Delta just cancelled June 1 ATL to JNB flight

I did a July search and Delta flights not showing up. Good luck if you booked on canceled Delta to Jberg flights. My travel agent advised Delta will not refund money and will offer a rerouted ticket through AMS.
My search showes the first Atlanta - JNB Direct flight as July 2nd.
Obviously the current odds of that actually happening are not great.

It looks like a one week extension of the cancellation only. The 2nd week of June is open ATL-JNB nonstop.
Take a breath people!
Lol Phil...I fly that direct route the first week oh July. Thus far everything is good

We had booked delta back in October for May of this year, they cancelled and we got full refund. Booked Emirates a couple of months ago and last week they pushed out to an uncomfortable date, we requested refund and got full refund. Fast forward to this week, now booked on Qatar to Johannesburg fly out of Dulles and it is a GO! Submitted all paperwork for the third time today and will be wheels up May 21.

Travel agent just advised me that Delta cancelled ATL to JNB flight that was scheduled to start June 1st.
I gave up. My Delta flight was too leave on 7/1. Just found out that was cancelled. I took my s refit to use on my 22 July hunt and booked through Qatar with Lori at Travel Express for my July 21 hunt. Almost twice the travel time and four flights versus two but at least I know I will get there and back. Delta sucks

I gave up. My Delta flight was too leave on 7/1. Just found out that was cancelled. I took my s refit to use on my 22 July hunt and booked through Qatar with Lori at Travel Express for my July 21 hunt. Almost twice the travel time and four flights versus two but at least I know I will get there and back. Delta sucks
@Rare Breed
Looks like spell checker garbled part of your post...

Did you get a refund from Delta? I thought they were forcing ticket holders to take the Amsterdam route.

Ecredit

To be clear I can’t get a refund for my Delta trip but can get an ecredit for next years Africa trip so I am taking that and am now booked through Qatar for this July’s hunt
So they didn’t offer a refund even though they canceled the flight?

Delta is probably blurring the lines, but DOT rules are pretty clear. Now that doesn't mean you will get anywhere on a refund but they are required to refund under a lot of circumstances. You just need to know what those are. I'm sure they will fight like hell to not refund. I'm actually surprised that some travel agents are saying no refunds are being given. Canceling your flight and putting you on a completely different itinerary would seem to be a significant schedule change. Both of those reasons are a reason for a refund.

Why didn’t you just have them reroute you through AMS? This is what they are currently doing.

Delta is probably blurring the lines, but DOT rules are pretty clear. Now that doesn't mean you will get anywhere on a refund but they are required to refund under a lot of circumstances. You just need to know what those are. I'm sure they will fight like hell to not refund. I'm actually surprised that some travel agents are saying no refunds are being given. Canceling your flight and putting you on a completely different itinerary would seem to be a significant schedule change. Both of those reasons are a reason for a refund.

You can read this or read and infer that but airlines do not give refunds. They just don’t.

It is, admittedly annoying to fly though Amsterdam or Paris on Delta (code share) to JNB. I did it last week, carrying guns, staying overnight, etc. Don’t let it ruin your safari. If you have the time, it is really not that big of a deal. It should be done in Delta One.
Tell us about your trip. Was it ATL-AMS-JNB? Why did you have to overnight? I’ve heard of some folks taking this route but no real problems.

You can read this or read and infer that but airlines do not give refunds. They just don’t.
Those rules may only apply to domestic U.S. based airlines. Me and my buddy got ours from Qatar for last year's cancelled flight. The option was a credit for a future booking.
Their website states they've refunded 600,000 passengers 1.2 Billion dollars in refunds. Another reason to not dick around with Delta. Read this article and compare it to Delta and United's policies for cancelled flights. Then if they cancel or reroute you, bend over, forward.

Last edited:
Checked a previous routing and Air France is still flying out of Dulles with a stop in CDG, Paris, total time 33 hours. Test departure date was May 26.

I just got back and if your really want to go you have options. This was my first flight with Qatar and the service/food/flights were all a cut above delta. Yes it takes longer but they have flown through all the hard times when other airlines have sat around waiting for goverment bail outs. As of now I really don't trust Delta to be reliable so until they get their SH%$ together I will look at other options and I have to finilaize my august Namibia trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg