Double Rifle Barrel Length

In my thread about small bore double rifles, there was a disagreement over the proper barrel length for double rifles. Some think that anything under 25" is sacrilege while others think that anything over 23" is unwieldy in the bush.

Anyway, I was flipping around on TV the other day and caught part of an awful Sean Connery movie, but what did catch my attention was that he was using a hammer double rifle with super long barrels, probably 28" or more. Here is a picture of the gun.
13864_0.jpg

So I was wondering, what do you think would be the ideal barrel length for a double rifle? I know a lot of thisi depends on the cartridge as well, and I would probably prefer a shorter barrel for something like a .577 NE because I would be using it to go after elephant and buff in the bush, while a small bore double could benefit form longer barrels like the gun above.
@Saul
The film was called “ League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen “ . Mr. Connery used a .500 Black Powder Express in that film .

I personally believe that 26 inches is an ideal double rifle barrel length for an operator who is above six feet tall . For anybody who is shorter , 24 inches is more ideal .

I split the distance and went with 25 on my 500 NE

Reactions: WAB
This Beretta DR with 26 inch barrels in the process of graduating from .45-70 to 45-90 and I have loaded the ammo for regulation with NF 350 SS bullets at 2200 fps. The ballistic calculations are promising and I will test all ammo in my 1886 45-90 before firing in the double. Fun with guns!

ED2013D7-5604-4CA5-B136-1B91DF99DBD6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally prefer barrels of about 26", but that's mostly based on appearance. I just like the way a little longer barrel looks. Proper balance would probably win out over aesthetics.
My dream double would be of european manufacture around the turn of the century, 1905 or so, in .450 3 1/4 NE with 26" tubes. A close second would be 450/400...
Aaaah, it never hurts to dream :rolleyes:
Agree which is why my DR is 450-400 with 26 inch barrels. Perfect

Reactions: WAB
Have never owned a double…..been fortunate enough to shoot only a few too. And I’m no optometrist either….
So with that caveats in place…I reckon that the front sight on a longer barrel would be easier to see than on a shorter barrel. Especially for older eyes in hunting situations

especially before laser eye and lens replacement surgery.
No use having a London Best double commissioned with 22” barrels if the eyes can only clearly focus down to 25”.

I think much of this depends on the caliber of the double. Thin barrels on a .450 or .500 bpe balance well with 28" barrels. Bump up to a .577 bpe and 26" balances well. On to the 8 and 4-bores at 24" (although in a 4-bore 22 seems better to me). Same in the nitro calibers. I wish my .600 had 24" rather than the 26" has. Maybe it's time to buy a hack saw? Too me the heavier the barrels the shorter they should be.

I am pleased to be in illustr
I think much of this depends on the caliber of the double. Thin barrels on a .450 or .500 bpe balance well with 28" barrels. Bump up to a .577 bpe and 26" balances well. On to the 8 and 4-bores at 24" (although in a 4-bore 22 seems better to me). Same in the nitro calibers. I wish my .600 had 24" rather than the 26" has. Maybe it's time to buy a hack saw? Too me the heavier the barrels the shorter they should be.
ious company Cal Pappas, I was just reading down through this (old !) thread and thinking -Surely it is all about the balance ? And then you just laid it out perfectly.

I have never understood why the length of the barrel is such a big deal. All my rifles are shorter than me and easier to get through a thorn bush than my lardy ass. To me the barrel length is all about balance, even in a bolt gun. I found it easier to add weight to the stock than trim barrels shorter. But barrel heavy will always feel clumsy.

I am pleased to be in illustr
ious company Cal Pappas, I was just reading down through this (old !) thread and thinking -Surely it is all about the balance ? And then you just laid it out perfectly.

I have never understood why the length of the barrel is such a big deal. All my rifles are shorter than me and easier to get through a thorn bush than my lardy ass. To me the barrel length is all about balance, even in a bolt gun. I found it easier to add weight to the stock than trim barrels shorter. But barrel heavy will always feel clumsy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois