Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
They do not. They try to reschedule you not knowing it might impact your hunt. For example going through Amsterdam you need a special gun license but if you don’t know to get it they will stop your rifle there and you will end up in Africa without your gun
Not if you use a travel agent.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM

Charlie P

Reaction score
Member of
NRA
I'm scheduled for August on my third attempt in the last 18mths to make it to South Africa. We live in south Alabama so the jump to ATL and then JNB is very convenient. I've been extremely concerned about booking with Delta due to all their uncertainty. To make matters worse and as a factual example I've also got a trip to Iceland in June. Delta a couple of weeks after booking that flight sent me a change. Then this weekend they sent a second change and I roughly scanned it over. We had booked with good layovers as my wife has some mobility issues. We didn't want to do the OJ thing between flights. I noticed the changes Delta made slowly ate away the layover time to where we only had 45 min between each of the two connections. Getting some time and looking closer they had actually moved my flights a day and a half later than originally scheduled, screwed up our seating choices plus leaving us with little connection time. On their schedule I'd miss joining the tour I'm booked on. I went on the website and rescheduled the flight for the second time, do you believe this, back to my original schedule. The only good thing is each time I've rescheduled I've gained e credits and am now up about $635. Has Delta lost their minds? There is no way I can book with Delta for such a serious flight as that to South Africa which has to join up with lodging and a flight with another carrier. Additionally with the possibility of them only giving me more e credits when they are the ones changing things. I've learned though the gracious input of the site members that Qatar is a better choice and that Travel Express is a preferred agency to book through. Anyone have any specific's on either organization that you feel would be useful information I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Bigskinny

Reaction score
Member of
Ducks unlimited, RMEF
We are flying United out of dfw to Newark and then jberg, might be an option to check out

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I'm scheduled for August on my third attempt in the last 18mths to make it to South Africa. We live in south Alabama so the jump to ATL and then JNB is very convenient. I've been extremely concerned about booking with Delta due to all their uncertainty. To make matters worse and as a factual example I've also got a trip to Iceland in June. Delta a couple of weeks after booking that flight sent me a change. Then this weekend they sent a second change and I roughly scanned it over. We had booked with good layovers as my wife has some mobility issues. We didn't want to do the OJ thing between flights. I noticed the changes Delta made slowly ate away the layover time to where we only had 45 min between each of the two connections. Getting some time and looking closer they had actually moved my flights a day and a half later than originally scheduled, screwed up our seating choices plus leaving us with little connection time. On their schedule I'd miss joining the tour I'm booked on. I went on the website and rescheduled the flight for the second time, do you believe this, back to my original schedule. The only good thing is each time I've rescheduled I've gained e credits and am now up about $635. Has Delta lost their minds? There is no way I can book with Delta for such a serious flight as that to South Africa which has to join up with lodging and a flight with another carrier. Additionally with the possibility of them only giving me more e credits when they are the ones changing things. I've learned though the gracious input of the site members that Qatar is a better choice and that Travel Express is a preferred agency to book through. Anyone have any specific's on either organization that you feel would be useful information I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
They were once rated the best corporation in America ( back in the seventies) - they may now be the worst airline in the developed world.

mallard14

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NWTF, SCI, DSC, Delta Waterfowl, NRA
Hunted
USA, Canada, RSA, Mexico, Argentina
I am flying Qatar Airlines from Memphis to Joburg on June 5th. Are there any special forms that Qatar Airlines require for rifles and ammunition or does my transfer in Doha require and special forms?

wlambert

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Utah, Maine (USA); Limpopo, Eastern Cape (RSA)
My daughter and I were booked June 6 on Delta, ATL to JNB and that has been cancelled. Lori @ Travel Express is working on a refund and rebooking on Qatar. Seems like Delta is giving less and less lead times on these cancellations. Fingers crossed that we are able to stay on schedule.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
I am flying Qatar Airlines from Memphis to Joburg on June 5th. Are there any special forms that Qatar Airlines require for rifles and ammunition or does my transfer in Doha require and special forms?
Are you using Travel Express or Gracy Travel? They have the answers. IIRC, Qatar needs a LOT of paperwork if you are carrying firearms.

Last edited:

Tgood1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
US canada africa
ive traveled qatar previously and am doing again in july. i have no problems with them, comfortable flight and outstanding staff. i would not even consider trying international travel, especially with firearms, at his time without the excellent service of travel express. they are fantasic.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
They were once rated the best corporation in America ( back in the seventies) - they may now be the worst airline in the developed world.
Yes. I usually favor the idea of keeping more in business thus more competition thus better products and services. But with seemingly endless, "too big or too important to fail bailouts", I may have to re-think that. Right now I wouldn't mind if Delta went the way of the Passenger Pigeon, Pan Am and TWA.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Just go through AMS. See if it won’t work. I know others have done it.
They rerouted me last night and it cost less but will take longer to get there....but who cares I’m retired.....got time

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

JHT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Delta cancelled my June 21 direct. Choices are Delta through Amsterdam or United. Worried I won’t have time for Zimbabwe Covid test if I stick with Delta as it lands much later than Untied. Not sure what to do. Not enough time away from work/family for other options.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
Today I booked the Ethiopian air flight from Washington DC to Addis and then on to Namibia. We depart June 15th and return 26 days later... I hope I work enough before I go.

I am using Gracy travel again, they are excellent.

I picked this route at the direction of both my PH and Gracy travel. Shawn at Gracy informed me they have had near 350 people who have taken that route since things opened up again last fall. Delta through Joberg was basically a non-option.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Not using a travel agent......? This is where they earn their money. That is who you should be asking.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
They rerouted me last night and it cost less but will take longer to get there....but who cares I’m retired.....got time
Let us know how the travels went when you get back.

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I'm glad that I have a year to read these kind of post before I start to worry.

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
I heard through another AH member that his Delta flight to SA was also cancelled and that he reached out to @TRAVEL EXPRESS to seek new flight options as he had self booked with Delta 6 months ago but that Travel Express is not accepting new clients right now. I assume that is bc of all the cancelled flights, rerouting etc. What a mess !! I'm still hoping Emirates is keeping it's routes to Zim in July.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NevaPuglis

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?