Distance of first shot on the big 5 or dangerous 7?

Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
None
I would love to hear the stories and get your take on hunting approach distance and style.
I know some people like myself like to be under 100yrds for the first shot, some like it farther away. I know the type of animal and stalk/blind has a play in a style. But I would like to see if there is a general consensus on the stalk or even river hunting. My preference is always on land. But I know some prefer the brain shot in water and so forth.
I find shooting style and distance is a very personal thing to most.
I would also like to hear from some ph's. Especially on buffalo.

I also like to stalk as close as possible, I used a double on my buff and hippo. Buffalo first shot was 22 yards, second was 25yards, third was at 72 yards. All three were killing shots the buff just didn't know he was dead yet. My hippo was a single shot to the brain at 48 meters. My wife shot her croc at 76 Meters. (That was as close as we could get on that big lizard)

Blinds for Hippo, Croc, Lion and Leopard 50 Meters. No farther than 80 Meters, but there are exceptions.
Buff 25 to 40 meters, again this can change due to terrain and vegetation.
Elephant 15 to 30 meters, same as above terrain and vegetation plays a big role.

First shot on Buffalo with my 375 double was at about 75-80 yards was a bit low as he was trotting. Next shot just grazed him as he was running. Third and fourth shot at about 95 yards as he walked past were solid hits and an insurance shot at 30 yards to anchor him. Tough tough animals.

My DG experience is limited to lion... at least until my next safari in a few months!

We tracked the lion on foot. First shot was at 15 paces. Second and third security shots were at 10/5 paces respectively, but he was no longer moving at that point.

I'll let you know how elephant and leopard go after our trip.

200 yards is a long way for most dangerous game species.

200 yards is a nothing shot for an accomplished rifleman in prone or with a good rest.

As exciting as it is to kill something at a stones throw, I wonder how many more PH's that have been killed by wildlife would be alive today if they would have added a bit of distance between them at the first shot.

Dense cover not withstanding.

200 yards is a nothing shot for an accomplished rifleman in prone or with a good rest.

As exciting as it is to kill something at a stones throw, I wonder how many more PH's that have been killed by wildlife would be alive today if they would have added a bit of distance between them at the first shot.

What's shooting at 200 yards got to do with hunting dg?....as I said that's shooting not hunting them....and most incidents happen on the follow up on a wounded animal....or in some cases getting taken by surprise by an animal usually buff that's snared or been chewed by lions...or even getting shot by the client on a follow up on the odd occasion....

Blinds for Hippo, Croc, Lion and Leopard 50 Meters. No farther than 80 Meters, but there are exceptions.
Buff 25 to 40 meters, again this can change due to terrain and vegetation.
Elephant 15 to 30 meters, same as above terrain and vegetation plays a big role.

Bout sums it up

I took my buff at about 130 metres and buggared it up. Your heart is pounding, the light is fading, the buff is stepping off, the sticks feel awkward ....Whatever it may be, get in closer and get that first vital shot into the triangle. Even will all the above factors you will be far better off closer in, and the DG will be far worse off.

The V and E drop way off on some big bore DG guns. Under 100 yds is the general rule and 1/4-1/2 that is ideal for proper shot placement (and only 1 shot necessary,) not to mention cheating yourself out of a potentially D DG stalk!

Only the first sentence makes any sense....

Many cannot even place the shot where it needs to go close in....I wonder how they will even hit it at 200 yards never mind place it where it needs to go, in the vitals.....

Most PH get killed on the follow up....if the first shot was placed where it was supposed to go no follow up would have been needed....and the PH would not have been killed or mauled....

Would love to see someone hunt a leopard at night at 200 yards or make the same shot on a lion on a tracking hunt....

It never ceases to amaze me some of the things people come up with....

What caliber we going to recommend here for elephant at 200 yards? I wonder how many PH's can accurately judge elephant tusk size and weight at that distance? Let alone identify a tusk less cow that does not have a dependent calf or have swollen mammaries...

Where will we find such a place? Where we can observe DG at 200 yards plus and take the shot?

Eish....maybe I am too old fashioned or getting to old for this.....

My croc was 105 yards off a very solid rest on the opposite river bank/island. My 2 hippos in water, one was at 70 yards off 4 stable sticks, the other was too far just under 150 but it was a good brain shot still with a very solid rest. My Cape buffalo was about 80 yards. My 1st Australian buffalo was under 25 yards and my 2nd was maybe 40-50. My croc and hippo shots are longer than most, but I will add they were all at the tail end of hunts and PH had a good opportunity to evaluate my shooting. My shot on my croc split the skull but slightly missed the brain just a little high, I was able to put 2 more into him before he fell off rock and we did recover him at bottom of river. My 1st Australian buffalo came right at us after shot, not a charge, just very close and the direction he want to come.
My next cape buffalo hunt, I would really like to get in close after a long day of tracking, I booked it just for that experience.

Many cannot even place the shot where it needs to go close in....I wonder how they will even hit it at 200 yards never mind place it where it needs to go, in the vitals.....

Most PH get killed on the follow up....if the first shot was placed where it was supposed to go no follow up would have been needed....and the PH would not have been killed or mauled....

Would love to see someone hunt a leopard at night at 200 yards or make the same shot on a lion on a tracking hunt....

What caliber we going to recommend here for elephant at 200 yards? I wonder how many PH's can accurately judge elephant tusk size and weight at that distance? Let alone identify a tusk less cow that does not have a dependent calf or have swollen mammaries...

Where will we find such a place? Where we can observe DG at 200 yards plus and take the shot?

No you are not old fashioned, there are plain sensibilities in all this. I am a total junior in this game, but I just cant reconcile to some of the glaring inconsistencies. Even in my little circle there are two hunters who seem to have become bored with taking game and now want to push out the range with a faster magnum and a bigger scope. 'More challenge'. What happened to the ethical aim of avoiding wounding? Sure there may be a specific species that just can't be taken at closer range, but other than that ring distant gongs for kicks.

I took mine with a frontal shot thru the heart at 80-90yds. It was thick and it just happened that there was a path to a small clearing. Given the cover, I expected a 20-40yd shot.

My DG experience is limited to lion... at least until my next safari in a few months!

We tracked the lion on foot. First shot was at 15 paces. Second and third security shots were at 10/5 paces respectively, but he was no longer moving at that point.

I'll let you know how elephant and leopard go after our trip.
Now that is close ! Must have been very exciting !

The ballistics of my rifle are very poor at 200 yrds. Im only comfortable with a shot out to 100yrds. Really comfortable at 50yrds.
But 200yrds? Thats more like target practice or deer hunting to me.
200yrds on a thick skinned animal, like an elephant? Maybe with a 50bmg ???

Don't have much experience but I shot my buffalo one shot with a 416 rigby at 20yds in the thick stuff. No follow up shots required. I can say it was a a little tense.

Don't have much experience but I shot my buffalo one shot with a 416 rigby at 20yds in the thick stuff. No follow up shots required. I can say it was a a little tense.
I heard that. Nothing like death 1 second away to let you know how how small you really are !

No you are not old fashioned, there are plain sensibilities in all this. I am a total junior in this game, but I just cant reconcile to some of the glaring inconsistencies. Even in my little circle there are two hunters who seem to have become bored with taking game and now want to push out the range with a faster magnum and a bigger scope. 'More challenge'. What happened to the ethical aim of avoiding wounding? Sure there may be a specific species that just can't be taken at closer range, but other than that ring distant gongs for kicks.
Interesting that "more challenge" translates into distance.

I'd have thought - at least based on my own experience - that the real challenge lies in getting close to an animal which is naturally very wary, and has two or more of great hearing, great sense of smell or great eyesight.

In my experience, as others have said, it depends on the animal. If you think that hitting an elephant at 200 yards is a challenge, you need to re-define your terms. Getting to within 15 yards of an elephant (12 in my case) is a real challenge and believe me, your heart is pounding and you know that if the elephant becomes aware of you that close, you are in serious trouble. Shooting well in those circumstances is a "more challenge." Shooting at a barn door at 200 or more yards requires nothing more than good equipment and a steady hand (which is a whole lot easier when you have nothing at risk).

Before taking my youngest boy on a hunting trip to Africa I sent him to SAAM in Texas. He got some great training. On arrival in Africa he told me he could reliably hit the gong at 1000 yards. I told him that first, he wouldn't be taking any shots at anything over 100 yards, and secondly, shooting an animal, involving as it does things like angles and vitals, was a lot harder than hitting a plate. Not sure he believed me . . . until he missed on his first animal and wounded his second (which we recovered). He shot a lot better after that.

Lesson learned about challenges.

Interesting that "more challenge" translates into distance.

I'd have thought - at least based on my own experience - that the real challenge lies in getting close to an animal which is naturally very wary, and has two or more of great hearing, great sense of smell or great eyesight.

In my experience, as others have said, it depends on the animal. If you think that hitting an elephant at 200 yards is a challenge, you need to re-define your terms. Getting to within 15 yards of an elephant (12 in my case) is a real challenge and believe me, your heart is pounding and you know that if the elephant becomes aware of you that close, you are in serious trouble. Shooting well in those circumstances is a "more challenge." Shooting at a barn door at 200 or more yards requires nothing more than good equipment and a steady hand (which is a whole lot easier when you have nothing at risk).

Before taking my youngest boy on a hunting trip to Africa I sent him to SAAM in Texas. He got some great training. On arrival in Africa he told me he could reliably hit the gong at 1000 yards. I told him that first, he wouldn't be taking any shots at anything over 100 yards, and secondly, shooting an animal, involving as it does things like angles and vitals, was a lot harder than hitting a plate. Not sure he believed me . . . until he missed on his first animal and wounded his second (which we recovered). He shot a lot better after that.

Lesson learned about challenges.
12yrds is definitely a heart pounding distance !
At that range , you will only get 1 shot. I bet it was very intense ! I can imagine that beast towing over you at only 12yrds !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross