Debate time: .308 vs 30-06 for African game

If you are from a country that used the .303 as its standard military round, you may have grown up in a culture that chose that level of cartridge performance a standard to measure all others against. If you grew up in the USA, the .30-06 was the standard there.

So I feel that in places like Canada, Australia, and the U.K, the .308 is seen for what it is, just a little step up in power from a .303 and a modern, efficient and fully adequate cartridge for non-dangerous game. Conversely, I feel that some hunters from the USA look down on the .308 because it is just a little step down in power from their beloved and historically important .30-06, with no other reason than it doesn't quite meet the "standard". I started hunting with a .303, switched to a .308 for many years, and more recently have come to appreciate several rifles chambered in .30-06. If I could have only one though, I'd pick the .308.

Well that was an interesting read. I just purchaded my 308 Howa. Im in South Africa. So in the bush hee we are looking at 200m to 220m max. 308 great for those distances. As is the 06. I took the 308 as my girls will shoot better with it. In 165gr form it fast enough for most game at those distances. Big eland at a long distance, maybe I'll get a bit close first lol.

Finn Aagaard, my favorite writer, wrote an article some years back on this very debate and concluded the .308 was not nearly as bad as he had thought. I really need a .308 to keep company with my eight .30'06s which I have because the rifles, with the exception of one, were bought for the rifle not the caliber.

EIther, like my guide told me "Bring your favorite Deer rifle, one you can shoot accurately"

I have taken plenty of Plains game with my .308 and never felt I needed a bigger cartridge. I can't see there being a difference with a well placed shot....

I'd choose the 30-06 only if i get to wear a pith helmet, khaki outfit and waxed mustache

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!