Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF DU SCI NRA
Hunted
CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
Need a new blot gun for Dangerous Game 404 jeff or 375 rum and why.

If DG only, I'd go with the 404 Jeff. Available from CZ which of course means CRF which I prefer even if the likelihood of push feed being a problem is very low. With bullets up to 430gr in weight, versus 350gr for the 375, again I prefer the 404. In the great energy vs momentum debate, I side on momentum being more important when it comes to DG. And then there's just the cool factor and the nostalgia of the 404.

If you're wanting a dual DG/PG purpose type gun, then the 375 RUM would be the better choice with it's better longer range ballistics.

One thought
You might find 404 Jeff shells in Africa if you need them You wont find 375 RUM period.
My partner had to find some shells last week on our trip because his reloads were screwed up (don't ask he knows he screwed up) Good thing he was shooting a 308.

Bart, your money, your choice. I had the opportunity to shoot a .375 RUM and I did not like it. The benchwork will be un-pleasant. I do have a .404 Jeff and love it, but I don't use it much, it's now just for fondling and nostalgia :cool:. I still, and always will believe that you need no more than a .375 H&H. Loaded with quality 300, 350 or 380gr ammo you have all you'll ever need for any DG on earth. Loaded with 235, 250 or 270gr ammo you have all you'll ever need for any PG on earth. Pleasant to shoot and carry as well. Let your PH carry the heavy artillery, that's what he gets paid for.

404 as majority of DG shooting is well within 120m. A bigger hole the better and with the 404, very manageable recoil.

404 as majority of DG shooting is well within 120m. A bigger hole the better and with the 404, very manageable recoil.

+ 1.

A larger, slower moving projectile beats a smaller, faster moving projectile for large game hands down all day every day, in my opinion anyway !

No contest, if your only choices are 404 and 375 RUM, then I'd be grabbing the 404.

I don't own a DG rifle if any of you find you have one you don't like send it to me and I'll take good care of it for you.:laughing: just yesterday I was talking to a friend that shoots both the 375 H&H Mag and a 416 Rigby he said that the recoil from the 416 Rigby is much better on his shoulder then the 375 H&H go figure.

just yesterday I was talking to a friend that shoots both the 375 H&H Mag and a 416 Rigby he said that the recoil from the 416 Rigby is much better on his shoulder then the 375 H&H go figure.

..the .416 is most probably a better fit for him, Bob..

404 Jeffery would be a logical choice, a lot of history, a classic dangerous game gun.

:p:pWould have to say the 375 RUM would be out if I were in you shoes, you own 3 rifles chambered in 375 H&H so why even consider the RUM, will it make the animal DRT before the bullet reaches it, compared to the H&H? If you are serious, the 404 or even one of the Rigby chamberings is what I would recommend for a jump up from the 375 H&H.... Then again there is always the 577 Tyranasaur. Good luck in your quest.:p:p:heh:

:p:pWould have to say the 375 RUM would be out if I were in you shoes, you own 3 rifles chambered in 375 H&H so why even consider the RUM, will it make the animal DRT before the bullet reaches it, compared to the H&H? If you are serious, the 404 or even one of the Rigby chamberings is what I would recommend for a jump up from the 375 H&H.... Then again there is always the 577 Tyranasaur. Good luck in your quest.:p:p:heh:

Bart as i think you have mentioned a .450 rigby in the past, and have a penchant for big calibres forget the .577 tyranasaur and stay classic, what about a heym b/a rifle in .577 nitro, or .600 nitro ? that should keep you happy :cloud9:;)

Need a new blot gun for Dangerous Game 404 jeff or 375 rum and why.

I have a friend who is working on a .404 Jeffery at the moment. It's going to handle your DG and do a perfectly good job on any plains game opportunities you have as well.

As a rifle specifically for dangerous game, do you want to send a .375 cal 300 grainer down range at 3,000fps or is it more sensible to send a .423 cal 400 grain bullet at 2,150fps? The latter seems to be the obvious choice with history proving that a 400, 480 or 500grain bullet at around 2,200fps is the perfect combination for the dangerous game hunter.

The .375 gives you 30% more kick in the pants for the extra velocity. If you are happy to cop the extra recoil, then I would step up to the .416 Rigby or .458 Lott.

Decisions, decisions. Enjoy.

.243 its all you'll ever need!!! JK I think either one will kill them dead as a stone. If I was buying a big bore I woud go with the .416 Rigby, Ive just always wanted one.

Going for buff going thru south africa cant have same cal gun so want my 450 rigby and x rifle with me thats why I ask.

Going for buff going thru south africa cant have same cal gun so want my 450 rigby and x rifle with me thats why I ask.

how many buffalo you going for? if its one why bother taking more rifles than your .450 rigby?

If your taking the .450 Rigby and want a #2 that changes things; I'd take the .375 in any flavor you like and then you have a good plains game rifle. Odds are ou want have any trouble, but if you do you'll have the .375 as back up.

If your taking the .450 Rigby and want a #2 that changes things; I'd take the .375 in any flavor you like and then you have a good plains game rifle. Odds are ou want have any trouble, but if you do you'll have the .375 as back up.

Thats some very good advice and a good way to look at it.

As most of you know from my posts I like heavy uniniqe calibers. ammo seperation doesnot scare me Ill just rent a gun (Even Though With Baggage Fees What They Are That Would Piss Me Off). This Safari Is next year So I have time To pratice . Two is the number. Can a 404 Jeff be pressed into service as a pg rifle? I Like the SD of the 404 Jeff better for DG but if I go for plaines game might as well bring my CZ 550 375 H&H (That Shoots.75ingroups). I mean the 450 rigby is a sldgehammer and carries a ziess low power scope faliure is unlikely but things do happen. When I fly thousands of miles spend lots of cash I want what I paid for to live up to my expectations.Some of that reposability lies with me bringing the right equipment being fit and being able to shoot and most important listening to my ph.

As most of you know from my posts I like heavy uniniqe calibers. ammo seperation doesnot scare me Ill just rent a gun (Even Though With Baggage Fees What They Are That Would Piss Me Off). This Safari Is next year So I have time To pratice . Two is the number. Can a 404 Jeff be pressed into service as a pg rifle? I Like the SD of the 404 Jeff better for DG but if I go for plaines game might as well bring my CZ 550 375 H&H (That Shoots.75ingroups). I mean the 450 rigby is a sldgehammer and carries a ziess low power scope faliure is unlikely but things do happen. When I fly thousands of miles spend lots of cash I want what I paid for to live up to my expectations.Some of that reposability lies with me bringing the right equipment being fit and being able to shoot and most important listening to my ph.

bart you and all the other people on here know the .375h&h that you already have will work perfectly as your 2nd rifle for this trip. But i think you are looking for a reason to acquire another rifle:beer: so i and every other person here that always needs another rifle give you permission to buy a .404 because you dont have one, and we all agree that you need one for this hunt. iron sights and a scope fine for plains game. :thumb:

Thank you For you well thought out validation of my need of a 404 jeffries. Next comes the task of procurment of said rifle and acutrutrment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg