express in that film .

I personally believe that 26 inches is an ideal double rifle barrel length for an operator who is above six feet tall . For anybody who is shorter , 24 inches is more ideal .

jdemocko

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Australia, Canada
I split the distance and went with 25 on my 500 NE

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharylClay

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG