Cz 550 Roulette

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by JPbowhunter, May 8, 2019.

1. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    Yeah Can't see myself using them on game other than maybe roo culling, thanks for the advice on their performance.

I'll save oryx for hunting providing i can get them

2. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

paul,
    did you flinch at the misfires?
    bruce.

3. Dean Macdonald

Dean Macdonald AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England
    Wow, I knew they were cheap, but that is terrible performance on game. I have only used them for target practice, but I never would have given it a second thought to use them for hunting if I ran out of the premium stuff. I wonder if the performance of the PPU is the same for other calibers as well, or just specifically bad in the 9.3x62?

4. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    I'm using the PPU stuff in 375 for target practice as well.
    Sticking with Swift A-Frames for shots on game.

5. PaulT

PaulT AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Hey Y'all. I have absolutely NO experience with PPU in any other calibre other than 9.3x62mm. The rounds that I did buy I bought basically because I had no intent on keeping my x62mm for very long and so I didn't want to invest in dies etc for a rifle that I was going to be selling soon.
    My local gun-shop owner almost gave me the PPU stuff to try out and report back on performance.

To be fair, the rounds that have gone off on firing have absolutely pole-axed the deer I am shooting at but the recovered slugs are almost a round ball having expanding dramatically (most shots have been between 60 and 80yds).
    From a total of around 80 rounds fired I have at least 15 that have not gone off on the first firing.
    Note; my experience is only from one small batch sample in only one calibre .

My 9.3x62mm is now for sale and as it is so much effort to create a shooting opportunity with Sambar deer I have no given them the flick for hunting with.

6. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    I think all manufacturers produce the odd bad egg. I watched the Zim hunters test a few years back. A whole variety of actions gave trouble. However the CZ can be close to perfect with work as well as the Winchester action. I had problems with my 458 win mag with short (480 gr Hornady) flat meplat solids. Longer solids were great ( monolithics Peregrine 450 gr and up and 500 gr Hornady). The rifle is a solid performer now. I think all DG weapons need to be tested like your life depends on it. At funny angles and with shakes/wobbles/bumps. I used dummy rounds and tried everything. Lon talks about trigger and safety but I am OK with CZ because of the way that I use it. Carry on an empty chamber-only load chamber when needed. My trigger is good, I polished the trigger surfaces with 600 grit sandpaper.

7. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    After some issues with the gun shop forgetting to send the rifle then fluffing around with the paper work the rifle finally made it. Lighter than i expected though it shoulders beautifully well and the factory seem to suit me well.

Tomorrow is the long weekend here so I'll take it out for a shot and get some better pics! 20190607_135038.jpeg

ZG47, Dean Macdonald and gesch like this.

8. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2019

9. marcosfal

marcosfal New Member

Nice score! I just shot my 550 FS a few days ago. I wanted to shoot it pretty bad as I’ve had it for several months. No 9.3x62 in my neck of the woods so I ordered a couple of boxes of the Prvi 286 grain. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy considering the rifle was brand new in the box. All of the 40 cartridges went off and other than being a little dirty, they seemed more than adequate for practice. I needed the brass anyway to make some slightly lighter loads for my 16 year old. She shoots .22, 5.56 and 6.5x55 now.
    I only shot with the open sights, off sticks and at 75 meters. My girls were shooting their rifles and I didn’t want to disturb their time by moving the gong. Our bench is too low and it greatly exaggerates felt recoil so I felt standing or kneeling and sticks would be better.
    I don’t know if I’ll scope it just yet. The only scopes we have are some very old Weavers and I have one Vortex 1-4 that is on my FN. The FAL handles much better sans scope but I really like the CZ’s feel without the scope as well. It’s definitely getting a rear aperture and going to RJ Renner for some stock work and red recoil pad. I may mill a clip slot in the receiver for stripper clipped rounds. There is enough room to do so. All of my other Mauser sporters have them and I just enjoy loading them like that.
    I want another CZ 550 in 7x57 or 6.5SE.
    Marco

10. Fastrig

Fastrig AH Veteran

Nice rifle!! Picked up a CZ550 300 win mag in premo condition a couple of weeks ago, and it's a shooter. Took my son to the range and he put 5 shots within a silver dollar grouping right out of the bag. Was going to be giving him my AR but he asked if he could have the CZ instead....he's taking the CZ and I traded the AR in on 308 win I've been eyeing to go along with my Mauser M12 9.3x62. The CZ is on the heavy side so it's going to a young buck to haul around, the old man is getting the lighter rifles :whistle:

ZG47 and 7x57Joe like this.

11. blacks

blacks AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
    Woodleigh without a doubt, perfect in the 9.3 (y)

12. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    I have a CZ in 9.3. I just finished a hunt in SA with it and was more than happy. Simply bang flop with 286NP. Sable Waterbuck etc.

Fastrig likes this.

13. Milan

Milan AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA
    My 9.3x62 CZ 550 is one of the smoothest actions I have. I also use Norma Oryx 285gr when possible. Except for lighter game I do use PPU or S&B. Never had issues with PPU but have now had S&B, albeit in different caliber, with few misfires (the newer black boxed ammo). The old green& yellow boxed ammo was always a solid performer.

Fastrig likes this.