Dealing with wounded Cape buffalo

There is a big difference in opinion and experience…my dad always told me my improved judgement in life was certainly not because I got smarter adding not that I was that smart to begin with (gotta love my tough love dad) it is this thing called experience which is the best teacher. IvW I have thoroughly enjoyed your thread and as is always the case enjoyed learning from you…thank you sir!!!

I for one enjoy hearing stories from gruff old farts with lots of wisdom. Not to name anyone :) , but please do post your field experiences, IvW. Especially what worked (or not) for the clients.

This thread has been very informative to this soon-to-be first-time cape buffalo hunter. Thanks for sharing!

Hi guys, not sure if this is the correct post to ask...

I have seen several videos where the PH follow shoot straight after the client, and even in some cases dropping the buffalo
Is this necesarry? I mean, if no danger or charge why this happens?

I would definitely not be happy with this situation...
I made a point to ask the PH before hunting if he intended to follow up immediately on my initial shot. My reason for asking as I told him was so that I knew what to expect as it would be a bit distracting if while trying to get another shot into the bull a big bore went off next to me that I didn’t anticipate. I think it’s a good idea to establish that before hunting. In my case the PH quite flatly stated that he does not shoot a client’s buffalo unless someone was in immediate danger.
Different PH’s have different approaches.

Well when I started this thread I did not visualise some of the shitshow that would develop.....be that as it may.
I was actually thinking when I started this one that we could follow up with the rest of the big 5 but alas.....

I will share my opinion and that is exactly what it is my opinion and mine only....I dont expect anybody to change there way and or what workes for them...

Most cape buffalo are killed with one well placed shot and an insurance shot once the hunters are close...sometimes it does go that easy and things can go south as with any hunting....

Calibers, 375 probably kills more buff than any other....is it ideal maybe not is it good enough for sure....I believe that a well placed shit from a 375 with the right bullet is more than adequite...is it good enoigh for a follow up when the chips are down? Maybe not but in competent hands can and has done the job many times....a few professional hunters have used only 375 H&H on everything.

Bigger is better provided one can use the rifle caliber combination to good effect.

The 400 calibers I believe are the perfect caliber for a visiting hunter hunting Cape Buffalo, 375 H&H if it is a mixed bag or one of each.

Double vs bolt....

I have always used a bolt action...partly because I could not afford a double but I am very familiar with my bolt actions and have relied on them always....never let me down....I can also easily load my own ammo without the need for regulation and can just sight in. I can also load to the speed I prefer which for me is min 2200fps and max 2400fps with 2300fps being the sweet spot.

CRF is a must for me and my favourite rifles for the task are ZKKBRNO 602 based.

Bullets....

Another much debated point and probably my main reason for starting this thread....
I am of the opinion that some hunters who have been killed may have survived the ordeal had they been using the right bullets....

Yes we can say that for many years the norm was a soft for the first shot and solids after that....I however do not agree with this for Cape Buffalo...
A premium grade expanding bullet is all that is needed for Cape Buffalo..from the first to the last...
A round nosed full metal jacket is the worst in my opinion and causes the least damage in and out and often perveived to have no effect..

Buffalo that have been wounded and that are running on adrenaline can take an amazing amount of lead to bring down.

A controlled expansion bullet that retains max weight expands to at least 2x diameter and does not exit is the best stopper coming or going for buffalo.

I do not like Barnes TSX some only use them which is fine and I consider them to be premium but not for me.
TBBC, Bitterroot, Swift A frame and then the Rhino bullets I prefer they expand to 2.5x caliber so for my 500 Jeff that means 1.275 inches of expansion....570gr traveling at 2300fps they are devestating....causing a lot more damage than round nose solid ever can and the bullet being bonded and only having lead in the front section has no problem smashing neck/spine vertabrae or hip bones/joints...

If solids are used for backup, it takes a lot of control not to fire while the buffalo is running with others in close proximity as the chance of wounding another is a real posibility.
Ifbusing solids I can only recommend Brass solids with a big meplat or concave front such as Hydros....but I dont use solids on buffalo as they are not needed and controlled expansion bullets are more effective...

Often it is said that a solid is needed in order to reach the vitals of a wounded buff that is moving directly away from the hunter....I disagree and always ask "If the vitals could not be hit while the buff was broadside where exactly are you going to aim in order to now hit the vitals from behind?"
Best option to anchor a wounded buff moving directly away is to aim and hit what you can see as oposed to trying to hit the vitals which are for all practical purposes on the front side of the buffalo which in my opinion is either one of the hip joints or the spine above the root of the tail...executed with a premium expansion bullet will anchor the buffalo or at the least pull up the hand brake so to speak...
It is also often suggested that for a charging buffalo that a solid is needed to brain the buffalo through the boss....which is not the case...a charging buffalo has his nose and head up and the initial shot placement for me is to place it to tey and hit the spine as it it dips down very low much easier shit to execute than trying to hit the bobbing brain....
If you fail to stop it and the head drops you shoot for the brain and at that close even if you need to shoot throigh some boss the right expanding bullet will do it no problem....
Stopping a side running buff where the neck dips down and meets the shoulder will drop him on the spot if not possible send it into the boiler room....

Before I get blasted again this is my opinion and each can do and use what they want.
What has always worked for me using is 570gr Rhino controlled expansion bullets from my 500 Jeff and abive shot placements.....

Now I have to cook some T bones with thick cut potatoes on the fire.....

Let the masters rip it apart.....

Nothing to rip apart here, well stated, thanks for sharing.

IvW’s experience more or less aligns with my own thoughts. I would take a 470 or a for initial and follow up actions, I would be prepared with solids, Hydros or equivalent but would expect to use expanding bullets, I would generally choose TSX but am not welded onto them.

As my buffalo experience totals zero, I will continue to observe this thread for more ideas, but I feel I’m on the right track.

made a point to ask the PH before hunting if he intended to follow up immediately on my initial shot. My reason for asking as I told him was so that I knew what to expect as it would be a bit distracting if while trying to get another shot into the bull a big bore went off next to me that I didn’t anticipate. I think it’s a good idea to establish that before hunting. In my case the PH quite flatly stated that he does not shoot a client’s buffalo unless someone was in immediate danger.
Different PH’s have different approaches.
Ditto: also before the hunt the PH that I had observed my handling of my firearm and he expressed his satisfaction of the handing and his expectations. We came to the understanding that the backup shot, if required would only be as a last resort and only if anyone in our party would be endangered.

Kev, I know the economy is bad in Zim but do you need to economise on the ridges of those ridge backs!
Not the Queen's hounds for sure, but they earn their food! The one was just getting over a mauling by a leopard...

Well when I started this thread I did not visualise some of the shitshow that would develop.....be that as it may.
I was actually thinking when I started this one that we could follow up with the rest of the big 5 but alas.....
The sane members never expect a sh*tshow. They happen and I try my best to help avert the calamity.
Calibers, 375 probably kills more buff than any other....is it ideal maybe not is it good enough for sure....I believe that a well placed shot from a 375 with the right bullet is more than adequite..

Bigger is better provided one can use the rifle caliber combination to good effect.
Always better to have a good shooter. Every experienced hunter and PH reiterates that sage point. "provided" the shooter can use the caliber well. Otherwise....
The 400 calibers I believe are the perfect caliber for a visiting hunter hunting Cape Buffalo, 375 H&H if it is a mixed bag or one of each.
Spot on.
Bullets....

Yes we can say that for many years the norm was a soft for the first shot and solids after that....I however do not agree with this for Cape Buffalo...

A premium grade expanding bullet is all that is needed for Cape Buffalo..from the first to the last...
I'm with you here.
A round nosed full metal jacket is the worst in my opinion ........
After witnessing the result of an internal ricochet with one I could not agree more.

I do not like Barnes TSX some only use them which is fine and I consider them to be premium but not for me.
What don't you like? Just for my information. You have likely seen something I have not.

I did my best! LOL

The Cape Buffalo is the DG animal that is hunted the most. It is not the most dangerous of the big 5 yet it accounts for many injuries and death to even Professional Hunters....
What are your opinions with regards to dealing with a wounded Cape Buffalo?
In particular rifle, bullet and caliber choice for the follow up...
I will post mine after some responses.
IVW,

that is so funny, you a PH asking us, the regular folk (clients) what is best for following up a cape buffalo. :)

so, my thoughts, probably a big caliber with a big bullet and/hard/tough soft and use your skill to make a good shot.

Tanks,

Wow, you take every opportunity to trash South Africa I have already done it in my post so now you take this one point and bring it up to trash South Africa even more.
Watch a bit more Youtube and you will see it happens in your favorite ZIM also where PH fires immediatly after the client.

Don't let me open up a can of worms on how some ZIM PH's allow SA ph/outfiters to bring clients and never see their trophies there are bad apples everywhere and that is why we love this forum to learn and share experience.

You, are just like anti hunting reporters these days taking one bit from a whole article and smearing the hunting industry making up your judgement.
I know what he means about weak PHs, oh wait that was Zambia never mind.

My experience with buff is only three animals. I tagged along on two hunts before my first buff hunt in 2021.

Of the two I got to tag along for, I saw one buff shot with a 375 and one with a 416. I much preferred the reaction to the 416 and promptly purchased one (Kimber Caprivi 416 RM) for my hunt with lots of time to practice. All three animals only required one shot (each, obviously). All were dead within 100 yards of where they were shot. All were broadside shots within 80 yards. I don't think my experience is typical.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a 375 on buff if other animals were on the menu. If only buff, I'd prefer my 416.

I'd follow up a wounded buff with whatever I was carrying with premium softs. I'd listen very carefully to my PH. I'd prefer my PH was carrying a double of 470NE or bigger. And I'd prefer that we gave the buff at least 30 mins before we started tracking.

IvW, I disagree with you on using softs for backup. After many, many buffalo both mine and clients I have never witnessed a solid versus boss ricochet. For backup my .470 stays loaded with Woodleigh solids.

I will share my opinion and that is exactly what it is my opinion and mine only....I dont expect anybody to change there way and or what workes for them...

Most cape buffalo are killed with one well placed shot and an insurance shot once the hunters are close...sometimes it does go that easy and things can go south as with any hunting....

Calibers, 375 probably kills more buff than any other....is it ideal maybe not is it good enough for sure....I believe that a well placed shot from a 375 with the right bullet is more than adequite...is it good enough for a follow up when the chips are down? Maybe not but in competent hands it can and has done the job many times....a few professional hunters have used only 375 H&H on everything.

Double vs bolt....

I have always used a bolt action...partly because I could not afford a double but I am very familiar with my bolt actions and have relied on them always....never let me down....I can also easily load my own ammo without the need for regulation and can just sight in. I can also load to the speed I prefer which for me is min 2200fps and max 2400fps with 2300fps being the sweet spot.

CRF is a must for me and my favourite rifles for the task are ZKKBRNO 602 based.

Bullets....

Another much debated point and probably my main reason for starting this thread....
I am of the opinion that some hunters who have been killed may have survived the ordeal had they been using the right bullets....

A round nosed full metal jacket is the worst in my opinion and causes the least damage in and out and often perveived to have no effect..

Buffalo that have been wounded and that are running on adrenaline can take an amazing amount of lead to bring down.

A controlled expansion bullet that retains max weight expands to at least 2x diameter and does not exit is the best stopper coming or going for buffalo.

TBBC, Bitterroot, Swift A frame and then the Rhino bullets I prefer they expand to 2.5x caliber so for my 500 Jeff that means 1.275 inches of expansion....570gr traveling at 2300fps they are devestating....causing a lot more damage than round nose solid ever can and the bullet being bonded and only having lead in the front section has no problem smashing neck/spine vertabrae or hip bones/joints...

If solids are used for backup, it takes a lot of control not to fire while the buffalo is running with others in close proximity as the chance of wounding another is a real posibility.
Ifbusing solids I can only recommend Brass solids with a big meplat or concave front such as Hydros....but I dont use solids on buffalo as they are not needed and controlled expansion bullets are more effective...

Often it is said that a solid is needed in order to reach the vitals of a wounded buff that is moving directly away from the hunter....I disagree and always ask "If the vitals could not be hit while the buff was broadside where exactly are you going to aim in order to now hit the vitals from behind?"
Best option to anchor a wounded buff moving directly away is to aim and hit what you can see as oposed to trying to hit the vitals which are for all practical purposes on the front side of the buffalo which in my opinion is either one of the hip joints or the spine above the root of the tail...executed with a premium expansion bullet will anchor the buffalo or at the least pull up the hand brake so to speak...
It is also often suggested that for a charging buffalo that a solid is needed to brain the buffalo through the boss....which is not the case...a charging buffalo has his nose and head up and the initial shot placement for me is to place it to tey and hit the spine as it it dips down very low much easier shit to execute than trying to hit the bobbing brain....
If you fail to stop it and the head drops you shoot for the brain and at that close even if you need to shoot throigh some boss the right expanding bullet will do it no problem....
Stopping a side running buff where the neck dips down and meets the shoulder will drop him on the spot if not possible send it into the boiler room....

Before I get blasted again this is my opinion and each can do and use what they want.
What has always worked for me using is 570gr Rhino controlled expansion bullets from my 500 Jeff and abive shot placements.....

Now I have to cook some T bones with thick cut potatoes on the fire.....

I think it's nearly unanimous, we'd like to hear the stories so please, do tell.

We'll deflect the riff-raff. ;)

IvW, I disagree with you on using softs for backup. After many, many buffalo both mine and clients I have never witnessed a solid versus boss ricochet. For backup my .470 stays loaded with Woodleigh solids.

May I ask, have you experienced it with proper softs?

I distinctly remember from Ian Nyschens' Months of the Sun where he wrote that he also preferred a soft when going after wounde buff in the jesse when expecting a charge. Made enough sense to me.

May I ask, have you experienced it with proper softs?

I distinctly remember from Ian Nyschens' Months of the Sun where he wrote that he also preferred a soft when going after wounde buff in the jesse when expecting a charge. Made enough sense to me.
Agree. I only carry a solid in my left barrel on the initial stalk in case of a quick request at a going away shot. Once we follow up and expecting a possible confrontation, both barrels are loaded with 570gr Swift A Frames.

I understand for you guys ammo is an issue. I never use FMJ round nose solids on DG. I only use then on tiny stuff to save the cape.

A 570gr Rhino controlled expansion bullet from a 500 Jeff travelling at 2300fps hammers buffalo coming or going makes no differance....

I have never needed a solid for buffalo hunting or stopping them and with 2.5x caliber expansion on the Rhino bullet the wound channel and effect is just devestatingly effective. The bullet easily smashes through any bone or boss encountered.

Using a double depending on age or make can be very restrictive on useable ammo however classic they may be.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!