CZ w/AHR #3 package or CZ 550 Safari Classics Custom

If you have the time to wait for a deal some good ones pop up on the AHR guns. I got the one in the attached picture for around what you'd pay for one of the cz safari classics or just a bit more.

Man that’s a nice looking rifle!

Can you picture a nice english double with a Synthetic stock?

I've a CZ 550 that Wayne has performed his #2 upgrade package on. Already had the factory kevlar stock (B&C). I'm extremely happy with how the rifle came out. I'm budgeting to have Wayne upgrade a similary CZ550 in .308 that I've sitting in the safe for this fall.

AHR does some fine work!

my preference would be to stick with wood stocks. i had AHR build me a 505 Gibbs and it was a fantastic rifle!

full

-Matt
What sight are you using in this picture?

What sight are you using in this picture?

I'm using a Trijicon RMR (the exact sight is currently for sale in the classifieds).

-matt

Tread carefully around synthetic stocks on heavy calibre rifles. One of mine has recently developed a crack. True, wooden stocks can also crack, but I think a proper dense piece if wood is a better option .
Downside is that good wooden stocks are pricey

Might give thought to .404 using both 300 grn and 400grn. I do not have access to balistic info on .404, but I am guessing the 300grns would be close to .375 h&h .300 grn. Maybe someone with a ballistic program can help me out on this. I would be interested on comparing recoil between the two calbers using .300grn.

Tread carefully around synthetic stocks on heavy calibre rifles. One of mine has recently developed a crack. True, wooden stocks can also crack, but I think a proper dense piece if wood is a better option .
Downside is that good wooden stocks are pricey
That's why I would glass bed the rifle. It makes it more consistent and prevents cracking on either stock usually.

I tried posting this question earlier, but it did not work? Does anyone have a ballistic program that shows ballistics and recoil of a .404J using 300grn bullets and how that compares with .300H&H. I do not have access to this information.

Id think a wood stock is like a fingerprint. No 2 are ever completely the same so in a way the rifle will be alive and shoot that way with that stock in that particular corner of time in the world. I know philosophically im splitting hairs, but there's a soul to it if you catch my drift, either way you can't go wrong. As long as we are enjoying ourselves. We truly are lucky to have great conversation and kinship on this forum, thank you all.

I tried posting this question earlier, but it did not work? Does anyone have a ballistic program that shows ballistics and recoil of a .404J using 300grn bullets and how that compares with .300H&H. I do not have access to this information.

Lon,

I did a quick search for 300 gr bullets and I don't believe any of the major bullet manufacturers produce a 300 gr. I looked at Swift, Barnes, Woodleigh, Peregrine, and GS Custom.

The lightest I could find was a GS Custom 320gr HV @ 2700fps using max load of H380 from their website. Woodleigh and Peregrine list a 350 gr as the lightest weight.

If you have a source for 300 gr bullets, RL15 from 89-91 grains should get you 2600 - 2700+ fps from Nick Harvey's practical reloading manual.

Approximate data with 200 yard zero, inches:

320GS HV @ 2700fps with BC .350

100 yards: 2.2in

200 yards: 0

300 yards: -9.3

400 Gr Swift @ 2300fps with BC .375

100 yards: 3.3

300 yards: -13.0

Edge

Lon I too tried to find some loading data on 300 Gr. bullets in a 404 Jeffery. Like Egde, I could not find any source of 300 Gr. bullets for that caliber. I had intended to use Quick Load and Nikon Spot On to get some data. All of my efforts were for naught.

North Fork shows a 340 gr

upload_2018-6-23_18-15-24.png

Found this option, Hawk Bullets, but don't know anything about them.
http://hawkbullets.com/bullet-selection.html#/
View attachment 235026

Load Date: https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/404-Jeffery/470 (need a subscription)
Shows Barnes spitzer in 350 gr available.

Hawk can build you any shape/weight. I have had them make me some custom bullets.

I stayed with the major bullet makers I thought he would have access to in my quick search. 320gr was the lightest by GS.

Lon,

I did a quick search for 300 gr bullets and I don't believe any of the major bullet manufacturers produce a 300 gr. I looked at Swift, Barnes, Woodleigh, Peregrine, and GS Custom.

The lightest I could find was a GS Custom 320gr HV @ 2700fps using max load of H380 from their website. Woodleigh and Peregrine list a 350 gr as the lightest weight.

If you have a source for 300 gr bullets, RL15 from 89-91 grains should get you 2600 - 2700+ fps from Nick Harvey's practical reloading manual.

Approximate data with 200 yard zero, inches:

320GS HV @ 2700fps with BC .350

100 yards: 2.2in

300 yards: -9.3

400 Gr Swift @ 2300fps with BC .375

100 yards: 3.3

300 yards: -13.0

Edge
Hi Edge, You gave me the exact info that I needed! It is very much appreciated!

Hi Edge, You gave me the exact info that I needed! It is very much appreciated!
A long time ago I had a 450-400 dbl. 3 1/4 that I loaded .300grn hawk bullets for non dangerous game. What a joy to shoot and deadly accurate. Wish I still had the rifle! Wish I could reload!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg