Doorndraai dam

Very interesting views and comments on carp from the other side of the big water!

Here is my dad [at 79 still very active and strong for his age] after a couple of hours of fishing--it was a huge privilege to still be able to share our love for the outdoors over so many years, and to be able to sat with him for a weekend doing what he likes--priceless!

22908d1381721004-doorndraai-dam-dsc06119.jpg


My contribution to the event that day--only a smallish 'vlei kurper'!. [lol]

22909d1381721081-doorndraai-dam-dsc05973.jpg

That Is Awesome!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Cliffy...lol

I have never tried to pickle carp, but I think it would work. People pickle northern pike all the time.

Got a bit uh dat upper midwestern Scandinavian in ya eh?
 
Got a bit uh dat upper midwestern Scandinavian in ya eh?

ha ha you like them rollopes do you phil
got a mate from fiunland that runs a big boat over here and his crew say he wont go to sea with out a couple of jars of rollopes
on board
 
im glad you get to persue fishing for carp with your father willem
and l hope you enjoy the fish mate .
whats the biggest one you or your dad have taken ?

thanks bluey--yes its a huge privilege to still be able to take him out to what he taught me long long ago on the farm where we grew up in the wild

this year he turns 80 and he could share my dream warthog spear hunt--priceless!

s (2).jpg

we got a saying in our family
'give flowers while the person can still enjoy and appreciate it. it's useless to want to put flowers on the grave....'
well,that's just us..

he caught a 15 kg carp from the edge once

you be careful out there--fishing accidents seems to happen....

m.jpg
 
For those of us with Nordski blood we worship lutefisk. If you don't know what it is you ain't Nordski!
BTW, we have hundreds of those carpy things swimming around the docks here at Lake Powell. Come on over and I'll show you how to catch as many as you want as fast as you can throw your line in. Some go 10 kgs.
 
Forgot to add, I like pickled herring with or without sour cream!
 
Forgot to add, I like pickled herring with or without sour cream!

:laughing: and when did you say your baby is due.
 
Nice carp pic !

In SA many dams stock carp especially for sport fishing , i know its strange to many but in SA you get many keen carp fisherman. I personally hate carp and catfish or any other invasive creature. I guess this answers the question.

On the other hand black bass do well in SA also a problematic fish in our waters but i love fishing for bass , i wish all the carp and catfish could be traded for some nice Florida strain bass : -) hahaha..
 
Something smells fishy around here,

When I was a child, through my teenage years (prior to the development of gunpowder, the wheel, etc.,) my friends and I who found "normal" things like baseball quite dull, used to hunt carp in clear rivers and lakes, by means of mask, fins, snorkel and home made spear guns.

In muddy waters (irrigation ditches, etc.), we stalked quietly along the banks with archery tackle for them.
There were even vicious rumors to the affect that, "those rather odd boys" (my peers and me) were shooting them with shotgun slugs, 9mm Steyer, .22 Rimfire Magnum, .45 ACP, .38 Special, .36 caliber cap & ball revolver, .30-06, 6mm Remington, .300 Savage, 7.62x54 Russian, .303 British and such likes.
Oh the slander.

Taken from clear water, the smaller ones were edible (skinned, sliced thin, dusted in cornmeal and deep fried) but it seemed like the larger ones developed a rather "fishy" taste, almost as if they were beginning to rot while still perfectly healthy.
The latter would end up as one person here already said; ferterlizer.

Out,
Velo Dog.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,370
Messages
1,574,395
Members
170,033
Latest member
DeboraTrou
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top