Does anyone like night hunting?

Mark je

Reaction score
Do you use a flashlight when hunting at night?

H5-8E_副本.jpg

flashlights
thermal
night vision
it is pretty cool, we do a bit of it through the year

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. After I realized the wind was blowing my candles out! Seriously a top quality flashlight is a necessary part of hunting gear.

I have lost so many quality flashlights to leaking batteries and have been slowly switching to rechargeable.

Yes. After I realized the wind was blowing my candles out! Seriously a top quality flashlight is a necessary part of hunting gear.

I have lost so many quality flashlights to leaking batteries and have been slowly switching to rechargeable.
Seriously a top quality flashlight is a necessary part of hunting gear. I agree.

Many flashlights are now rechargeable. It might be better to use a rechargeable one. A full charge can last at least 5 hours, which is enough.

I really love seeing all the night animals in Africa, completely different place after dark, use the Moon & great scopes to thermals (which is truly cheating lol) now days spotlights are out & the Maxtoch flashlights are the go, better than the best spotlight we used to use .

I have spent 10s & 10s of hours waiting in blinds, rock falls, caves, & fields waiting for this or that, one of my most exciting was a DAC Hippo hunt, alone & after many nights I got the rogue who had killed some & maimed many, he had been shot at least twice before & a large snare wound to one of his legs. .

Last edited:
I really love seeing all the night animals in Africa, completely different place after dark, use the Moon & great scopes to thermals (which is truly cheating lol) now days spotlights are out & the Maxtoch flashlights are the go, better than the best spotlight we used to use .
Cool~ Then, How about the infrared flashlight?

Do you mean to use with a Night Vision scope, they are not a patch on a Thermal scope ?

Do you mean to use with a Night Vision scope, they are not a patch on a Thermal scope ?
The light of the infrared flashlight needs to be seen with an infrared night vision device. The irradiated person or animal is completely unaware that the infrared light is shining on him. I think there is a difference between infrared and thermal imaging?

Yes as I thought , it depends on the wave length of the infrared light as some animals can see the light emitted humans can't & most herbivores but some predators can see them .

Night vision is not even close to a thermal imaging device, if you have used both you would understand ?

Welcome @Mark je, seeing that this is your first post, how about telling us a bit about yourself, what you hunt, where have you hunted, and why your interested in night hunting? Not saying that you are, but this could be a trick question that could be taken out context real quick and in a hurry.

Hunting at night in mozambique was very popular in my school days if one wanted meat ; in the mid 60's we would ask the warden of the area and he would advise what type of small game and quantity allowed eg rabbits ,duiker, impala ;a spot light was used to locate the game .
I have also hunted at night for bushpig - waiting in blinds with baited area not too far and in front of the blind ( +-30 paces) ;only a red light is used once the pigs are feeding.

The light of the infrared flashlight needs to be seen with an infrared night vision device. The irradiated person or animal is completely unaware that the infrared light is shining on him. I think there is a difference between infrared and thermal imaging?
It depends on the wavelength of the infrared. I was once quoted that anything from 850 n.m is invisible to the eye. I can't say that this is fact. Could have merely been salesmen talk.
I have however found that even at this wavelength, animals seem to pick up the infrared when there is direct contact with their eyes.

I used to hunt racoons a lot when I was younger. I used a rechargeable battery light that had a long cord from the battery to the light. Took me awhile to get used to holding the light and the rifle forearm with the same hand. After some practice it was second nature.

Welcome @Mark je, seeing that this is your first post, how about telling us a bit about yourself, what you hunt, where have you hunted, and why your interested in night hunting? Not saying that you are, but this could be a trick question that could be taken out context real quick and in a hurry.

No response to your question… concerning

I do a lot of fox shooting and foxes can be aware of the glow of an infrared torch. A VCSEL is quite bright, a 850nm produces a less visible light source and a 940nm is the least visible. Thermal is the dogs danglers for spotting.

No response to your question… concerning
Anyone new asking prying questions should be red flagged immediately. In any event it isn't great manners to open with a 'how much is this worth?, or a prying question.
Jerome, would it perhaps be an idea to limit anyone new from questions until they have properly introduced themselves? I don't even know if that is possible.

Anyone new asking prying questions should be red flagged immediately. In any event it isn't great manners to open with a 'how much is this worth?, or a prying question.
Jerome, would it perhaps be an idea to limit anyone new from questions until they have properly introduced themselves? I don't even know if that is possible.
Seems like a pretty harmless question in this case. And the point of a community forum is to allow questions and the sharing of knowledge.

I agree that it would be better for an introduction post first, but far from mandatory to do so. As for the "prying" question, each posting member has their own right to answer or not. AH is a great resource for helpful information and insight, no reason to get up in arms about someone signing up as a member to get help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross