Debate time: .308 vs 30-06 for African game

LostinTexas_45

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Texas
I would like to see yalls opinion on using either a .308 or a 30-06 during the hunt for African game

You can't go wrong with either one. I'd suggest the 30-06 with a premium bullet

Either one with a 150-165gr premium bullet will do the trick. I would select either 165gr Swift A-Frames or 150gr TTSX Barnes bullets. When I took my 30-06 to SA I used 150gr TTSX hand loads pushed fast for max terminal performance.
I know someone who uses a 30-06 with plain cup-n-core bullets and does just fine. I just prefer the better bullets myself since they are the cheapest part of the hunt.

If you have a 308, it will work and there is no sense buying a 30-06. If you don't have a suitable rifle, then I'd go with the 06.
I do have a .308. In this conversation though I am more interested in yalls personal opinion/ experience because why not.

My primary hunting rifle in the US is a .308. If I were headed to Africa tomorrow and knew I was looking at PG only, and for some reason couldnt take my .375, its the rifle I would take. Its what I am most comfortable with, have hunted with the most, etc.. I know the rifle like the back of my own hand.

That said, if I didnt own said .308, and was specifically looking for a .30 for africa.. I'd likely buy a 30-06 rather than a 308..

There really isnt that much difference in the two if youre talking 150 or 165gr bullets... but... I like that the '06 gives me the option of 200gr and 220gr though if something like eland could potentially end up on the menu..

I personally believe that a 180 gr premium bullet is outstanding for PG. For me, that means a 30-06 or one of the .300 mags.

The Army chose the .308 over the '06 so troops could carry more ammunition and get relatively similar performance from a lower recoiling battle rifle. Not considerations of particular importance to me in that caliber range on a PG hunt.

Well, the owner where I hunted RSA, stated after I was in RSA, that the 06 was good for everything except Eland depending on the distance but the manufacture of the camp gun want him to push the 300 WM. That said I took a 375. Otherwise I would have taken my 308. I have my father-in-laws pre-64 m70 in 06 sitting in my closet. I never fired it, and I don't think he's fired more then a couple of round thru it. Wife says sell it, along with his two shotguns, but I just have an aversion to selling guns.

As a South African I use a 308 shooting 180gr TTSX and it works just fine for all my PG needs (meat hunting). I hunt in thicker bushveld conditions where shots are rarely over 150 m. I know guys that have shot eland with theirs using 180gr Game Kings. Why did I get a 308 over a 30-06? It does the job and I had grown up shooting 308's. If they had a 7x57 on the shelf when I got mine then things might have been interesting!

I honestly don’t think it matters at any reasonable hunting ranges. Both will work on all plains game although a big bull Eland or Giraffe would need a bigger caliber IMO.
I have a Win M70 30-06.

308 Win is best suited to lighter bullets eg. 165 gr.
30-06 Has the ability to shoot heavy for caliber bullets at respectable velocity 200-220 gr bullets which the 308 Win cannot do due to slower twist and lack of case capacity. The shorter action and magazine also limits the loading of these long and heavy for caliber bullets in the 308 Win. This ability of the 30-06 makes it a much more versatile African PG rifle, good enough for the largest of African plains game.

Typical barrel twists:
308 Win-1 in 12 inches
30-06 1 in 10 inches

Many DG game have been culled using the 30-06 and round nosed bullets.

For deer hunting I suppose there is no real difference but when using the heavy for caliber bullets for African PG the 30-06 is clearly the winner.

If I had to choose between the two I would take my 308 because it is a compact rifle that is easy to carry and very accurate.
If you have both take the one you are most comfortable with and use heavy per caliber bullets.

The only difference between these two calibers is a few fps of velocity. So unless you plan on shooting longer shots. There is no argument here. Within reasonable yardage, both calibers will make the animal equally as dead. The 30-06 you can stretch a little longer with the added velocity. But most hunts end in a shot under 150 yards. In that case neither caliber will have any advantage over the other.

I carry a 300 win mag. And only reason why is.... Well I haven't quite figured that out yet lol. I mean maybe the bull of a lifetime will be standing 600 yards away.

Golden Delicious versus Red Delicious. Go with the one you shoot the best and are the most confident.

Just a heads up, most rifle manufacturers, Remington, Savage, Thompson Center and Winchester are now using 1-10 twists in their .308s. You an use a 200 grain bullet with these rifles, albeit you won't get the velocity of a 300WM.

Just a heads up, most rifle manufacturers, Remington, Savage, Thompson Center and Winchester are now using 1-10 twists in their .308s. You an use a 200 grain bullet with these rifles, albeit you won't get the velocity of a 300WM.

Ruger is using a 1:10 on their 308’s as well these days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross