www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, USA, Canada
We have always stated to all of our hunters how dangerous Bushbuck are. Majority of the time, we get a surprised expression simply due to the size of the animal. Among our PH's in camp, we have often wondered whether Bushbuck are as aggressive in other areas as they are in the Eastern Cape. One theory was that this could be because of generations of Bushbuck hunting over hounds which is traditional to our areas, still to this day. The theory is that this could have caused the aggressive rams that got away from the dogs to breed over many decades. The ones that stop, fight and ultimately kill dogs were the ones that survived. Don't think that the theory is as crazy as it sounds. We even speak about certain areas as having "angry" rams.

Anyways, my head PH Nick was on the wrong end of a wounded Cape Bushbuck today. Luckily the bone stopped the horn from going through. Couple of stitches, a tetanus shot and anti biotics should have him back on his feet sooner rather than later. A few inches to the left would have been a different story.

IMG-20220728-WA0020.jpg

Anybody else had any run ins with Non-dangerous, dangerous game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick is a super fellow and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Regarding your theory, I think everything and person in the Eastern Cape is hard as nails, so my theory is the water supply! Although, I suspect Rigby is thinking "'tis but a flesh wound young man" ;)

Wow yes Bushbuck are bad all over I would say !
Had a couple of nasty incidents with Steinbok & a few less with Duiker wounded, look so cute but not !
Yes but in the shoulder how did that happen, did he charge it lol ?

Our hunters cant believe .Nick is iron man . All wish speedy recovery.

Wow yes Bushbuck are bad all over I would say !
Had a couple of nasty incidents with Steinbok & a few less with Duiker wounded, look so cute but not !
Yes but in the shoulder how did that happen, did he charge it lol ?
Ram was wounded and he sent his dog in. He said it was very thick. The ram was trying to get a hold of his dog, and when the dog ran passed him to get away from the ram on the chagre, the ram obviously picked him out and charged him. Said he thought the ram only hit him with his head, but managed to wrestle the ram to the ground and called one of the trackers to help hold it down. Then finished it off with his sidearm. Only after the episode he realised that he has been poked.

I have hunted all the legal subspecies of Bushbuck scattered around Africa and found them brave, smart and ready to fight back when needed and they are able. I am always watchful when approaching one that is down. Wonderful animals among my most respected, favorite trophies. Often overlooked by new African hunters. Kindest Regards

I have hunted all the legal subspecies of Bushbuck scattered around Africa and found them brave, smart and ready to fight back when needed and they are able. I am always watchful when approaching one that is down. Wonderful animals among my most respected, favorite trophies. Often overlooked by new African hunters. Kindest Regards
Wonderful words. Appreciate your post. Thank you.

A few inches to the left? . . . "shades of Steve Irwin!"

Can you post a photo of the bushbuck?

A few inches to the left? . . . "shades of Steve Irwin!"

Can you post a photo of the bushbuck?
I will see if I can get a photo. Poor chap probably heavily sedated at the moment.

Dang, glad Nick is okay!

The Bushbuck is one animal I was not successful in getting my last trip to Africa. Only had time to hunt them one morning but did not see one to take. I think they are just a cool looking animal. Next trip I will hunt them again.

The war story of the twelve foot tall Bushbuck, cleared an eight foot fence chasing the dog and I jumped it in order to save the dog. Finally, after a half hour wrestling match I was able to finally have the upper hand after getting impaled.

Nick is a very lucky man, a few inches over and there are some rather important vessels that could spring a rather bad leak. Get well soon.

Congrats to the hunter. I hope the tip reflects the dedication and energy expended in retrieving the trophy.

Last edited:
I shot my Limpopo Bushbuck with my .338 Mag and he went down like all the other plains game taken with that rifle. That was on a river bank at night and we had to walk a Hippo trail to recover my Bush buck . That will keep you on your toes!

WOW. Glad Nick is alright. Could of been much worse. I’ve taken one in the East Cape and 4 more from other areas. I’m cautious around them all. I really enjoy hunting them, but you have to respect them.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg