Dakota Arms still open?

A square would full length bed their stocks. As a result zero chance of moisture getting in and tied for most accurate guns owned (even those featuring a 460 weatherby necked down to 338.). I've actually never had a problem with a Wood stock gun. Handload practice shooting it bedding trigger job no problemo! If I lived in the Pacific Northwest or Alaska I might change my mind with certain guns. For Africa in our summer their winter no problemo. On the other hand Remington had some problems with floating certain calibers so they had to add a bump back in which the bbl would rest against! What do they call it barrel whip?

Jim Carmichael did some interesting research on bedding. His conclusion was that light barrels benefited from a light pressure point at the end of the fore-end and heavy barrels typically performed best when free floated.

jim carmicheal obviously did not understand correct bedding of actions then.
pressure on a barrel is purely a zig to counteract a zag, in this case a zag in the action bedding.
yet another case of people thinking someone is god because they are a gunwriter.
bruce.

jim carmicheal obviously did not understand correct bedding of actions then.
pressure on a barrel is purely a zig to counteract a zag, in this case a zag in the action bedding.
yet another case of people thinking someone is god because they are a gunwriter.
bruce.

Not sure as I’ve never tried it, I just thought it was an interesting comment from a man with more experience than most.

wab,
gun writers are just a cog in the marketing wheel.
they create the urban myths that make life easier for marketers of products to sell lesser quality products.
proper bedding is now well understood, but takes more work to do.
barrel pressure can improve grouping, but not in all cases, and not with a properly bedded action.
and it can vary with weather and how the forend relates to different holds.
ruger took the forend thing further by bending their actions in early m77s, a step further away from the ideal.
an example of proper bedding is when i took a rifle that had not been fired for 15 years and it was perfectly zeroed .
if a properly bedded and floated barreled action will not group, it probably needs a new barrel.
bruce.

I don't disagree with you Bruce. Most of my rifles have the barrels free floated. The exceptions being my .375 and .458 Lott. These are bedded all the way out and perform well that way. I tend to give Jim Carmichel more credit than the typical gun writer as he was quite an accomplished shooter and gun tinkerer in his own right. Bill

does anyone remember a gun writer called rick jamieson?
he wrote some good stuff, and explored ballistic coefficient with chronograph evidence.
this put the cat among the pigeons, as one thing he discovered was that the same bullet fired from different guns had different ballisic coefficients.
what killed him was that he was a wildcatter.
he had a patent on a cartridge that winchester brought out as i think the 300 wsm.
when he pursued it in court and won the case, never another gunwriting job came his way.
that is how gun writing works.
they are part of the advertising/marketing machine or they are out.
this reminds me of the story of john browning when he was designing guns for winchester.
they paid him a lump sum for each design, but one day he presented what was to be the browning a5 shotgun to them with the demand for a payment on each gun sold.
the executive he was talking to expressed anger and told him to get out.
so he went to browning and the gun was a great success, as were further designs produced by browning including pistols.
bruce.

does anyone remember a gun writer called rick jamieson?
he wrote some good stuff, and explored ballistic coefficient with chronograph evidence.
this put the cat among the pigeons, as one thing he discovered was that the same bullet fired from different guns had different ballisic coefficients.
what killed him was that he was a wildcatter.
he had a patent on a cartridge that winchester brought out as i think the 300 wsm.
when he pursued it in court and won the case, never another gunwriting job came his way.
that is how gun writing works.
they are part of the advertising/marketing machine or they are out.
this reminds me of the story of john browning when he was designing guns for winchester.
they paid him a lump sum for each design, but one day he presented what was to be the browning a5 shotgun to them with the demand for a payment on each gun sold.
the executive he was talking to expressed anger and told him to get out.
so he went to browning and the gun was a great success, as were further designs produced by browning including pistols.
bruce.
Rick Jamison is now writing a column called Practical Handloading for Handloader magazine.

This thread addresses your first question but I’m not sure if there’s been any news since.
Roundhill Group...wonder what they will do? Read an article that says they just want Remington to make great rifles.

Roundhill Group...wonder what they will do? Read an article that says they just want Remington to make great rifles.
I hope they stick to what they have said and hope they can begin operations sooner rather than later. It seems like good news for Remington and Dakota

I hope they stick to what they have said and hope they can begin operations sooner rather than later. It seems like good news for Remington and Dakota
Me too. I hate to see American gun companies decline like Remington did. Its a punch in the gut for a historic brand. I like to look of the Dakota 86, but having never seen one in person I cannot speak to the quality/reliability to price ration. I do like having options though.

They reopened the Ilion plant earlier this month after reaching an agreement with the UMWA local. From what they are saying, they will be starting with the 870 shotgun as the first product to resume production. They should have 200 workers back by the end of April.

They reopened the Ilion plant earlier this month after reaching an agreement with the UMWA local. From what they are saying, they will be starting with the 870 shotgun as the first product to resume production. They should have 200 workers back by the end of April.

Gods, these gun makers have got to read the writing on the wall and get out of NY and other similar states.

Bruce... I think there is some truth to what you say about gun writers, but I think you're painting all of them, wrongfully, with the same brush.

Hello All, I'm new to this forum. I'm in the process of buying a LH Dakota Traveler in 416 Rem. Mag. Does anyone have any advice regarding the Traveler? This is also my first Dakota...

Welcome to the forum.

I don't own a traveler, but the Dakota I do have is fantastic. I really think you can not go wrong. That 416 rem is a rifle that can hunt anything you every wanted to in Africa.

Hello All, I'm new to this forum. I'm in the process of buying a LH Dakota Traveler in 416 Rem. Mag. Does anyone have any advice regarding the Traveler? This is also my first Dakota...
I have a LH Dakota 416 Rigby that is a 1/2 " gun. Amazing shooter with CEB bullets. Hope they still support the guns going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg