Double addicted

A propos KP's Westley Richards double: Mr. Trigger won't do repairs or refurbishments, at least for us plebs. This is, perhaps, something to bear in mind when buying a new rifle - get it in writing that it can be serviced at the maker's.

Personally, I'd think about getting the rifle re-proofed. If it is tight on face, so much the better, otherwise it needs tightening up. Neither of these ought to be particularly expensive.

As for tarting it up, my personal view is some that light and sympathetic restoration would be appropriate. Don't go the whole American. I'd be particularly careful about any rebluing.
Agreed MB, it will be a light cleanup.

Hey, they are doubles. My matching French .50's purportably carried by a French officer during our War for Independence. Apparently he was a good shot because one barrel shows a lot more erosion of the breech plug than the others. Didn't need many followup shots.

IMG_2264.jpg

Where'd you find that hat? I'd like to get myself one. Definitely perfect
Baron Hats in Los Angeles (Hollywood no less! :cool: ) This is the same style hat they made for Redford in "Out of Africa." I thought it looked better with a leather hatband than Redford's Puggaree though @Kevin Peacocke would likely disagree. But I also have to wear it in Texas. :unsure:

HAT5.jpg

Hey, they are doubles. My matching French .50's purportably carried by a French officer during our War for Independence. Apparently he was a good shot because one barrel shows a lot more erosion of the breech plug than the others. Didn't need many followup shots.

View attachment 516691
I like French officers' arms in our War of Independence. Some did not forget Louisiana.

My WW1 vintage .475 3 1/4 NE Midland Gun Co. with extra barrel set in .280 Flanged NE, equally numbered. Most likely built by John Wilkes who had a shop in Birmingham until 1930, they did outwork for any customer.. Shoe lump barrels..dolls head extension and side clips..

Midland 5.jpg

Midland 4.jpg
475.jpg

Midland .475 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Some of the fun I’ve had with the Gibbs. Zephyr, your .450 Gibbs would make the perfect matched pair for my .450-.400 3&1/4”.

Image1676979465.998883.jpg
871.JPG
783.JPG
Image1676979795.474499.jpg
585.JPG
580.JPG
Image1676980069.772505.jpg
496.JPG
Image1676980178.085409.jpg
Image1676980206.826826.jpg

Beautiful old double. Were those all taken open sights?

Hi Kevin, yes I’m fortunate enough that my eyesight is still good. I made the call a few years ago to hunt as much with my open sighted rifles as possible while my eyes are capable.

I have a Type A 9,3x62 and a Brno Mod21 7x57 that I also shoot with open sights, and honestly don’t have the heart to drill and tap. I suppose when the time comes that I can’t shoot these rifles with iron sights any longer I will sell them and buy a Heym that can accommodate a red dot.

Baron Hats in Los Angeles (Hollywood no less! :cool: ) This is the same style hat they made for Redford in "Out of Africa." I thought it looked better with a leather hatband than Redford's Puggaree though @Kevin Peacocke would likely disagree. But I also have to wear it in Texas. :unsure:

View attachment 517364
For Texas, why not rattlesnake, or better yet, pay a game warden to find you a really large copperhead for a band?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you